It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TAKE A SEC. TO READ/Chili's manager who took away man's free Veterans Day meal fired

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I used to work for this company, for nearly 9 years.

This manager is an idiot.

The veteran's day free meal is from a limited menu and I can tell you the food cost is no more than $4.00 as a max for what is on that menu.

I've also dealt with service animals and the morons who complain about them.

Both the mental midget who complained and this dillweed manger need to ask themselves how they would feel in this circumstance.

I'm sure the manager has already had an uncomfortable conversation with the Area Manager for that unit.

Agreed, they fired the idiot manager who wasn't smart enough to tell the nosy customer to mnd his own business.

I like your writing style

Here is my question, why is racism like this right in anyone's mind? I have many black friends, and co workers, and students. Why would anyone think about behaving like this, or think this was right in any way?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: LifeMode
I missed the part about the ID. If it's a current ID then yes. Someone needs to get fired. Not sure why anyone would carry around papers if they had a valid ID but to each their own. That's what threw me off, seeing he showed discharge papers. I apologize.

Can you please fill me in on this ID, I am a proud veteran and currently receive my health care from the VA. How do I get one of these ID's, I carried a copy of my DD214 around with me for many years.

Yes. You can get one at any military base. Do a search for RAPIDS Military ID.

You schedule an appointment on the RAPIDS site. I did it a few weeks ago for me and my wife. I'm retired 20 year veteran so that is what I used. I'm not 100% if this is for non retirees but I know all Veterans can get an ID. I would call the VA and ask. Obama passed a bill for all Veterans for ID cards several years ago.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I missed the part about the ID. If it's a current ID then yes. Someone needs to get fired. Not sure why anyone would carry around papers if they had a valid ID but to each their own. That's what threw me off, seeing he showed discharge papers. I apologize.

Can you please fill me in on this ID, I am a proud veteran and currently receive my health care from the VA. How do I get one of these ID's, I carried a copy of my DD214 around with me for many years.

You schedule an appointment on the RAPIDS site. I did it a few weeks ago for me and my wife. I'm retired 20 year veteran so that is what I used. I'm not 100% if this is for non retirees but I know all Veterans can get an ID. I would call the VA and ask. Obama passed a bill for all Veterans for ID cards several years ago.

Ok I live with a retired military vet that is married to my mother, they both carry retired military ID's, my mother receives her last one tomorrow, as she is over 75. If you are retired military, you and your beneficiaries have ID's, why would you need something from another program, I am confused.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Rapids only seems to be for the Navy, most of the other sites that pop up in that search, I will avoid. I have a VA card.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Ok I live with a retired military vet that is married to my mother, they both carry retired military ID's, my mother receives her last one tomorrow, as she is over 75. If you are retired military, you and your beneficiaries have ID's, why would you need something from another program, I am confused.

It's the official site for the military to schedule an appointment for an ID or an expired one. I don't know why they call it RAPIDS. It stands for something...don't know but that is the official site to get an official ID.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

RAPIDS is for all branches. I retired Army Guard and scheduled one through them on an Air Force base.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

a reply to: BubbaJoe

RAPIDS is for all branches. I retired Army Guard and scheduled one through them on an Air Force base.

Thanks guys, I will look into it. I have two bases equi distance from me, may go visit my alma mater, the 509th Bomb Wing.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: LifeMode

Discharge paper dont mean squat in your world.

Your DD214 is official government document. In fact, your dd214 is what is asked for any veterans applying for health care, benefits, or certain jobs. Your post military id is as valid as a driver's license, a dd214 has no other equivalent.

Anyone can forge a DD 214. ID card much harder. Go try and use a DD214 to get a discount at Lowes or Home Depot. They will not accept it. You need an ID card. If all stores would require an ID card there would be much less fraud which there is a lot of it on Veterans Day. I have seen it and it's BS.

I am really beginning to think you don't have any idea and are spouting BS. I have received discounts etc, without anyone asking for proof. If you legitimately tell them you are a veteran, most businesses are happy to offer the discount. Even found that to be the case when my hair was halfway down my back, have never had anyone question my military service. Something stinks with your line of reasoning.

Actually, he's right. I just found out you can take your DD-214 to the Drivers License place and get "veteran" placed on your ID so you can use it to get a discount at Lowes. I am currently a frequent customer and could use that 10% so I did this.

Actually did not know this, just renewed my license, but will remember that the next time. I am sure that varies by state though.

In Florida they charge extra for this 'service'. Can you believe that?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: LifeMode

Discharge paper dont mean squat in your world.

Your DD214 is official government document. In fact, your dd214 is what is asked for any veterans applying for health care, benefits, or certain jobs. Your post military id is as valid as a driver's license, a dd214 has no other equivalent.

Anyone can forge a DD 214. ID card much harder. Go try and use a DD214 to get a discount at Lowes or Home Depot. They will not accept it. You need an ID card. If all stores would require an ID card there would be much less fraud which there is a lot of it on Veterans Day. I have seen it and it's BS.

I am really beginning to think you don't have any idea and are spouting BS. I have received discounts etc, without anyone asking for proof. If you legitimately tell them you are a veteran, most businesses are happy to offer the discount. Even found that to be the case when my hair was halfway down my back, have never had anyone question my military service. Something stinks with your line of reasoning.

Actually, he's right. I just found out you can take your DD-214 to the Drivers License place and get "veteran" placed on your ID so you can use it to get a discount at Lowes. I am currently a frequent customer and could use that 10% so I did this.

Actually did not know this, just renewed my license, but will remember that the next time. I am sure that varies by state though.

In Florida they charge extra for this 'service'. Can you believe that?

Lived in FL for six years, they charge extra for everything. But no income tax, you have to balance it out.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I got my vet ID from the VA hospital. In not receiving care there, since the husband has us on reserve select and I'm not disablity rated. They issues me an ID without any problems.

I have a problem with this story.

Why would he be wearing his uniform? If he got out in the 80s, why does he have a current style of BDU shown in the video newscast?

Why is he wearing his hat indoors while in uniform?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: collietta
I got my vet ID from the VA hospital. In not receiving care there, since the husband has us on reserve select and I'm not disablity rated. They issues me an ID without any problems.

Why would he be wearing his uniform? If he got out in the 80s, why does he have a current style of BDU shown in the video newscast?

Possibly a ccw holder, if he was under arms, can wear a hat indoors.

edit on 11/14/2016 by BubbaJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: collietta

If you attend veteran events, there are many that wear their entire uniforms, including their hats, or their covers for my marine brothers and sisters. No one seems to have a problem with it. If I would have hung on to them, my dress blues would still fit me, unfortunately the only thing I have left is my pinger coat, and it is actually in pretty good condition.
edit on 11/14/2016 by BubbaJoe because: brain faster than fingers

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I guess they never heard of the Buffalo soldiers- or the Flying Tigers. Only a real assh%let would tell a vet that they are not a vet.... Someone should've asked the white guy for his DD213.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114
I guess they never heard of the Buffalo soldiers- or the Flying Tigers. Only a real assh%let would tell a vet that they are not a vet.... Someone should've asked the white guy for his DD213.

Apparently you are confused, it would be the Buffalo Soldiers or the Tuskegegee Airmen, the AA individuals that served in these units have my utmost respect. You are my brothers in arms.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Did they?

Glad to hear it.

Next time I'm down on the island, I will make a point to ask a buddy of mine who still works for them.

He's a huge lefty and probably voted for her (you know who I mean), though he is smart enough not to have fallen for this garbage. He also would have set the person straight about the service animal.

If I had been in that situation, I would have politely told the guy who was initiated this mess that it wasn't his concern and that the service animal was welcome in any public place by law.

If he still insisted on making an ass out of himself, I would have handed him my Area Manager's card and told him that he would be more than welcome to discuss the matter further. That likely would have shut him up.

This is actually one of the few things where you can call a customer wrong and the Area Manager will back up the Restaurant Manager, this and when making the decision to cut someone off from alcohol; they get real belligerent when you do this. I didn't have to do it often, but now and then, well they all ask for the Area Manager's phone # and 9 times out of ten never bother to call.

I am not surprised at all that the manager got fired for this. I would also imagine that a company wide email went out as well as reinforcement from Area Managers, Regional Managers, and Divisional Vice Presidents about this. GMs/MPs had emergency manager meetings, and I would imagine it was a hot topic in pre-shift meetings with the servers too.

Brinker would not want the image of it's flagship brand to this tarnished.

Indeed:

Chili’s parent company, Brinker International sent us a written statement that reads in part, “We are taking this very seriously and the leaders in our company are actively involved with the goal of making it right.”

The restaurant chain also posted several responses to customers on its Facebook page writing in part, “Unfortunately, we fell short on a day that we strive to honor our Veterans and active military for their service.”

Now, I do question whther it is necessary to take this step:

Walker’s attorney, Kim Cole, says an attorney for Brinker has apologized to her on behalf of the company, and the two sides plan to meet on Monday to discuss the incident.

“I certainly hope that Brinker International takes a stand and makes it clear that they don’t condone that type of behavior in their establishment,” Cole said.

Walker said he plans to file assault charges against the manager he says made physical contact when he took back his free meal. However, he also says he’s a forgiving person and hopes meeting with Brinker will be a positive step.

Veteran in dispute with Chili's over Veteran's Day meal incident

Personally, I think the hit to the company image and to see that the manager was fired (have a link for that btw?) would be enough, but it's not my decision.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Even if the guy totally faked the whole thing (not that I'm saying he did ) ...but if he went to all that trouble for a $10 meal...let him have it.
But pulling a meal away from someone in the middle of them eating it ....unless there is way more to this story then we know. That's unacceptable. It would be nice to hear exactly what the manager had to say though....

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Unfortunately, I have read two or three versions of this story, in one the black gentleman was much older, and the white gentleman indicated that blacks were not allowed to serve in WWII. A 47 YO black man serving, he is much younger than I, and I had both black co-workers and students during my years in the military.

What area of common sense would allow you to question what someone claimed was a service animal, as long as it was well behaved and doing what it was supposed to. Cheezus people have lost their f'n minds.
My paternal grandfather was Black and served in the USAF during WWII, even earned a Purple Heart and my maternal grandfather served in the Navy during WWII. Guess they didn't get the memo.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Chili's president Kelli Valade said in a prepared statement that the restaurant immediately removed the manager.

www.dallasnews.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Don't you realize that a guy who made lots of racist comments won the presidency so it's ok to do racist things in the open now. Of course it isn't but what do expect out of these brain dead zombies Trump courted. It's time to pay the piper.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I've met Valade a couple of times, she's pretty nice for one of those corporate types.

Your source says:

Updated Nov. 14: Revised to include that manager was put on leave and statements from the Chili's president and the Cedar Hill mayor.

On leave is not fired, though it very well likely could lead to that.

Although I do believe that this man has a legitimate complaint, I don't think it was necessary to inject this bit of politicization into the argument:

"I do believe that the election has changed the hearts and changed the motives of people so much so that he believed in his heart and mind after talking to the Trump supporter that I was stealing food," Walker said.

Dog's name is Barack which, whether or not he is named after the president, also gives a bit more slant to the story; even if subtly.

Some elements of this story have a bit of a whiff about them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join