It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone relax: President-Elect Trump is different than Republican Nominee Trump.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Here is what you meant to say:
Campaign Trump: Political outsider
President Trump: Republican establishment crony

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Thanks for the positive post. It's nice to see some intelligence and compassion again.

ETA: and even though I'm a knuckle dagger who voted for Trump, I understood your post just fine.
edit on 14-11-2016 by network dude because: added thought for the slow folks

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Here is what you meant to say:
Campaign Trump: Political outsider
President Trump: Republican establishment crony

Well, no. What I meant to say, I said.

It's more like this:

Campaign Trump: Breitbart Personified
President Trump: Moderate and pragmatic

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Oh great, so that means that you voted for him based solely on lies on his part. Cool!

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Do you actually believe this or are you just being hopeful? Because I don't believe this for a second. I see the people that Trump has surrounded himself with and regardless of whatever verbal diarrhea is coming out of his mouth today the people who will have his ear are all right wing establishment types plus Bannon for that Woodrow Wilson style spice of bigotry.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: havok
Either way this country needs to settle down before they cause more damage.
Acting out in violent protests does NOTHING for our country.

He isn't even in office yet.
As for leaning more democrat than republican, well that is old news.
He has admittedly leaned left for a long time.

I am patiently awaiting what these next 4 years will bring.
I think everyone in this nation needs to grow some patience.

Some, who are crying like spoiled children who didn't get their way, more than others.

yes, and the way republicans vetoed ANYTHING Obama suggested and called him names REALLY helped your country didnt it. For 8 years, you guys put your feelings before your country.
My god, can you not see that? well, as outsiders, we can. Republicans behaviour STANK the last 8 years, its a bit late to be calling for humility and maturity.

And no, you dont get to just dismiss 8 years by saying things like let it go, its in the past

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: havok
Either way this country needs to settle down before they cause more damage.
Acting out in violent protests does NOTHING for our country.

He isn't even in office yet.
As for leaning more democrat than republican, well that is old news.
He has admittedly leaned left for a long time.

I am patiently awaiting what these next 4 years will bring.
I think everyone in this nation needs to grow some patience.

Some, who are crying like spoiled children who didn't get their way, more than others.

yes, and the way republicans vetoed ANYTHING Obama suggested and called him names REALLY helped your country didnt it. For 8 years, you guys put your feelings before your country.
My god, can you not see that? well, as outsiders, we can. Republicans behaviour STANK the last 8 years, its a bit late to be calling for humility and maturity.

And no, you dont get to just dismiss 8 years by saying things like let it go, its in the past

A whole ton of them wave the rebel flag, still pissed about the civil war.

Let it go my butt. These are the last people who should be telling others that the past is the past.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Unless Trump wants to ignore the will of Congress, he may have to sign executive privileges. There is still a divide between Trump ideas and Paul Ryan ideas. Ryan needs a POTUS to sign his laws and had to thread his support needle very carefully. So we will see what comes out of Congress and if Trump signs off. Personally, I think Trump will cave to Ryan.

Something as easy as "everybody wants infrastructure done" sounds like an easy compromise, but it isn't. It's HOW one wants to accomplish it that has kept POTUS and Congress at odds over it for eight years. Ryan and Trump do not agree HOW it should be done.

And, there will be the opposition party, the Dems, that might side with Trump but never with Ryan or McConnell.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Do you actually believe this or are you just being hopeful? Because I don't believe this for a second. I see the people that Trump has surrounded himself with and regardless of whatever verbal diarrhea is coming out of his mouth today the people who will have his ear are all right wing establishment types plus Bannon for that Woodrow Wilson style spice of bigotry.

I *am* being hopeful. As I said in the OP, we can't know for sure what we're going to get until we actually get it. I am simply suggesting we put down our arms and wait and see.

I think the appointments of Bannon and Priebus as a two-headed advisory team are symptomatic of the fact that he campaigned on promises to destroy the establishment, but really has a desire to move toward the center. Priebus was the author of the Republican autopsy that indicated a need to broaden the party's appeal by reaching out to immigrants, women, african americans, and others. Bannon represents the alt-right that would seek to destroy all that.

It's impossible to know how that is all going to work out, but I think Bannon will be there to help Donald understand what will be interpreted as an affront to his base, and what he can get away with.

Donald's personal opinions are far more liberal than he let on during the campaign. My personal feeling is that he's going to govern more toward the center, and I think the 60 minute interview is indicative of that.

Of course, there's no way to really know.
edit on 14-11-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers
ON GAY MARRIAGE
Clearly he supports it. He says it's "decided law." There is a bit of a disconnect here because Roe V. Wade is also decided law, but I think the difference is more that one is something he actually plans to factor into his selection of supreme court justices, while the other is not.

Ah, yes, I hadn't thought of that before, this factoring into SCOTUS selection. I wonder, though, where he will find a judge who would signal (not "promise") to overturn RvW without overturning any other "liberal established law". Interesting.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

The GOP and Priebus got their autopsy report and ignored it. They drug out their "token black man" candidate, added a Libertarian gay man who does not think freedom and democracy are compatible, "taco truck" surrogates, and nominated an acknowledged pussy grabber (assaulter). Sounds like Priebus and Bannon agree too much.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert

The GOP and Priebus got their autopsy report and ignored it. They drug out their "token black man" candidate, added a Libertarian gay man who does not think freedom and democracy are compatible, "taco truck" surrogates, and nominated an acknowledged pussy grabber (assaulter). Sounds like Priebus and Bannon agree too much.

That could certainly be the case. The thing is, some of Trump's stump positions would have flown in the face of oven those token gestures.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I see where you're coming from with your OP. I guess I am just more cynical.
If people want govt run like a business, then I certainly will give Trumpa his 100 day grace period like a credit card has. Because we are now a de facto parliamentary system, he should be subject to the voice and vigor of opposition (in Congress as well as outside).

Trump has been a successful marketer of himself and no one else. He has not been forced to work with others in a political organization or inside govt. I do not see any great judgement for international relationships involving others.

Violence is no good in opposition. True change is relentless pressure over sustained time. Relentless pressure over sustained time. The long haul.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

ON GAY MARRIAGE
Clearly he supports it. He says it's "decided law."

He has also said that he's appointing supreme court justices that that are committed to overturning the 2015 decision. Which is exactly what he's doing. So even if Trump is now fine with the decided law, his appointed justices don't automatically fall in line with that sentiment. Thats where the real concern is.

“It has been ruled upon. It has been there. If I’m elected I would be very strong in putting certain judges on the bench that I think maybe could change things" ~Trump

In an interview when he was asked for clarification if he'd appoint supreme court justices to overturn the 2015 decision he responded with “I would strongly consider that, yes.”.

Regardless of what Trump's actual stance is, it's clear what position his possible candidates for SCOTUS hold on this issue. Which apparently is now being downplayed with the recent web entries, but their history on gay marriage shows what they'd be committed to.
edit on 14-11-2016 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

ON GAY MARRIAGE
Clearly he supports it. He says it's "decided law."

He has also said that he's appointing supreme court justices that that are committed to overturning the 2015 decision. Which is exactly what he's doing. So even if Trump is now fine with the decided law, his appointed justices don't automatically fall in line with that sentiment. Thats where the real concern is.

“It has been ruled upon. It has been there. If I’m elected I would be very strong in putting certain judges on the bench that I think maybe could change things" ~Trump

In an interview when he was asked for clarification if he'd appoint supreme court justices to overturn the 2015 decision he responded with “I would strongly consider that, yes.”.

Regardless of what Trump's actual stance is, it's clear what position his possible candidates for SCOTUS hold on this issue. Which apparently is now being downplayed with the recent web entries, but their history on gay marriage shows what they'd be committed to.

Campaign Trump certainly said those things.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert

I see where you're coming from with your OP. I guess I am just more cynical.
If people want govt run like a business, then I certainly will give Trumpa his 100 day grace period like a credit card has. Because we are now a de facto parliamentary system, he should be subject to the voice and vigor of opposition (in Congress as well as outside).

I agree. Personally, I'm planning to hold President Trump accountable for the things President Trump does, rather than for the things Candidate Trump said.

I can certainly understand people who won't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Trump has been a successful marketer of himself and no one else. He has not been forced to work with others in a political organization or inside govt. I do not see any great judgement for international relationships involving others.

No argument from me.

Violence is no good in opposition. True change is relentless pressure over sustained time. Relentless pressure over sustained time. The long haul.

Agreed.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Thats EXACTLY what I said on another thread tonight! He now knows a lot of the stuff he didnt when he said all those "promises" for changes he'll make.

One of the best was about the Mexico "wall". Now he says some of it will be a "fence". Um...Mr. President-elect? We've already GOT a fence there in more than one spot!

And its been there for DECADES now...and has had no effect on the # coming in.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Campaign Trump certainly said those things.

Trump said those things. Those were Trump quotes I used. Did you watch the video? Trump has expressed on more than one occasion that he'd appoint those justices with the aim that it would change so that it's once again a state decision.

Either way, what about my greater point? That what Trump's actual stance is, is not the thing to be most concerned about. If you look at his list of people he might appoint to these positions, you'll see a history of being anti-LGBT among those conservatives. Trump being 'fine' with the 2015 decision (should that be true) doesn't translate to his appointed justices following suit.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
After the 60 min. interview; Trump sounds more like a Democrat now. That's what many predicted and now it looks like he got elected on right wing talking points but really didn't intend to follow thru.

Flip flopping on the "crooked Hillery" deal is going to piss of a lot of conservatives, plus the ACA act won't be repealed just changed so the insurance companies can continue to profit. Business first....

Seeing the trend yet???

I believe it's called "bait and switch". Exactly what his supporters didn't want, but they sure seem to be taking it well.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Agree. It is up to the Dems to find compromise with POTUS Trump, unless Dem values are compromised, where upon they must resist. Moreover, the Dems must give the same consideration to the GOP legislation, as the GOP gave to Dem legislation under an Obama presidency. "Party values" must be upheld.

IMO, let the GOP deal with the Candidate Trump voter. It is not up to the Dems to enable either the GOP or Trump. Under this de facto parliamentary system we are now functioning under, the GOP must be forced to deal with an opposition force, something they have never had to face. It is a new thing for all of us,

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join