It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A-10 Upgrades: More Weapons, maybe more power!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The A-10 is the subject of an ongoing series of upgrades including:

precision engagement (PE) program, which will give the A-10 a precision-weapons capability

The PE program is adding new cockpit displays and the ability to use Northrop Grumman's Litening targeting pod or Lockheed Martin's Sniper XR targeting pod. It also is adding the ability to use two precision-guided weapons: Boeing's Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) and Lockheed Martin's Wind Corrected Munitions Dispenser (WCMD).

More power and more connectivity too!

In fiscal 2006, the Air Force likely will begin a development effort to improve the thrust of the jet's two General Electric TF34-100 engines. Production is slated to start in FY '09.

In addition, Lockheed Martin is studying options to equip the A-10 with a data-link to improve situational awareness in the cockpit. The company expects to finish that assessment for the Air Force by the end of CY '05.

A-10 Upgrades

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Fred check this thread

USAF's long-life A-10 force gets smarter

Seems as if the A-10 upgrade/life extension program is much in the news recently

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I still wish the Airforce would allow the army to use A-10s themselves. Just think of the Army having command of a CAS unit working in tadem with Attack choppers.

Btw, I thought the Airforce was going ot Phase out the A-10 with the introcution of the F-15 and F-16 for strike missions?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Last thing I heard was they were retiring the A-10 system around 2010~2015 and then I heard of the life extension program

Well I love this A/C so im not complaing what so ever...

new topics

top topics

join