It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your expectations of moderators?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
There has been some tug-of-warring happening lately in
the threads with moderators being called to take sides.
"He said that about my presidency candidate and i'm hurt" or
"He said something that is not an insult but since I don't agree
I want you to remove their posts."

Personally I have had 5 posts removed due to "thread drift"
because a member I was speaking with did not like when I asked
him/her questions based on their responses TO THEIR OWN THREAD.
To my knowledge moderators attempt to stay neutral mostly
with others being very vocal for their candidate.

The reason I bring this thread up is because i'd like to know
what members on this site think these NON-PAID positions are
responsible for and what time range do you expect actions to be taken?

edit on 14-11-2016 by MagicCow because: Typo and truncating

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: MagicCow

Well, if the posts were off topic, are these not legit actions?? Youd rephrase your statements in a manner that would not encourage a back and forth unrelated directly to the OP is my only recommendation.

Admins are just going to say "ok well, hit the alert button, we cannot manage everything, we are unbiased and do not take sides blah blah blah" .

Besides. They already made a thread for this very matter. But they closed it. I am trying to find it in the search.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
On the whole the mods do a great job, but as was said in a previous thread, they do rely on members to bring certain posts to their attention.

It's a bit of a thankless task, well from certain members anyway, but if they feel posts are off topic or particularly insulting etc, they will be removed.

I have never seen a post removed because it contradicted an O.P, and I'm certainly grateful that they have deleted some of my drunk posts on here.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

To my knowledge moderators attempt to stay neutral mostly
with others being very vocal for their candidate.

We absolutely permit our staff to participate in discussions, otherwise I doubt anyone would ever want to become staff in the first place. We do have a rule in place that a member of staff may not moderate any thread that he/she has posted in.

If you feel a post has been removed for reasons other than a T&C violation please use the complain feature which posts your concern in an area visible to ALL staff.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow

The same impartial and very competent job they are doing now.

This is one of the best moderated sites I have visited which is why I like posting here.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
As regards time range- factor in what time it takes for the opinions of several moderators to be collected, as will sometimes be necessary.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Do you feel allowing a slight bend from the OP should
be allowed if the posts are directed at the OP using
the OP's very own answers to other questions?
That breeds discussion.
If posts can all be removed without directly and strictly
adhering to the OP we would all see threads with nothing but
"Removed to prevent thread drift"

To your post however - you think they're not accountable or dismissive of their duties?
" "ok well, hit the alert button, we cannot manage everything, we are unbiased and do not take sides blah blah blah" ."

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: MagicCow

The same impartial and very competent job they are doing now.

This is one of the best moderated sites I have visited which is why I like posting here.

Ditto!

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Ditto!

If you want to see a real s*** show head over to the Yelp forums where people insult each other daily about restaurant reviews or get useless replies to legitimate questions. That is what a poorly moderated site looks like which is why I have made zero posts there even though I have 1,000+ reviews.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

If posts can all be removed without directly and strictly
adhering to the OP we would all see threads with nothing but
"Removed to prevent thread drift"

Every removed post is logged. This log includes the member who posted it, the staff member who removed it, and the full text of the post.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I expect the moderators are doing their best... and I know we don't always make it an easy job to do. And I figure my concerns may not be their concerns. Fair enough. Not my website, not my choice. I can alert, but the rest is up to them. My only line for alerting mods is when posters make violent comments and threats. Basic rudeness and nastiness seems to be par for the course. As does derailing threads.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Have you read the Ts and Cs you agreed to? And the rules on posting, starting threads, uploads, links, whats acceptable here and what's not, what are hoax sites and what can get you banned or posts deleted?

Your answers are all in Board and Freshmen forums...perhaps if you did... You wouldn't need to have made this thread. That's evident. Please do so and you'll get your answers...

Best.... MS

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I made this post to ask YOU GUYS.
Had you read the post you may have understood that.
It is called "Your expectations of moderators?"
So should I have your post deleted to prevent thread drift?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
All I care about is keeping the field level during moderation. The same standard or lack there of for every member.

It seems to me this election has displayed some rather lenient moderation for the sake of letting members speak their mind.
I can't see much to complain on there.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Comments section of blacklisted news is pretty damn awful, in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

to drink the blood of the innocent....

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kibric

hahahaha

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Do not get me wrong moderation is very important as is how a site is moderated. In many ways I feel ATS is well moderated, but the a speed trap could be called well patrolled. Mods should be polite and helpful, but being considerate of others is something they should strive for.

It is not considerate to wipe out posts, nor threads because one word or sentence was questionable. I recently had posts removed for making a pun of a name, a whole post removed over 3 keyboard characters!

I say your site feels like a speed trap, because you have a system, where we the users have little or no idea why posts were actually removed. Quite often the poster whose post was removed does not know why and no one reading the thread can fathom what actually caused the removal. Kind of like hiding the speed limit signs behind trees.

Myself I avoid known speed traps!

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I learned the hard way to never question moderation, their intent or decisions.

Choose your battles wisely!
edit on 14-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Couldn't agree with you more.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join