It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

"A nation divided against itself cannot stand."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
America. America is failing. Not because of the leaders we elect, but rather it is in how we treat our neighbors. This past election brought out the most extreme is us. It brought out the good, and even more so, the bad. And this division continues to widen. While I was not a Trump supporter I will now stand up for his right to be President. Our friends, our family and our fellow countrymen made a democratic decision. And that is what America stands for.

While I may not always agree with President Trump, I will honor him as our duly elected leader. Now this does not mean I will agree, or even accept, his policies. I will even voice dissent on those issues I disagree with. And I will do so without violence. No, it is not a perfect system, it never has been. But it is the best damn system we have on the planet today. And remember, without the support of the Legislative and Judicial branches, President Trump is limited in power. Our founding fathers setup our government so that no one man would have to much control over our country.

It is now time to set aside our hatred of "them" and the "other side". Let us again join hands and remember that we are an inclusive country. Remember that America was built on the hard working hands and shoulders of individuals and families from every country on this beautiful planet. We have taken in the good and we have taken in the bad, but it is our ability to rise above the strife that makes us so great.

No, I did not want President Trump to be elected but that is exactly what is awesome about America, many more wanted him to lead us. If America is the greatest country, then we need to step back and say the process worked like it should have. We should say congratulations to the victor and console the minority. The way I see it having President Trump in the White House shows that America is still alive and kicking and our democracy still works. And I also say that America is stronger than one man. America will last for many generations to come. America belongs to us. Each and everyone. put away the hate and put forth the hand. Let the world see that America is more than an individual. Let them see that America consists of us, of you and I, a nation of Americans.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ObservingTheWorld

While a nice sentiment, I'm not sure how many will be willing to 'extend the hand', since they're too busy 'extending the fist'. We have a generation running amok, being manipulated by some really bad people, who have no interest in thinking for themselves.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

You said it perfectly. And while this post will be buried in no time, change must start somewhere. hopefully we can put to use this general disarray we are experiencing.
edit on 14-11-2016 by ObservingTheWorld because:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well democracy kinds of works, you still have a system where the person with the most votes can still lose.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
Well democracy kinds of works, you still have a system where the person with the most votes can still lose.

Except the United States is not a direct democracy, it is a representative republic.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Moderates and Conservatives Did Not Rebel and take to the Streets against President Obama during his 8 Years in Office even though Some of them Felt his Decisions and Policies were All Wrong for Our Country . They Respected his Legal Authority as an Elected Commander In Chief . In that regard , what the Liberal Establishment is doing now with Inciting Social Unrest , and they Are Supporting it , Borders on a Serious Disregard for the Rule Of Law against the United States of America . Those who do not make a Concerted Effort to Denounce this kind of Behavior as it is Happening Right Now , should be Held Accountable by the Very People they took an Oath to Represent and Protect .
edit on 14-11-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: spelling

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

When one side decides to not participates in the system like Republican's have since 2008 they already destroyed us all.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
We have once again become the house divided, as we were at the point in time of Pres Lincoln's pre-Civil War speech.

Ornstein and Mann link political rise of Trump to GOP's long war on government

I pretty much subscribe to the Ornstein-Mann thesis, which sometimes goes by the rubric “asymmetric polarization,” although my own analysis also relies on some of the inherent shortcomings of the U.S. system of government. Our system relies more on bipartisan compromise than any other system. In the absence of willingness to compromise, our system breaks down in a way that others would not, because the others have fewer chokepoints for legislation and most of them have more than two parties, which makes various coalitions possible. In a typical parliamentary system, the prime minister never vetoes a bill. And if the governing party or coalition cannot pass legislation, it triggers an election so the voters can put in a government that can govern.

A read of the full article makes the issue clear. We have devolved into factions, it IS "them" and the "other side". It is this 20 year build up into asymmetric polarization governmentaly that is our undoing. We have no system of governing to help us through this now. We are two factions which would be the undoing of the form of democracy that our Founding Fathers gave to us. Our Founding Fathers warned us. We did not see, or refused to see, or refused to do anything about this build up. But, we were warned.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
I just find it weird that people think that democracy means the will of the majority has been done, when that's not necessarily true, I'm in the UK, and it baffles me we still have this system, watching governments redraw boundaries to get more seats, and its just accepted. Weird.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I just find it weird that people think that democracy means the will of the majority has been done, when that's not necessarily true...

Because in some cases that is exactly what happens. In my state we had two referendums on election day, one passed, the other did not, it was a simple majority vote.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Oh, it can stand alright...but with sacrifices. Last time it was called the "CIVIL WAR" remember? The "war between the states".

The country was divided...and it stood. And it still stands. And it will continue to do so....

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Totally disagree. We artificially support the weakest amongst our society who are the democrats. If we let nature and evolution take its course the weak would die off and the strong would become our prevailing society. Instead we are forced to support those who as a whole provide little tangible benefit to our society. Yes it's cold hearted but there's no doubt we're a much weaker society because we are forced to support democrats.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JKlinero

Thats vicious! You are not in the wilderness, man. This is a society with rules, regulations and morals, not the animal kingdom, even if I agree that some democrats are obnoxious the same as some democrats think some republicans are equally obnoxious..

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Sane people tried to tell Trump and his supporters that the hatred he was spewing would produce the massive enmity we see today and it will only get worse

Nice OP indeed but its Trump who produced this and now nothing can be done about it unless he does something to ameliorate all the poison HE spewed

Trump is reaping what he has sown
It can’t be stopped now its too late

expect the worst

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
a reply to: JKlinero

Thats vicious! You are not in the wilderness, man. This is a society with rules, regulations and morals, not the animal kingdom, even if I agree that some democrats are obnoxious the same as some democrats think some republicans are equally obnoxious..

I understand the tone is harsh but that doesn't make it untrue. Democrats believe we are a stronger society if we support the most vulnerable. I personally believe that by supporting the weakest amongst us we're propagating weakness and I think science agrees. You can't have discourse on societial divisions without recognizing this.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Send all the Liberals to the west coast and let them secede. Trump can build a bigger wall.

I'm sorry, is it Progressive now? It used to be Liberal. Progressive seems to be oxymoronic? I haven't been getting my politically correct memo's lately.
edit on 14-11-2016 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Send all the Liberals to the west coast and let them secede.

And send all the right wing to Texas.....they have been threatening to secede for years. For Christ sake just do it already.

Leave us here in the Rocky mts alone, we have work to do....

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Progressive and Liberal are NOT the same

The Key Differences Between Progressive and Liberal, and how "Liberal" Thinking Can be Part of the Problem

Some background: Economic liberalism has typically focused on using the government's treasury as a means to ends, whether those ends are better healthcare (Medicare/Medicaid), stronger job growth (tax credits) or more robust export businesses (corporate subsidies). The idea is that taxpayer dollars can help individuals afford bare necessities and entice institutions to support the common good. Economic progressivism, by contrast, has historically trumpeted the government fiat as the best instrument of social change -- think food safety, minimum wage and labor laws, and also post-Depression financial rules and enforcement agencies. Progressivism's central theory is that government, as the nation's supreme authority, can set parameters channeling capitalism's profit motive into societal priorities -- and preventing that profit motive from spinning out of control.

Looked at this way, liberalism and progressivism once operated in tandem. But regardless of which of the two economic ideologies you particularly favor (if either), three of the recent epoch's most far-reaching initiatives make clear the former now dominates both parties.

It started in 2003 with Republicans' Medicare drug benefit. Rather than go the progressive route -- imposing price controls, permitting government to negotiate lower bulk prices or letting wholesalers buy drugs at cheaper foreign prices -- the bill hinged on taxpayer money. Essentially, the government gave $1.2 trillion to the pharmaceutical industry in exchange for the industry providing medicines to seniors.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
They are not a demographic for 50% of the populace ,WE shooter types KNOW that already ...NOT worried.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

That is by design. It prevents a possibly completely insane majority from taking control of the country and it allows the minority opinion to still be heard.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join