It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

"A nation divided against itself cannot stand."

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
We have once again become the house divided, as we were at the point in time of Pres Lincoln's pre-Civil War speech.

Ornstein and Mann link political rise of Trump to GOP's long war on government

I pretty much subscribe to the Ornstein-Mann thesis, which sometimes goes by the rubric “asymmetric polarization,” although my own analysis also relies on some of the inherent shortcomings of the U.S. system of government. Our system relies more on bipartisan compromise than any other system. In the absence of willingness to compromise, our system breaks down in a way that others would not, because the others have fewer chokepoints for legislation and most of them have more than two parties, which makes various coalitions possible. In a typical parliamentary system, the prime minister never vetoes a bill. And if the governing party or coalition cannot pass legislation, it triggers an election so the voters can put in a government that can govern.

A read of the full article makes the issue clear. We have devolved into factions, it IS "them" and the "other side". It is this 20 year build up into asymmetric polarization governmentaly that is our undoing. We have no system of governing to help us through this now. We are two factions which would be the undoing of the form of democracy that our Founding Fathers gave to us. Our Founding Fathers warned us. We did not see, or refused to see, or refused to do anything about this build up. But, we were warned.

We sure we're warned. We were warned against the rise of political parties, at all. We were warned to never allow them to exist and divide us.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: gernblan

They warned us about two parties becoming factions, not the idea of a two party system. They set up the mechanisms for a two party system to compromise. Since Newt Gingrich party leadership in the 1990s, we stridently devolved into "us" versus "them", no compromise (a dirty word), Gingrich calling Dems "enemies", and GOP RINOing their own party until it held only extremists (and RINOing is still going on over Trump!).

John Adams talks about parties devolving into factions, "concerting measures in opposition"...

There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.

Political evil, mind you! "The evil of our time is the loss of consciousness of evil".... a quote I read somewhere.

And here is George Washington, farewell address I believe

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty

"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night". Another great quote I love :-)

<< 1   >>

join