It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Most Important Philosophical Question

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: UniFinity

Sitting in your pee speaking weeeeee! Well what does playing with oneself accomplish? Happiness to the extremes of self or other or when you laugh the whole world laughs with you?

Mirror mirror on the wall if the face in it falls does it kill them all?

All are our teachers in ignorance, none our equal in reality because there is nothing in all that is separate once the void realized falls on all things.

When you swing an "arm" what tree screams the loudest in such a typhoon? Yours being torn off to enter the monastery or the axe of the mind swinging an attachment blindly?

edit on 23-11-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Wang Tang

Happiness and sadness one extreme to the other in motion it all becomes TV static and the status quo without any heart wins again... becoming this channel becoming that channel sucked into realities from one end and right back around the dial goes all the way around.

Tighen that orbit as in fix the eye on the nature of duality itself why one eye? Because both flip in the mirror reflecting another... in such an inverted view of the world eye to eye only two cyclops can become so intimate a being to divide into four.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: fatkid

Yes diging a hole only fills the space around the grave in which you want to bury something... be it corpse or planting a tree...

Displacement realitive to mass ho tight or loose can play a melody or snap depending on how one strums their tune in accordance with known? Cut the strings and play the best music ever, in accordance with none? judge not an ear by way of mouth.

I am...

It is a label of death and life I am now becoming this and I am now becoming that which I has left and which I stays pluck one and I'll tell you another.

Consider the ants when they form a chain from your mouth out of the top of your head... will awareness swat them? How many bodies will you watch pile up and disolve?

edit on 23-11-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wang Tang

originally posted by: Willtell

Philosophy as a scholastic pursuit or enterprise is one thing and philosophy as a way of life is entirely different.

I ascribe to the latter reality. The former is a construct of facts and history the latter is a construct of beliefs and experience.

Therefore, the important question seems to be: what the constructs of ones philosophical beliefs are.

I like the way you just laid this out. I would like to think my question as my attempt to break away from philosophy as a scholastic pursuit and commit to philosophy as a way of life.

I disagree with your conclusion though

What conclusion is that?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

hm...interesting replay.
Maybe the first question would than be, what is true happiness?
With self inquiry we should contemplate what true happiness is for us personally.

You have a point, as i think that happiness is a basic attribute, very tied with fulfilling our simple desires for most. When we fulfil a desire we feel happy, for a short moment. This is quite simple happiness occurring every day. But this kind of happiness is related to our desires and in my opinion is not true happiness, which i was pointing.

Because if we just follow a string of desires, where and when does that stop?
In my contemplation our basic mind will always try to come up with something to entertain us...leading us around like monkey. And even in some spiritual traditions this aspect of our mind is labeled the monkey mind.

which brings us back to self inquiry about true nature of happiness and to what is it related within and how can we try to improve the quality.

Many find it in hobbies like music, sports and art or family or other relations i guess...but even that is related than to other variables which may not always be there...so is this true happiness?
yes, for the most part it as well may be - at least for a moment, as long as we have what we need in order to make us feel that way.
But in essence this is just another type of desire. Although maybe a more substantial, with more quality to it, than just eat, drink or drugs and party or watching tv or being on ats

basically where i am pointing is that happiness is related to desires for most of us. But that is not in my opinion true happiness. True happiness should be unconditional and is always there and a state of mind, just like you already implied.

Well, this is obviously very subjective view from my self inquiry. And in my opinion happiness is always available as it is our true essence or part of basic nature, but only when we learn to enjoy silence or train our mind so there is no or as little desires as possible so there are no obstructing thoughts in a way of happiness. Which is a state of mind and should not be related to any action. In essence, this means we should learn to give up. The will and resolve to give up what is obstructing our natural basic happiness always free and available will bring us ironically to what we chase when fulfilling desires or our monkey mind aspect.

As such state of mind is also similar when we are fulfilling any desires. Than we are in the now for a split moment. Doing whatever. When we forget time and forget worries, we are happy. Just being and enjoying.

the question is than, can we learn to stay in that one moment grounded unconditionally?
But this is than related to this other question about who we are and what is a human being or what is real nature of our mind?

hm...this idea just popped right out now...maybe the most important question is not a question at all per se...but learning about knowing our true self with self inquiry.

edit on 14799657231135November3511353016 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

If you want to pursue philosophy as a way of life I think a good place to start is to learn the seven natural laws

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Wouldn't the first question be do I know what happiness is?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

everything is in the mind. So that means maybe your point being that when void is realized than we know there is no self or other and no reason to continue being stucked in attachment to anything...even happiness. Because there is no such thing as we start with some concept of it and end with void at the end.

hm...do you want to imply that desire or a quest to be happy is in itself an attachment which is like dog chasing its own tail?

i am lost in translation on this one...or not?
tell me if i solved your puzzle, please

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: fatkid
a reply to: luthier

I can make a bench out of a tree am I a God to the bench?

Also, please link something scientific that says "apes" which I would assume you mean chimpanzees have the vocal cords to produce words as we know them.

Apes already communicate vocally.

So what you meant to say is, you can *modify* a ape to speak via genetic engineering.

Humans are a long way away from *creating* complex life capable of abstract thought.

We will probably create true AI before we will be able to create organic life grown from two created cells into something like a human.

Once this happens, you would have to ask the created creature if it thinks you are God or not.

A dead tree as a bench is not life.

Vocal chords have no eclusivity to language.

And no all apes have the brain structure for language but lack the knowledge culturally to have a cohesive pagagodgy.

Same way 149,000 years ago we had the hardware to make the Ford focus.

We just lacked the knowledge to produce it.
edit on 23-11-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Apes do not have to vocal cords to make speech....

Unless you are talking about sign launguage......

lan·guage
ˈlaNGɡwij/
noun
the method of human communication, either spoken or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional way.
"a study of the way children learn language"

edit on 23-11-2016 by fatkid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Mentalism is the first natural law

The all is mind, the universe is mental

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

What is the Most Important Philosophical Question

Dark meat or white?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

hm...it is a feeling therefore how can i describe it...you just do it or be it?
it is discovered by following your heart.
So it is maybe impossible to know in words till felt, but easy to discover with experiences and then you can know?

also...thanks for mentioning 7 laws...
here is a link with info, for others and also me...because sometimes i read and learn from past posts on ats...so this is like a note for the ones interested

gittefalkenberg.wordpress.com...

----
or please can you provide more info about it, if you have anything else in mind?
thanks!

edit on 14799671271158November5811583016 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Go with these

Mentalism, Correspondence, Vibration, Polarity, Rhythm, Cause and Effect, Gender.

Just look up "seven hermetic laws"

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Yes children learn language based on evolutionary psychology.

However,
Language is communication. If you can teach and learn facts is the cultural significance.

Did humans have the biological capacity to create rockets 150,000 years ago?

Could our brains and vocal chords produce rockets?

You miss the main premis.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

You miss the main premise, just because you modify something doesn't mean you created it

If I add a new video card to my computer i didn't invent the computer, I just upgraded one

All things start in the mind, it wasn't brain capacity, our brains have shrunk over the past 10,000 years. If you don't have the vision you can't create, abstract thought is what separates us from animals
edit on 24-11-2016 by fatkid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

oh i see..even better, just the way i like it as i am very spiritually inclined and like to read and contemplate such texts!

see, you made me happy. hah!
have a nice day with a lot of smiles

info about hermetic laws:
www.sacred-texts.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The most philosophical question:

What Are We?

What is this? What's the point and purpose of this existence? Existence itself can become a problem for a person reflecting upon their experience.

For me, this question should be resolved through science i.e. through empiricism. Empiricism = observation + hypothesis testing. Philosophy is useless play without a practical, testing level.

For me, you can't think about the Human being outside of the conditions and contexts which formed him. We are irreducibly social - ecological - and it can be this, this sense of being "strewn" of molecules self-organizing my being from one moment to the other, and me, being this flow, yet having a layer of awareness above it, 'seeing it', 'observing' "it" , that can most unsettling.

The nihilistic feeling grow out of ignorance of the conditions that create us: love. Its a simple intuitive truth, but one easily knocked down by a mind self-organized to dissociate from the fundaments of self-organization. A creature with a brain is fundamentally a "relational device" - a mind touching and feeling its way into the world, while at the same time sensing into itself. How do you think ancient man even evolved a brain, given how anxious, depressive and nihilsitic we humans are. Do you think evolution would have favored a depressive constitution? Or do you think it would have favored what modern humans in fact do: seek the other to enliven it. It's when we immerse ourselves in the flow of being that we experience coherency - happiness, joy, pleasure; not when were reflecting.

Yet, reflecting is necessary otherwise, how do you learn? Reflection is constraint - an organization of knowledge in a particular configuration to "act upon" the negative dynamic that makes you feel so bad. Reflection - such as recognizing when I do something wrong and seeking to repair the relationship with the person I offended, changes the flow. Consciousness reflects upon matter - the dynamics which control it - and 'guides' its constitution in a way that affirms those processes most desired: enlivening interactions with the other.

Thus, so far, is my explanation for why and how we exist. Life is beautiful, torturous, joyous and yet always and essentially mysterious.
edit on 24-11-2016 by Astrocyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

My what big brains you has...

Sight travels out of the eye as fast as light comes into it... so there is mind in and of itself that far away that fast in conscious focus... not in body yet touching something... ear speed of sound yell at a canyon and your karma yells back yet keeps going on and on and on to eventually play back at you as your words begin to echo in others mouths from empty heads... thinking it a "mind" or mine mine mine grasping at some self or concept of being. Etc etc tongue know the flavor of someones food? No but their mouth doesn't mind giving someone an earful... so does the ear taste it or some disembodied mind tongue?

But all of those "consciousness" spheres are "me" or "mine"

Yes we are all drunk off of smelling our own drunk dellusional brain farts... swinging drunkly like anything matters the sober that see all of this directly and not grasping at straws like children? Cause being small again kinda sucks... keep passing the idiot programming around.

So hey what make believe is your tongue loving now?

"My favorite flavor is sticky"~Shin Chan

edit on 24-11-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Well by your own definition nobody creates anything because they mutate.

Human being were not created either we evolved.

We can however create memories synthetically and insert them into the brain which allows the natural psychological evolution to be altered.

If you don't have the mental capacity for thought there is no mind. Beetles can not create rockets.

We could however immoral it would be, design an ape and push it's knowledge a million years faster and alter it's natural evolutionary path.

Theoretically we could make apes who can build houses by giving them brain implants and synthetic memories that would allow them to perform like humans.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join