It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

A Vote for Trump Was A Hate Crime says HuffPo

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Exactly, it's like a bunch of people are saying, " Pay no attention to the policies and your personal priorities because candidate X said this and we have deemed that to be racist or attractive to some who might be racist. Therefore, throw your vote away!"

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: projectvxn

If eradicating racism and sexism aren't the most important and primary issues you want to see addressed when you cast a vote, then you will eventually be called a racist and sexist by someone.

How is a presidential election going to eradicate what is in the hearts and minds of people?

Do you people even listen to yourselves? It's all about thought crime. Why should my priorities not be heard?

"You people?"

Uh, I didn't make this statement because I agree with it. I made it because it's ABSURD:

"If eradicating racism and sexism aren't the most important and primary issues you want to see addressed when you cast a vote, then you will eventually be called a racist and sexist by someone."

On its face it is absurd. Thought that was obvious.

Here is a fuller explanation of how I see Trump supporters (btw, I voted for Johnson). I left this comment on another thread (Link):

I think what resonated with Trump supporters most is his 'drain the swamp' and 'f- the media' messages.

Now, that doesn't he mean he meant it. It remains to be seen. But, I believe that most of his supporters would have still voted for him and then some, if he left out all the divisive rhetoric. That rhetoric was a weakness, not a strength.

It seems to me that if you don't put racism, sexism, etc. above every problem this country needs to tackle, then you will ultimately be called a racist, sexist, etc. People have had it with that after 8 years.

It's not fair to be held hostage, like that. People are allowed to step away from those issues and care about things like government corruption and media collusion, too. They're equally oppressive problems. Hillary sure wasn't talking about those issues. I think most Trump supporters are like, "I don't care if people call me a racist, bigot, xenophobe, sexist, etc...I know I'm not and I am going to vote for Trump because he said he''s going to do all these other things that matter to me."

We weren't offered a contender candidate that was ideal, but Trump supporters do not deserve to be solely defined by Trump's worst qualities.

So, yeah, I support your right to prioritize the issues that you think the government should be tackling.

Settle down and don't assume that I would support absurdity. People are getting really weird around here, lately.

edit on 14-11-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Because I was shelving my worries about the left until after the election because I saw Trump as a worse threat to our country than Hillary. Trust me there were very REAL grievances I was ready to lay down for what happened to Bernie Sanders (actually those grievances are all the more real now that Hillary ended up losing). Because I should note I was a Bernie supporter. I only supported Hillary out of necessity.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Found it -- thank you! I actually found a couple, the one by antediluvian that you referred to, and another one. I'll check them out. I was pretty busy in the weeks running up to the election and missed these. But it seems it's something that will be good to know. Time to catch up!

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
I don't know about a hate crime, but as a woman from another country, its very revealing where the US is going. I think after the swimmer getting only 3 months for rape, and then electing a president who openly admitted to sexually assaulting women, then what's looks like greater influence for women hating right wing Christians, that it will be a scary place in the near future.

I'm an American woman and disgusted with what's going on.

Now we have the American Taliban.

I guess you just don't really know how much you just disrespected all the women who have to live under the rules of regime's like the Taliban.
What you are seeing is the beginning of a swing back to a normal healthy society. It will take a decade or so, but the radical progressive ideology will be walked back.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Fair enough I will take you at your word.

I am not thrilled with a Trump presidency either, but I felt Hillary was a much bigger threat... but I still voted third party.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

We weren't offered a contender candidate that was ideal, but Trump supporters do not deserve to be solely defined by Trump's worst qualities.

That's worth repeating, and noting that it goes both ways -- all ways actually. Neither should Trump be solely defined by his worst supporters. Same for Hillary and Hillary supporters.

From where I'm sitting, there were no good choices for anyone. I truly think Bernie had a much better chance of winning than Hillary ever did; even the most ardent Trump supporter would agree that he is not a saint. But we all had less than desirable choices -- no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, no matter who you supported/voted for. So we had to make the best choice as we saw fit, leaving each and every one of us subject to criticism for who/what we supported.

But Trump is our duly elected president, and there is nothing practical or productive about attacking phantoms. Let him get into office and then we can focus on what he actually does.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Fair enough I will take you at your word.

I am not thrilled with a Trump presidency either, but I felt Hillary was a much bigger threat... but I still voted third party.

What I saw from a Hillary Presidency is a just a lot of overhyped rhetoric from the right and a witch hunt designed to destroy her trustworthiness versus actually accomplishing the task of indicting or prosecuting her (because the evidence didn't and doesn't exist to accomplish that goal). Sure some of it could be true, but then again I see the threat to national security a private email server poses as CONSIDERABLY less than giving the nuclear codes to someone who can't take criticism of any sort without lashing out or suing.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Agree with everything you said.

We are talking about the two least liked candidates in history. People chose the lesser evil based on the best of what both candidates had to say.

I believe that.

I don't think my Hillary friends embody the worst qualities I see in Hillary either.

edit on 14-11-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Shamrock6

Cool story bro.

Like totally dude. Glad you got your keyboard glued back together bro.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Then why do you suppose a black journalist from WashPo felt the need to talk in his article about how he's "long argued that Obama's most ardent supporters should not ascribe racial motives to the president's critics" if nobody was doing that? Just covering his bases or something?

I'm not sure. You would have to ask him.

I've never seen or heard someone call another person racist just because they disagreed with Obama on a policy, etc.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I find it more than a little casually dismissive to just "call bull #" and say it's made up.

I really can't conceive of a reason for Capeheart to state that he himself has said criticizing Obama shouldn't be automatically labelled as racist unless he's seen it happen.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Clinton's "credibility" went out the window when the government reports and classified material in emails were exposed, especially the stuff in the emails she refused to turn over and deleted.

All that made a liar out of her, and she still has not addressed those lies.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

That is true.

I find it more than a little casually dismissive to just "call bull #" and say it's made up.

I still stand by that statement. One thing I have learned over the years is that people like to make things up to add weight to their arguments, or in order to present themselves a some sort of victim. The member I was responding to has a history of both.

I really can't conceive of a reason for Capeheart to state that he himself has said criticizing Obama shouldn't be automatically labelled as racist unless he's seen it happen.

I don't know why he responded to that blog comment. It was ridiculous and hyperbolic in and of itself.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth
When in your opinion did this normal healthy society exist?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth
But if nothing else you've proved why women should be scared, that you talk about their rights being walked back.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I don't think my Hillary friends embody the worst qualities I see in Hillary either.

Exactly. Maybe -- in a learning-from-a-bad-example kind of way -- this foolishness will serve to show people on both sides how easy it is to unfairly tar everyone with a broad brush when they are put in a no-win situation, and hopefully reconsider their measures of judgment and scorn.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Whatever you say. I'm not about to rehash a year and a half of idiotic election rhetoric. That poster asked about my opinions. I gave it. I don't care about yours though.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

You misread the article then. Yes, he responded to the blog comment. The comment I'm referring to him making was made before the comment in his blog.

I’ve long argued that Obama’s most ardent supporters should not ascribe racial motives to the president’s critics when none exist. Doing so undermines their argument and the ability to call out real racism — explicit and implicit — when it happens.

He's restating a point that he had made before the comment was ever posted.

But we can absolutely agree that people, on both sides, like to make # up to further their point. No disagreement from me on that point.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

This post is as ridiculous and unhinged as the HuffPo article that is the subject of this thread.

Here's who the real Taliban are:

Mass murder, gang rapes and house-to-house searches by Taliban death squads are just some of the harrowing civilian testimonies emerging from Kunduz as Afghan forces today claimed to have regained control of key areas of the northern city, Amnesty International said.

The organization has spoken to numerous people, the majority of them women, who have fled Kunduz since Monday, when the Taliban launched a sudden assault on the city. Women human rights defenders from Kunduz spoke of a “hit list” being used by the Taliban to track down activists and others, and described how fighters had raped and killed numerous civilians.

Link

Or this list of Taliban atrocities...

I'm sure I could direct you to more examples.

So get a freaking grip. Equating your imagined oppression to these real victims, cheapens their experience and exposes your thinking, and others who do the same, for the privileged, out-of-touch, arrogant, first-world complainers that you are.

I have little sympathy for what is tantamount to a comparison of a hangnail to the torture and death or real people.

And you think you're creating a better world???
edit on 14-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

This post is as ridiculous and unhinged as the HuffPo article that is the subject of this thread.

Here's who the real Taliban are:

Forcing people to live by a religious ideology not of their choosing.

Taliban & ISIS

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join