It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Most Important Philosophical Question

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
One question is all it takes. Look at this, 7 pages of stuff, a large amount of which is more questions, all because someone asked a question. Just stop it now. We can't answer them, our very existence is an attempt by the 'all' to 'physically' calculate an answer whatever stupid question first occurred to whatever the hell 'it' is. And we keep adding to it, because in the process of finding answers we inevitably come up with more questions.

We need to go through a process of simplification, rather like you would do when making a mathematical equation more elegant. What is the simplest way of answering the questions we already have?! I'd argue that even one-word answers are not enough, we have to start answering multiple questions with one word.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: Godabove09
a reply to: Wang Tang

The most important question for me, as simplistic as it may be, is this;

Q. Everything from nothing by accident OR an unknowable and infinite CREATOR of incalculable majesty?

Great question except there is no evidence that nothingness ever existed. All the evidence is to the contrary. As equally hard as it is to imagine somethingness always existed it is equallly hard to imagine that nothingness ever did. Since something does exist the only rational conclusion is everything that exists always existed. Either way of thinking about it is equally hard to accept.

Nothing begets nothing.

Hello?

Nothing from nothing, leaves nothing.
Any thought, of any thing, is illusion.
So much ado, about nothing.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Nothing means no thing

It’s a misconception that no thing or nothing means a devoid condition

No thing or nothing only means no entity or no thing like no car or no bus or no person… its just a statement that there is no entity construction at that point. So no thing or nothing does have stuff in it to erect something

So no thing or nothing has material but its just that its not a thing yet.... THING=ENTITY OR CONSTRUCTION OF UNIFIED BEING OR FORM

Therefore some thing or something can come from no thing or nothing by way of creation or erection from the state of no thing or nothing

God or something can create from no thing or nothing because nothing or no thing has materiality to it other than a thing therefore you can construct some thing ( entity or Holon: person...dog...mouse...car, rat, dog etc.) or something from no thing or nothing

Nothing or no thing contains potential materiality to create anything

edit on 16-11-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

Your absolutely right Buddhists don't have that monopoly on that or anything else for that matter. I could have as I said brought up any sort of school of thought to illustrate my point

There’s agreement here.

I was just trying to make the point of the simplicity of our problem and that humans aver complexity where it may not apply…

Alas though complexity will arrive at one point, then we’ll really have problems

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
What is death?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

An affection for LIMITATION or possibility?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Can anything be truly Infinite without incorporating everything that is finite?
edit on 17-11-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
The most important question to someone, is the question which is in their head at any given time, because they are thinking of it in that given time. So is the answer all questions?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wang Tang
As a philosopher I often find myself questioning the importance of other fields. I have met several psychology majors who were completely oblivious to the inner workings of their own minds, let alone other peoples’. I’ve met ineffective Math teachers who could not communicate with normal people. I’ve met engineers who made good money but were thoroughly unhappy with their jobs. As a philosopher it’s natural to question the importance of other fields because we do not want to waste our time with pointless work. But ironically it is very rare that I see philosophers questioning the purpose of philosophy. Before delving any further into philosophy, I thought it necessary to find the best starting point in philosophy.

The most important philosophical question… is it the same question for all of mankind, or is the most important philosophical question different for each person? Is philosophy important for the sake of mankind, or for my own sake? Should I use philosophy to examine how I live my life, or is it more important to examine the true nature of reality? Suicide, morality, God, the greatest good, these are all things that famous philosophers have claimed are the most important philosophical question. There are many possibilities, but I am not sure where to go from here. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Or perhaps the most important philosophical question is in fact: “what is the most important philosophical question?”

Is Morality the Motivating Force behind Man's Quest for Knowledge that Benefits and Enriches his Personal Life through Acts that give a Deep Sense of Purpose for All Mankind ? Yes .

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhotonEffect

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
What is critical to free will is not the ability to choose between two choices but rather not being caused to do something by causes other than oneself.

This is what it comes down to.
How do we know there isn't a cause to our choice? If there was a cause would we know it? Lets suppose we would know it - what would that be like? A voice in our head maybe?

Do ants operate by freewill?

Ants are simply on task doing what ants do, they dont have reason to think about being anything other than an ant so an ant does what and ant does and can't cease to be anything other than an ant doing what an ant does.

How are we any different? Consciousness, thoughts, reason or not... humans doing what humans do. That's why the word being usually follows human.

So the question?

Can we do what we as humans do better? The answer is obviously yes.

edit on 17-11-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: fix quote and add

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Is anything real?
What is real?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

What is the Most Important Philosophical Question?

For me, the most important question is.....

Who ate all the pies?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Wang Tang

probably what does it mean to be conscious or have access to consciousness
the origins of consciousness

as without it we wouldnt be able to ask these questions in the first place

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Whether or not you should commit suicide.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
Ants are simply on task doing what ants do, they dont have reason to think about being anything other than an ant so an ant does what and ant does and can't cease to be anything other than an ant doing what an ant does.

How are we any different? Consciousness, thoughts, reason or not... humans doing what humans do. That's why the word being usually follows human.

So freewill is only a human condition, well that's conveniently nice.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: PhotonEffect

Freewill only goes as far the law that desires to control another allows, human and natural. But do as thou will but personal responsibility says if you break law instead o work to change it you're going to be bent over for that breaking of it instead of using the system or a voice to change it from oppression and control from lofty ideals that wouldnt the world be so much better without these people? Makes those people think the same damned thing... vicious circle drawing such lines and labels to give an enemy a face not the one you want to identify with.

So the excuse is to protect the "innocent" at least long enough where they can make their own choices... of course those not so innocent like to manipulate and change the system so it suits them... happens all over the world.

No one is immune, from parental controllers... to governments trying to be parents. Why because hey the systems say you gotta do this be that way or this way anything but yourself... so here's the labels, here's the beliefs, here's the traditions, here's the laws... how much to you want to eat? Already on the plate when asked the question... So empty that plate by getting up and walking off... no one asked for it just latched on like a baby on a nipple, and the nipple changes and the food becomes all sorts of things...

That freewill is you can CHOOSE what to focus on and eat... I can sit here all day I can choose too pay my bills and then cut all service and just sit. Of course someone is gonna come along why dont you want this? Freewill doesnt need to answer. Then more get concerned and they discuss... then try to make a decision to exercise their will over yours. In some concept or ideas of ideals and concepts, and use excuses for it... well you can't sit there. Obviously I am sitting so fallacy... then some other excuse as to why not... and on and on.

What has occured? One having self control and excerising freewill disturbs those that do not have self control or understands freewill. But how is that your problem? When they try to make it yours or fill the plate you aren't asking for... then by force choose to kill you or drag you off and all you wre doing was sitting there. They couldn't go focus on something else... had to make you the focus and making excuses for something so that they have clarity is not your job, same as them asking or making excuses to get their way is not their job so what happens they come to want control just as much as you're not interested in their control.

Both will be excericing freewill but one wants to control themself and the other wants to control the other... so who is right in the situation? The law... what law is just sitting anywhere on this entire planet breaking? No one asked to be born or subjected to any of this they just found themselves here... but past control? Yet another excuse.

What about if the same person just wanted to walk around see this amazing world? Walk walk walk, and all of a sudden people are hey you cant walk here... and youre like why? This is a new place youre not from here... um where earth? No we divided that up... strange because the ground here looks just like that dirt so where is the division but in the mind? es an empty concept some stupid ideal that we've gotten the hose for so much we just accept it and keep perpetuating it.

Madness? Oh you bet it is...

Put freewill to the test and you'll find out how far it goes. Excuse after excuse why you can't just sit, why you just can't walk. When obviusly already doing both at the time when told it was impossible.

Ants walk all over birds fly all over and yet we are the smart ones? We are the ones with freewill YEP systems of control of those not oneself say NOPE.

We have imprisioned ourselves and destroy ourselves by these things, out of greed, we put faces on those not ourselves to make an enemy so others hate using excuses as the flames of ignorance.

The voice of reason in that crowd would say well why can't they sit or walk there? It's stupid control they arent harming anyone... except the IDEA that one can control another by some IDEA of authority a thing no one ever asked for.

Why?

Why Indeed...

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: dfnj2015

An affection for LIMITATION or possibility?

I haven't chosen yet.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Unless you have omnipotent powers to be able to control what you can choose does anyone really truly have free-will?

Getting back to the "most important philosophical question": Is love real?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I was with you when you said nothing means no thing, but saying no thing at all is in existence would include all of the material reality including spacial dimensions.

So no thing or nothing has material but its just that its not a thing yet.... THING=ENTITY OR CONSTRUCTION OF UNIFIED BEING OR FORM

Oh my. Nothing went from no thing to some things. Its really not that hard. Nothing doesn't have properties. Nothing does't preform any actions and nothing doesn't yield something. Material objects of any kind can be classified as things. If I have a human heart I don't have no thing just because I don't have a full unified human. I still have a heart.....

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

No I don't think ants operate the same as humans. Ants do not lack critical thinking skills because they have no reason to think. Ants lack critical thinking skills because the do not have a level of awareness that allows them to do the things that humans can do. This higher level of awareness allows humans to make choices that go against natural responses of their body. Saying humans do what humans do and ants do what ants do is tautological. Of course they do, but that doesn't really get us anywhere on the topic of free will. Whether ants operate by free will or not is irrelevant to what humans are capable of.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join