It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What event/story first made you interested in the unknown?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to start a thread in the gray zone asking our broad ranged community what event, or series of events opened up your world to the possibility of the paranormal.

Or alternatively, was there an event that made you a hard line skeptic? That challenged your faith in the world as we see it?

One of my favourite threads of all time is the "Forrest stories" thread and the reason that I enjoyed reading through that so much was because it is nice to read people's personal experiences, I find them far more fascinating then reading through or watching hours of endless regurgitated information about famous paranormal events.

For me, I started to "question everything" growing up with a dad who had a UFO encounter in the late 80s and hearing his stories. I have searched the Web for anecdotes that are similar to his or what it could have been.

Its a quest that takes up a fair chunk of my spare time for at least the past 10 years.. and I imagine that would be the same for most of you with your respective experiences.

So what I want to know is what event brought you to seek answers? Did you ever find the answers you were looking for?

Thank you

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Perturbations on the outer planets.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: trustnoone07

There are hundreds of thousands of stories and tales of weird, mythical, mysterious things/events/creatures.

They all can't be wrong.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Pumapunku

Being a metal worker and machinist, I know how difficult it is to form/shape/cut/slot metal. This place is astounding.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: overanocean

Planet X right?

That's something that has been gaining alot of weight for me recently, especially because I've noticed alot more in MSM about a nineth planet being discovered soon etc etc

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I became interested in it all because I grew up in New Orleans... plus I had a grandmother that believed in all sorts of beasties and haints. I have always had my feet in 2 cultures.. and Im serious when I say that all of these things cant be coincidences. Things that cross cultural lines.. and even lines of time over the ages. In college I joined a special interest group way back before ghost hunting was cool. We were weirdo dorks at best! LOL! But I can say I believe in the unbelievable. Ive experienced things that are hard to rationalize.

Its a big old mystifying world out there if you look around.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Was there a specific case that stood out for you?

I think for me the Phoenix lights incident really made me wonder how so many people could deny the UFOs exist, even after such a massive group sighting.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
A beautiful orb that's scared me for some reason

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

The older I got, the more boring the world became. Paranormal = No Limits = Tremendous Possibilities.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

It really makes you wonder doesn't it.

Even looking at precision cut hyrogliphics and drilling in Eygpt it blows my mind to think that human hands and crude tools were capable of that, and even more mind blowing to think that it could have been anything else- that history isn't how we know it

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

There are many in a variety of genre's.

UFO's? I remember reading somewhere a government report that gave explanations for 90 - 95% of all sightings.

The remainder is still unexplained.

Then you dive into the supernatural. Ghosts, things that go bump in the night.

Then elves, fae, different races.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Great topic.
I became interested in mysteries after hearing about the Bermuda Triangle and Atlantis when i was a child. There are lots of theories about both but they are still mysteries.

I started to believe in ghosts after living in a haunted house for 4 years growing up. When you experience paranormal activity first hand it makes you a believer. The spirit in our house was a good one. Sort of a Casper.. Although it didn't like my grandma. When she visited it would knock stuff over and make noises. I think it wanted her to leave. She didn't visit too often after the first couple times. Really scared her.

Then around the same time I got interested in doomsday scenarios when i found a book in the house called Countdown to Armaggedon. It said the world would end in 2000.

UFO's I don't know why but i guess just because it's one of the greatest mysteries ever. More skeptical on them than i used to be since joining this site. But the truth is out there.

edit on 14-11-2016 by EchoesInTime because: sp

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

That's one of my favorites also! I have no trouble giving Ancient Man his due when it comes to building. We see many things thought impossible, proven to be the product of time, skill and patience.......and then there's Pumapunku. Those cuts were NOT made by men with time, skill and patience, they were made with advanced machinery. That anyone could even begin to think that stones weighing 80 to 100 metric tons, that were quarried over 5 miles away and brought up a long steep slope, was done solely by muscle power.................

If anyone has doubt that Man has had contact with advanced beings, look into Pumapunka.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
In search of!
Loved that show.
I have never seen a ghost, Bigfoot or a UFO....dammit..

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

That's the best! - supernatural geek squad!

I really do believe that intention is everything, the old ways and cultures exist for a reason!

I'm from Australia, and my ancestors migrated here from Germany in the 1890s- they brought with them all of their superstitions that have been passed down.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Even when they go through and microscopically prove that it was not done with chisels. Admittedly, I'm not a pro on the subject but it does fascinate me and I'm awaiting the time in my life when I can dedicate more time to looking into it.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Exactly. That site shakes mankinds history right down to its foundation.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I'd say there's more than one for me. Early on it was bigfoot and other cryptos. The paranormal due to experiences. Then into the Bermuda Triangle(lived in it's corner). Then onto UFOs, etc.

May be closer to some answers, but nearly not enough. Not a big deal since it's still the fascinating part of the journey into the unknown.
edit on 14-11-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

I remember my grandfather having all these old readers digest books from the 70s on ancient mysteries and Atlantis that preinternet days I was read over and over when I would visit as a child.

The house I grew up in im sure was haunted, we would have things smash and weird presences in the house... and it was always really cold even when it shouldn't have been.

I used to chalk it up to an overactive imagination... big draughty house is always going to conjure at least one good ghost story - but speaking to my mum about it lately - she admitted there were times she was a bit freaked out too

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Of course as nearly every child does, I thought a bit about monsters. I was really into reading at a young age. When I was I think 11 my grandmother bought me an old book named Oddities, A Book Of Unexplained Facts by Rupert T. Gould. I must have read it 3 times that summer. I still have it and read it again every 4 or so years.

I was hooked at that point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join