It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Small Metal Door in Kitchen of Old House

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

True! I have looked through it somewhat. There was once an apartment or a bedroom down there, there is a non functioning bathroom in a large room the property managers use one table to put paint and such on. There's old wallpaper and oddly, a sink that looks like where you get your hair washed in a salon. Besides the sink in the old bathroom. It is a big maze down there, many rooms.

They gave me a huge storage room. When the others are pretty tiny. The washers are free, the dryers are coin. I have never heard of that for apartment buildings.

This was once one big house. There are no other apartments on the street.

Curiouser and curiouser.

edit on 15-11-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

If it drops to the basement, my money is on some sort of waste disposal chute.

It's piqued my interest for sure

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Yes, it appears to have once led to an incinerator. It is odd I can't get to that part of the basement though. You open a door and there is wood blocking, but not completely. I'll have to bring a flashlight down. I will do that in the DAY. NO way I am going down there now. LOL.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

I will probably have material for another thread. Now I am creeping myself out. But my references were never checked, they never got a call. No one called my employer, she said no one called. I checked my credit report for hard or soft checks. Nothing.

It is not that difficult to get an apartment here, but a management company normally makes a phone call. I don't think I was ever asked for even identification. Hmm...

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:56 AM
link   
That's either for wood for the oven or for a flour bag...

You said it's in the kitchen right?

Probably kept for nostalgia purposes.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Make sure you look under any loose floorboards, in the attic, basement......
I once found a 1940s Superman comic book in an old house my Uncle bought. It was so fragile,, it just fell apart when I picked it up.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

You have to remember that 100 years or so ago (up until the 1920's & 1930's), large homes still had live-in servants...even folks who were not considered wealthy had them.
Often these houses had separate staircases, bathrooms and entrances for the servants so they could move through the house relatively unseen by the owners.
I renovated my first home, which was very large and over 125 years old. It had servant bedrooms and a bath in the attic...as well as in the basement.

I love the old places. Renovating mine, revealed all sorts of interesting artifacts and historic features.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

When we did ours I rewired the servants bell so I can use it to summon my wife when I need another brewski.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

When we did ours I rewired the servants bell so I can use it to summon my wife when I need another brewski.

I'll bet that incinerator chute came in pretty handy as well.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I wisely disabled that.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Good job, Nancy Drew. You discovered it's an incinerator and not a chute the previous owners used to drop food to the prisoner in their basement.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
The shock collar isn't enough?

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
The shock collar isn't enough?

Sadly, no.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Sounds kind of creepy with the way your describing the management not credit checking or asking for ID ? ....I would make sure there aren't any peep holes in the walls or hidden cameras ! .... Just kidding....but I do agree with David64...old houses like that have hidden treasures....and depending on the outside yard , I'd think about metal detecting around the yard !

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1

Sounds kind of creepy with the way your describing the management not credit checking or asking for ID ? ....I would make sure there aren't any peep holes in the walls or hidden cameras !

Oh great! You went and told her about the peep holes and the hidden camera. Party pooper!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

and depending on the outside yard , I'd think about metal detecting around the yard !

We were able to locate the old cistern on my property and I have a few pieces of pottery and other artefacts that we uncovered.

There is also a horse buried in my back yard, it's legs were cut off to fit in in the grave. We thought it was just a neighborhood legend but it turned out to be true.

edit on 15-11-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

and depending on the outside yard , I'd think about metal detecting around the yard !

We were able to locate the old cistern on my property and I have a few pieces of pottery and other artefacts that we uncovered.

Same here. Found some great old bottles from the 1800's.
Also...under the porch wall I found 'bobbed' hair wrapped in damask and tied with a ribbon. Research revealed that young women did this as a good luck ritual in the '20's to help them find and marry their true love.

EDIT: Also had an old house (1909) in the Hollywood Hills. At some point a western film star lived there.
The place was large, but apparently he had his favorite horse stuffed and sealed into one of the walls. I found the section it must have been interred (ironically, the Living room)...but never opened it up.
edit on 15-11-2016 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

See... it is for SJW Gnomes... an oubliette in the kitchen... how deliciously e-vil

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Could have been used for may things, not just for what's its ment for, guess you could use it for anything you would like, pretty cool though, id put a lock on it then use it as a secret storage unit to hide various items.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Always have a camera running.
Who knows, maybe you will be the star of the next found footage horror movie.

creepy old house turned apartments, only one other resident. Strange rooms and chutes, and doors, and no one checked your references, Uh oh, no one knows you're there!
who knows what's behind the walls...
or under the house.
or in the basement.

If there is an incinerator in the basement ( even if there isn't ) maybe they used it to burn people alive who started to ask too many questions.

When's the housewarming party?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join