It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Jefferson Quotes Offensive Say Professors @ University OF Virginia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I personally hope the left keeps doing stuff exactly like this. It's one of the main reasons we have President Elect Trump. Instead of looking inward and figuring out why they lost they keep doubling down on the things that made them lose the white vote. I noticed on Bill Maher this past weekend and in some other leftwing places, that some people on the left even realize this. If you're on the left it seems like it's much more important to virtue signal than to acknowledge how your actions have alienated the largest group of voters. Oh, and DNC , please, please, please make Keith Ellison DNC chair that will win so many former Obama voters that voted for Trump back in the Rust Belt.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This whole thing is ridiculously ironic since Jefferson founded the University of Virginia.

PC gone wild AGAIN.

Time to put away those diapers, kiddies. Time to grow up and recognize that other people have opinions and that we cannot rewrite history to soothe your booboo.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Seems like an objective person would approach this understanding that it was legal to own other people in the 1700's and until the civil war in the 1860's, long after Jefferson's death. I view this like any other horrible item from the past, learn from it, don't repeat it.
Maybe because of the children he had with his deceased wife's slave? This may be the main reason that the left gets so riled up.
anusha.com...

I think it has more to do with an analogy to today. Jefferson was against slavery, but in order to maintain his own financial status he supported the system. There's a lot of people who support broken systems today because it benefits them.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I think it has more to do with an analogy to today. Jefferson was against slavery, but in order to maintain his own financial status he supported the system. There's a lot of people who support broken systems today because it benefits them.

In other words Jefferson was a hipocrit.

I am a hipocrit, it is impossible to not be especially if you have children.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I`m pretty sure slavery was legal in Jefferson`s time.

who knows maybe in the distant future everyone who drove a car in 2016 will be deemed unworthy of being quoted since their use of a car contributed to global warming.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
Great point.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Am I the only one reading this and wondering what it is that Jefferson said that is so horrible.

He owned slaves...as many did at that time.

No matter how much you attempt to rewrite history and "whitewash" it.... it's just a matter of putting makeup over a pimple.

Still there.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

In other words Jefferson was a hipocrit.

I am a hipocrit, it is impossible to not be especially if you have children.

He was, but I don't think that's what people find offensive since as you pointed out, pretty much everyone is a hypocrite at one point or another. I think the real question over Jefferson is what does that mean for us today? Is the correct course of action to participate in a broken system for self benefit, until it eventually collapses? Capitalism as we practice it today is just as unsustainable as slavery was in the 1800's and has similar ethical concerns.

Accepting Jeffersons actions also means accepting that we're saying it's ok to use and support child labor in shoe factories, or fishermen in Indonesia who make 4 cents a day, or even that we're saying it's ok for people here in America to not have a living wage from their job, or any other employer abuse you want to insert.

Denying it though is equally tricky, because Jefferson did a lot of good things too.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Can't ague, hit it on the head.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: NuncaPiensas

Am I the only one reading this and wondering what it is that Jefferson said that is so horrible.

He owned slaves...as many did at that time.

No matter how much you attempt to rewrite history and "whitewash" it.... it's just a matter of putting makeup over a pimple.

Still there.

I don't hold any ill will for what people legally did when they were alive. It seems to be the height of intolerance to retroactively hold people accountable to what we consider to be the pinnacle of civility.

In other words the school professors are dumb as$eSS, the students are supposed to be idiots with hair.
edit on 15-11-2016 by seasonal because: spell check

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

“Thomas Jefferson wrote to a friend that University of Virginia students ‘are not of ordinary significance only: they are exactly the persons who are to succeed to the government of our country, and to rule its future enmities, its friendships and fortunes,’” Sullivan said in the email. “I encourage today’s U.Va. students to embrace that responsibility.”

i don't know anyone better fit to rule over me than myself.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: goou111
Are people just looking for reasons to be offended? This is beyond stupid.

that is the definition of a politically correct culture. someone starts a fight, claims their civil rights are being violated, then has to be appeased before all the bored mindless drones take up flags and start rallying because it is easier than addressing issues of actual import. people like drama and excitement, especially if it takes their minds off of legitimate problems that are too complicated to be solved simply by protesting and viral media. reminds me of a quote... "the problem with this world is that the fools are too bold and the wise are too timid"
edit on 15-11-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
nothing like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Was Jefferson a nice guy? I'd say likely not. He owned slaves and ran up enormous debt holding fancy parties. He was an Aristocrat of the highest order.

Did Jefferson possess a brilliant mind? You bet your ass he did. And the legacy of this mind is his extensive library of writings. It'd be a shame to ignore it because we don't like the person he was. That has to be the least academic thing I have ever heard.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
nothing like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Was Jefferson a nice guy? I'd say likely not. He owned slaves and ran up enormous debt holding fancy parties. He was an Aristocrat of the highest order.

Did Jefferson possess a brilliant mind? You bet your ass he did. And the legacy of this mind is his extensive library of writings. It'd be a shame to ignore it because we don't like the person he was. That has to be the least academic thing I have ever heard.

it may be useful to point out there is a difference between brilliant philosophical insight and a complete disregard for socioeconomic trend...
edit on 15-11-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

just more nonsense that devalidates the left and mutes its voice to critical ears.....

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This is the kind of stuff that happens when you allow the school teachers to have lunch together....

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

This is the kind of stuff that happens when you allow the school teachers to have lunch together....

The minds that come up with this stuff. There must be no opposing opinions, that's how this happens. Birds of a feather flock together.
edit on 15-11-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join