It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

New York Times: Trump’s Election Leaves Merkel as the Liberal West’s Last Defender

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: goou111

Unless you support Trump.

Don't worry; if you supported Trump you will soon be above the law.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
What about France, Canada, Sweden, Greece, Italy and the rest of western europe... Doesn't count? Sweden lol...

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

Was it Putin?

He certainly helped.

Brexit was something that was worked on for decades, and the people had the final word.

The EU has barely been around for decades. The people had the final word, and it was 50-50.

And the immigration crisis is the fault of mainly the US and it's allies.

Nothing to do with Russia bombing the ### out of Syria?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Nothing to do with Russia bombing the ### out of terrorists in Syria?

Russia has only been there for one year, the refugee crisis was exploding even before that. But NATO backed freedom fighters were in Syria since 2011, so I would say Russia has significantly less burden on their shoulders. Especially considering they were not involvedd with Libya, Yemen, Iraq, or even Afghanistan where many of these refugees are streaming in from.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

DJW001,

No... Russia are just doing what they have to, in order to clean up the mess we allowed our politicians to make in our name, much to our dishonour.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Your obvious bias and lack of knowledge about these subjects never cease to amaze me.

link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Russia has only been there for one year, the refugee crisis was exploding even before that.

I didn't say it was all Russia's fault, did I? But it certainly serves their ends.

link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

Your obvious bias and lack of knowledge about these subjects never cease to amaze me.

I assure you the feeling is mutual.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

You just made a claim that Russia is responsible for the immigration crisis.

Do you know how ridiculous, and untrue your claim is?

What the US and it's allies did to Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya ad Syria is what created this whole mess. And that's a fact. For the sake of discussion, it would be nice if you would for once just recognize facts and stop blaming everything on Putin and Russia
edit on 119k2016Mondayam014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

You just made a claim that Russia is responsible for the immigration crisis.

No, I said Russia has contributed to the immigrant crisis and is benefiting from it. How many Muslim immigrants has Russia offered to accept?

Do you know how ridiculous, and untrue your claim is?

You have created a strawman.

What the US and it's allies did to Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya ad Syria is what created this whole mess. And that's a fact. For the sake of discussion, it would be nice if you would for once just recognize facts and stop blaming everything on Putin and Russia

I agree: the disruption in the Muslim world is largely due to stupid American policies. I have never claimed otherwise. I am simply pointing out that whereas the United States is willing to increase the number of refugees to take some of the pressure off, Russia is not. For once, could you stop reflexively defending Russia and trying to pin all the world's problems on the US?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: DerBeobachter

So opposition to the left's failed vision for Europe equates to Nazis???

Wow. Just wow.

If people like Le Pen are mentioned as being in any way positive, then yes. You really work with wild brush strokes with words such as 'the left' - please try and articulate what 'the left' believe in according to you and then hold that up for review. Do you mean equality for all? Or are you talking more - and more to the point solely - about immigration of people from regions where their safety could not be guaranteed were they to stay.

As with the phrase 'liberal' you can throw around such words all you like and denounce them, but if you cannot define what YOU mean by them then it's a pointless exercise.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

If people like Le Pen are mentioned as being in any way positive, then yes.

First, the Fascists equate resistance to "liberalism" as being a return to traditional values. Then, as their leaders come to power it becomes more and more acceptable to admit that there is a wider range of "liberal" institutions and "liberal" groups and individuals that need to be eliminated.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

But, we have both agreed on the fact that it is the US who's if not 100% then 99% responsible for the immigration crisis?

And, why would Russia accept any of these people? I would not. In fact, if the government of my country changed their policy and decided they would take in these potential terrorists, I'd go in the street and oppose such idiotic move. We've done nothing to destroy the homes of these people, hence, we're not responsible for them. If it were up to me, I'd send them all to the US, Germany, France, UK, Italy and any other nation that participated in the illegal attack on these people's homes.

You guys created this mess, it's up to you to take care of the people who's lives for destroyed because of it
edit on 149k2016Mondayam014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

But, we have both agreed on the fact that it is the US who's if not 100% then 99% responsible for the immigration crisis?

The roots go much further back, to the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, which Russia had no part in. It was the Soviet Union, however, that backed certain regimes in North Africa and West Asia that wound up creating the economic conditions that led to poverty and political repression. In fairness, the United States also backed repressive states like Saudi Arabia and Iran.

So long as the situation remained stable, immigration took place at a rate that could be absorbed by the host nations. It was the United States'ill advised invasion of Iraq that tipped the dominoes and led to the crisis. I do not deny that. Hopefully, you can admit that it was Assad, with Russian backing, that has exacerbated the crisis.

And, why would Russia accept any of these people?

Compassion and human decency.
edit on 14-11-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Russian Federation Law on Refugees

According to an April 2007 report, individuals from Afghanistan constitute the largest number of asylum seekers in Russia. According to Vladimir Rucheikov, head of asylum issues in the Citizenship Department of the Federal Migration Service of Russia, Afghanis make up over 70% of all submitted applications.

Thats what I have found so far. I need to just find numbers now on how many applicants are originating from Syria, and how many were approve/denied to effectively answer the question on how Russia handles refugees. You will also need that same information to substantiate some of your claims as well.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

So long as the situation remained stable, immigration too place at a rate that could be absorbed by the host nations. It was the United States'ill advised invasion of Iraq that tipped the dominoes and led to the crisis. I do not deny that. Hopefully, you can admit that it was Assad, with Russian backing, that has exacerbated the crisis.

I can't agree with that. My opinion is that, if it weren't for the west, Assad would deal with those terrorists in a matter of weeks, since they would not have the support of the US and it's allied, both directly and indirectly. So, I doubt we would have immigrants coming from Syria, since there would be no civil war and no reason for them to flee the country. Perhaps, the Islamic state wouldn't have made such progress, which has made a big part in creating the immigration crisis.

Compassion and human decency.

Out of these things, I would send them to countries who are responsible for the destruction of their lives. From where I stand, you guys are responsible for taking care of those people.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: uncommitted

If people like Le Pen are mentioned as being in any way positive, then yes.

First, the Fascists equate resistance to "liberalism" as being a return to traditional values. Then, as their leaders come to power it becomes more and more acceptable to admit that there is a wider range of "liberal" institutions and "liberal" groups and individuals that need to be eliminated.

I think you and I both know this.

It's a shame to all of us that in some way words such as 'liberal', 'left' and 'progressive' seem to be in some way opposed to a return to a mythical golden age where the average family was white, protestant, the guy had a regular job which would never be at risk and the lady stayed at home, had kids and didn't voice an opinion that differed from her husbands. The fact is that by projecting a wish to return to such a land, other peoples lives are trampled on. But to some, that seems not to matter.

Scary times.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The New York Times is irrelevant. Good bye.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join