It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your expectations of moderators?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This is the only site I still post on, because of the Mods. They are fair, don't pick sides and if they do comment, it's as members talking to members, not Mods.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicCow

I have been a member for a long time as you can see and I have an opinion, to this day I never had a problem with mods beside some difference of opinion here and there, I like it that way and hope stays like that.

This is the only place in the net that I post and participate in social discussions.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Kudos to all the Mods. You've done a great job during all this political madness.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well, since you ask...
I got nailed on the T&Cs a couple of months ago and I thought it was completely uncalled for. I figured that if even the mods were getting hysterical over the election, I'd leave until it was over. I'm back a few days, and while I'm normally pretty active in the political arena, the level of discourse has deteriorated noticeably. I pulled away from of any the post election chatter that I was engaged in, and I'll do my best to stay out.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I learned the hard way to never question moderation, their intent or decisions.

Choose your battles wisely!

they'll put you on the #list quick this is wise advice!!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx

Not true.

I have had posts removed and then restored by speaking to the moderator who removed them. A few times it was a mistake and a few other times I plead my case and they agreed.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not true.

I have had posts removed and then restored by speaking to the moderator who removed them. A few times it was a mistake and a few other times I plead my case and they agreed.

just my opinion, unless it's really bad don't screw around with the mods...

i wont as a member report ANY POST unless its a threat of violence.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
consistency would be nice, one never knows from one week to the next whether something will be actionable as a T&C violation or if it will be ignored.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

just my opinion, unless it's really bad don't screw around with the mods...

While I get the popular opinion is they are cyborgs sent back in time by Cyberdyne they are actually alright, you can even talk to them and they wont blast you with a phased plasma rifle.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Do you feel allowing a slight bend from the OP should
be allowed if the posts are directed at the OP using
the OP's very own answers to other questions?
That breeds discussion.
If posts can all be removed without directly and strictly
adhering to the OP we would all see threads with nothing but
"Removed to prevent thread drift"

To your post however - you think they're not accountable or dismissive of their duties?
" "ok well, hit the alert button, we cannot manage everything, we are unbiased and do not take sides blah blah blah" ."

If a post was deemed offtopic enough to be removed and you truly cared about that conversation, you can always make a new thread or do a U2U.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I learned the hard way to never question moderation, their intent or decisions.

Choose your battles wisely!

Bah. You can question whatever you want. Place and approach. Don't question actions in the body of a thread. Submit a complaint which will be seen by all staff, or PM a specific staff member, who'll post it in the staff forum.

Sincere questions are always addressed. Snarky, rude attacks are frequently disregarded. Prolonged hair splitting about settled matters, or requests requiring info that's NOYB will also likely not generate a response.

Hey, we do what we can.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Just roll with it.
I've been moderated a fair bit and, if I'm honest, can't really complain.

Just try not to be a total pain in their necks and it's all cool.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I have a lot of respect for the MOD's around here. They help create what ATS is.

However there is some bias in their handling of political statements. I recently had a heavily starred post removed from a thread in the mudpit. No reason given. I reached out to the MOD. No response given. I copied and sent the mudpit rules to the MOD. My post fell directly in-line with following the ATS T&C's.

So the only reason that post was removed was bias from an MOD. We're all human so I'm not worked up about it but MOD's should be responding when members ask why their posts are removed. Punishment without explanation achieves nothing.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Just remember as I have noticed, they won't remove troll/racist/ sexist remarks, they just punish the ones who get angry and respond to them.

They would lose half the viewers of the site if they removed persons described above and their inciting posts.

Gotta keep those advert views up.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Moderators choose to either participate in threads as the members they are, or they choose to moderate said thread. When they are participating then they can be as vocal or passionate as anyone else.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If I modded ATS Id have to have a pez dispenser full of valium... a starwars pez dispenser.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think the mods are doing a great job, although i don't know any of them, they seem active in taking down daft comments etc... Surprisingly i've not had any taken away?(that i know of) even with drunk comments lol.

Go mods

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

If you see it that way..fine. Its ok.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
A Team Effort

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
Just remember as I have noticed, they won't remove troll/racist/ sexist remarks, they just punish the ones who get angry and respond to them.

They would lose half the viewers of the site if they removed persons described above and their inciting posts.

Gotta keep those advert views up.

Please bear in mind that everyone on the staff has access to alerts and complaints issued by members. Whenever I see generalized criticism along these lines, I look to see if there may be something specific underlying it.

Granted, I could have overlooked something, but I think this is a case of misunderstanding. We can't be everywhere, so we rely on our members to help us identify problems.

If you do encounter violations of the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, please alert us to them and, if we also see a violation, we'll take appropriate action.

If we don't find a violation, then no action is appropriate, and in cases where there may be doubt, members always get the benefit of that doubt. Strong or controversial opinions that may offend some people but don't violate the terms & conditions are not actionable.

Responding to them in ways that violate the rules, however, is actionable. Alerting or submitting a complaint does not exempt any member from responsibility for the content of their own posts.

If you do alert us but are unsatisfied with the response, you're always welcome to submit a complaint and bring if to the attention of the staff as a whole.

We generally don't discuss specific cases in the public forums, but we can and do make mistakes, and members are always welcome to challenge any action any member of the staff may take directly by private message as well.

Every day, our moderators are called upon to make decisions using their best judgment and the assistance of their peers through a collaborative, consensus-driven process. It's not perfect, but it's the best method we've found so far.

If anyone has better ideas, we're always happy to hear them.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I can honestly say that ATS has some of the fairest MODS that I have seen. And to handle us during this election had and still is rough I'm sure.

I have had post removed. Some I didn't agree with but I have asked questions and have always been given a quick reply (even if I didn't like the answer).

Our MODS are human (no really they are!) and I think they do a great job!!!! If you have a question just shoot them a U2U, they are GREAT to answer your questions!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join