It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

What event/story first made you interested in the unknown?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Have you ever seen anything in the triangle personally? Like weird storms etx?

link   

link   

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: trustnoone07

What brought me here was research to rebuke some of the pro-Mayan Calander 2012 world is going to end doomsayers. This was back in late 2001 early 2002, or there abouts. A guy by the name of Alien, who happened to have ties with Maori Elders being from NZ, had some really fantastic insight into the culture. He, at the time, detailed what the true intent / meaning of Ka Hinga Te Ari meant to some of the older and wiser of the Mayan elders, and had shown how, like in any language, the meanings of some words had changed over time...which was what had likely given rise to the assumption that people made about some doomsday prophecy.

As it turned out, what began to seem more likely, was that it was portending a rebirth of the cycles, or a passing behind the veil which had become confused by modern day linguists to translate as Falling of the Curtain. Shoosh, I could talk about mayan culture and their use of zero as a value all day long, but in some long-winded effort to make a long story short, it was research.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Its funny that you say that because I remember borrowing a book that had a section on monsters and there was one story that has literally stuck with me for LIFE

It was about some monster that people could hear scratching in the ceiling underneath their roof tiles and cut through the plaster ceiling with is claws... but when it was searched for they found nothing...

Well.. then there is me... 1998.... 9 years old... all the lights off... staring at the ceiling.... hearing monsters (read: possums) scratching on the roof ready to get me hahaha

The thought crosses my mind now even as an adult as I'm going to sleep sometimes haha

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

So I guess that is very similar to what alot of new age type people talk about when they say we are moving our consciousness into the 5th dimension?

The Maori people of NZ are very very wise... my dad is from NZ and so I grew up being read alot of myth and legends- and have a healthy fear and respect for the taniwha!

It's a very mystical and powerful country... I've heard some creepy stories from people hunting late at night and apparitions in fog that are very chilling.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
For me it started young. My dad had an interest in government conspiracies and UFOs, growing up having many interesting conversations with him lead to my interest in such things. My grandfather who was in the Air Force also caused me to have a great interest in Black project aircraft and other things related to what he did in the Air Force. During my own time in the military my curiosity was heightened even further by things I had seen personally. When I found ATS it was like finding the holy grail of conspiracy and I was hooked right off the bat.When I found ATS it was purely by accident when I was hunting for info on aircraft that interest me.
edit on 14-11-2016 by Thoren because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: trustnoone07

Its funny that you say that because I remember borrowing a book that had a section on monsters and there was one story that has literally stuck with me for LIFE

It was about some monster that people could hear scratching in the ceiling underneath their roof tiles and cut through the plaster ceiling with is claws... but when it was searched for they found nothing...

Well.. then there is me... 1998.... 9 years old... all the lights off... staring at the ceiling.... hearing monsters (read: possums) scratching on the roof ready to get me hahaha

The thought crosses my mind now even as an adult as I'm going to sleep sometimes haha

What was the story about?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Well pretty much people would hear scratching in their roof cavity and chalk it up to rats etc

Until one day it cut through the ceiling with its claws and they could see this creature scrathing through the ceiling with its claws but when they went to find it they didn't find anything!

Thankfully- no monster ever clawed through a ceiling to try and eat me!

- but when I think about that story as an adult- i wonder if it is similar to the whole "spring heeled Jack" mythology/mothman kind of monsters and if there is something to that

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

was there an event that made you a hard line skeptic

Yea sure.... when that doctor slapped me just as I left that warm comfy place.
Been downhill ever since then....

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I had a rather abnormal childhood; my father was a schizophrenic, and my main parent during my formative years, so I got to experience first-hand his delusions. Though much of it was nonsensical, my wide-eyed child-self drank it all in, and occasionally he would have good moments flittered throughout his episodes.

So.... while one day he would believe he was a long-deceased neighbour who had once lived next to us, and the next day he was telling me to throw out everything in the pantry because the people at the grocery store were trying to poison us, he would then have occasional moments of lucidity where we would read books together about the mysteries of the world, of the Bermuda Triangle, of Atlantis, of ancient cultures and ancient beliefs.

We had a telescope in the backyard and we would look up at the stars. I remember him showing me Mars and how he believed that's where we came from. My bedroom was a mass of glow-in-the-dark stars and posters of the Milky Way. He would tell me a few Aboriginal stories and how he believed they all had a "deeper" meaning.

So while I've never personally seen a UFO, or a ghost, or a yowie or a min min light.. I've always been open to them. And I know people who HAVE experienced such things, and while they're not my own experiences that I can personally validate, I believe the people who have shared with me.

My only personal experiences are of the precognition variety - had my first precognitive dream when I was 10 years old (not claiming "the end of the world" scenarios, all of my dreams have been personal and relating to me and my life directly), and ever since then I've believed there is more to the world.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I was pretty much forced into this kind of stuff as a kid.
My parents insisted our house was haunted, and would talk about it, scaring the crap out of me. (and they wondered why I never slept...) I never witnessed anything. My father would always tell me about his UFO encounter, too... like all the time.
My big sister would mess with me and tell me stories about demonic possessions and the Jersey Devil living in our tree house... I was like 4 or 5 at the time, by the way.

Basically, I was scared into it

Then I grew up and realized there is no real absolute scientific proof for any of it!
I sleep great now!

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
When I was in second and third grade (and beyond) back almost 30 years ago I got really interested in the unknown.

At my school library they had those Time Life books "Mysteries of the Unknown". There was a whole collection, perhaps several dozen in the series. I read them all and they were definitely my favorite books.

Now looking back on this wonderful series of books, I have a huge place in my Heart for them and am very thankful that they found there ways into libraries all across the nation to inspire kids and adults alike to question the world around them and think twice about everything.

By merely approaching these types of subjects, from mysterious places to ghosts to cryptozoology or ufos, you are both forced to open your mind to countless possibilities and to also become skeptical because of the territory. The topics of hoaxes or misidentification or legends, etc, is introduced while at the same time, unsolved cases abound. This I believe increases the intelligence and curiosity of the beholder, and promotes academia and scholarship in various ways.

I look back lovingly and proud of that little kid who wanted to read and absorb everything he could about those 'strange subjects' in those dark books hidden away in the library at his school. I can only hope the kids today are so inclined.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

Thank you for sharing that! The filter of mental illness can definitely bring a different aspect to childhood, when suffered by your main caregiver

I'm from Australia too and I would love to believe that their are yowies and bunyips etc

The dreaming stories always paint such beautiful truths and fierce warnings! The power of belief especially from such ancient stories... when I learnt about aboriginal dreaming stories- one thing that really resonated and made sense to me is that all the stories are omnipresent... that it is a living breathing past, present and future... and that's why it's so important not to disrupt sacred sites especially with mine in the desert etc

edit on 14-11-2016 by trustnoone07 because: Missed a word

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
when I was around 12 and watched the movie "alien" and "black hole" and read a book about UFO´s at the libary

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Excellent thread OP!

While I cannot pinpoint the exact 'mythos' that lured me into the world of mystery, I can tell you that I've always had a fascination with the Occult from a very young age. I can remember what I believe to be my first clairvoyant experience.

In the case of ATS, I was doing some research a year or so ago about Dr. Jacques Vallee and his connection to Ingo Swann. Specifically, I wanted to know why Vallee has never publicly criticized Scientology the way he has criticized the Heavens Gate cult for example.

Upon my investigation I stumbled onto The Gut's epic thread titled Jacques Vallee & The Control System. I read the entire thread and began lurking on ATS until somebody made a thread about the Betty & Barney Hill star chart that was, shall I say politely, quite contrived.

So I made an account, debunked that thread and I've been actively posting since. Admittedly, most of my posts as of late have been politically motivated. I'm not proud of it.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
When I was a child, my Dad and I were in the back yard at night in the winter, burning leaves and wood in a barrel.
Overhead, this white doughnut shaped object silently glided from horizon to horizon, almost over us. Way up, it appeared.
I remember my Dad just saying "that is very strange..", and of course I had a thousand questions for him.

That did it for me, as from then on I tried to read everything I could about UFO's. Still do to this day.

Addend. My readership and detail level pales in comparison with some others here. (You know who you are.)
edit on 15-11-2016 by charlyv because: content

edit on 15-11-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   

For me it was my Nan buying "The Unexplained" magazine when we visited on weekends.

Way too many topics to detail through its 156 issues but standouts for me are Bugfoot, Men in Black (before the idiot movies) And spirit voice recording. The Voice issue even came with a plastic 7" recording to play back

en.m.wikipedia.org...(magazine)

dawnfinch.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
My father was fascinated with UFOs and Ghosts. We had CD rom back in the mid-late 90s with interactive "real" stories about UFOS etc and I would sit on his knee and I'd get terrified. But I grew to love it. I was only around 5 or 6... but it's stuck since then.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
When I was growing up I remember the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" had a big impact on people. Then when I was in college I read this book that talked about "phantom panthers".

Sal

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join