It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

New York Times: Trump’s Election Leaves Merkel as the Liberal West’s Last Defender

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   

And then there was one.

Germany’s chancellor, Angela Merkel, has emerged as the last powerful defender of Europe and the trans-Atlantic alliance after the election of Donald J. Trump. But after 11 years in power, she is tired, her associates say, and under siege seemingly from all directions.

She is under pressure from the same forces that elevated Mr. Trump in America, fueled Britain’s vote to exit the European Union and are now propelling the populist Marine Le Pen in France. At home, the hard-right Alternative for Germany party has scored a string of victories in state elections.
SOURCE

I thought a one world government was a certainty. I thought worldwide liberal control couldn't be stopped.

Then we got Brexit. Then we got Donald Trump. Now things are looking different.

A one world government led by liberals may still happen someday. It no longer looks like it's going to happen in my lifetime. I suppose that's the best I could hope for.
edit on 14-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Of course Merkel and her defenders in the media are never described as the hard left ideologues they are.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
shes got to go!

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
OMG. Christian conservatives are the new hard left? And liberal?
Mandela strikes again, this is definitely the wrong planet...
Or you're all incredible stupid? Nah must be ME.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Progressive's believe the government is the master; not the people... Maybe they are learning inspite of their efforts to proclaim otherwise they are wrong !

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I thought a one world government was a certainty. I thought worldwide liberal control couldn't be stopped.

Yes; instead of a world without borders where everyone can come and go as they please, where human rights are universal, where everyone is considered equal before the law, we are seeing the rise of hyper-nationalism. Soon all the old border disputes will be re-opened as AfD and the Front National come to power. Alsace-Lorraine will become a bone of contention. People who are considered foreigners will be identified and dealt with. Excuse me, I've seen this movie before and I don't like the way it ends.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

I wrote the following in another thread, but it fits well enough as an answer to what you just wrote.

Is anyone calling the Arab states of the Persian Gulf (Kuwait, Bahrain, Iraq, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE)) racist for turning down Syrian refugees?

Arab monarchies turn down Syrian refugees over security threat

Consider the rationale those countries have for not taking in more refugees.

Despite the fact that the Gulf states could take it refugees, they will not, Corabatir said. "In reality, if you look at political structure and demographics of the countries, they will never take in a million refugees," he said, noting that Syrians were perceived as a "destabilizing element."
SOURCE

Their rationale for not taking in more refugees is the same as Trump's rationale: it's a security threat. There's no racism involved. The stance has nothing to do with a particular religion.

A lot of the Muslim world sees the issue exactly the same way Trump does because it's the rational way to see the situation.
edit on 14-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Is anyone calling the Arab states of the Persian Gulf (Kuwait, Bahrain, Iraq, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE)) racist for turning down Syrian refugees?

The Arab nations are directly responsible for the Palestinian tragedy. Rather than embrace their fellow Muslims with open arms as they sought refuge, they herded them into camps. This what bred terror: a failure of compassion based on tribalism. The tribalism we see poisoning the Muslim world now, from Libya to Iran, is a form of racism.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Auf Wiedersehen.

What she has done to Germany and the rest of Southern Europe goes beyond the pale.

Last 'powerful defender' indeed... Try last abuser.
edit on 14-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

You know NOTHING of real left leaning ideals, if you think that Merkel is hard left.

If she was hard left, then Saxony would have been purged of its White Supremacists years ago, rather than being a hot bed of fascist activity. If she was hard left, then she would have banned all banking institutions in the nation from doing business in nations which contributed to the War On Terror, or any global conflict of deeply questionable origin. If she was hard left, she would have more people employed in agriculture and manufacturing, than employed in the service industry, and if she was hard left, shop floor workers and management would be paid the precise same, in recognition of the fact that shuffling paper is NOT what makes the world go round, gumption and hard PHYSICAL work are.

The fact that you either have not the education necessary to understand that fundamentally, or have not the intellectual honesty to keep as such in mind when making your ill advised commentary is evidence of a wider problem with the understanding of paradigms like the left and right of political opinion, held by the majority of people. You have precisely and roundly exemplified total, and complete ignorance of these matters in their entirety in a single sentence, and while that is impressive, you should NOT be proud of it.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Auf Wiedersehen.

Apres moi le déluge? Mission accomplished.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Their rationale for not taking in more refugees is the same as Trump's rationale: it's a security threat. There's no racism involved. The stance has nothing to do with a particular religion. A lot of the Muslim world sees the issue exactly the same way Trump does because it's the rational way to see the situation.

spot on , exactly what i have been saying to those who criticized Trump in this regard , he has all the right to do so, and no country should allow immigrants by huge numbers without crosschecking them specially from that region , yes we do feel sorry for them but security comes first , we wont allow a million to come and cause threat to our country.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

In the real world, open borders increases crimes and terrorism. Its been happening to Europe for some time now. It has started to happen with the USA since Obama started to promote the same philosophy.

You open your borders, and your enemies enter without being checked. Lock them down, and destroy everyone and everything trying to cross illegally.

Everyone considered equal before the law?? Hmm, right, I see how the competition in the election really believed that one... NOT!

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

Immigration does not breed terror, lack of compassion does.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Yes; instead of a world without borders where everyone can come and go as they please, where human rights are universal, where everyone is considered equal before the law, we are seeing the rise of hyper-nationalism. Soon all the old border disputes will be re-opened as AfD and the Front National come to power. Alsace-Lorraine will become a bone of contention. People who are considered foreigners will be identified and dealt with. Excuse me, I've seen this movie before and I don't like the way it ends.

I want that too, I just find it unacceptable that oligarchs control the way it happens. The way that immigration has been FORCED upon existing taxpayers in various countries without proper community consultation is unacceptable.

Watch this video. I didn't create this sh!t - the UK, US and their global bitches did & have - for the last 200+ years.

BREXIT has spoken, the US has spoken - the global elite establishment are the enemy of humanity, the terrorists, their current immigration ethos is flawed, very flawed.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

You open your borders, and your enemies enter without being checked.

You need to ask yourself: what am I doing that I have enemies?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

BREXIT has spoken, the US has spoken - the global elite establishment are the enemy of humanity, the terrorists, their current immigration ethos is flawed, very flawed.

Who do you think engineered Brexit and the immigration crisis?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Existing? Tell me do you think that the KKK hates black people for some good reason? Do you have some kind of a justification for why the Nazis hate Jews?

You need to ask yourself why you're trying to rationalize hatred and violence from Muslims around the world.
edit on 14-11-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Existing? Tell me do you think that the KKK hates black people for some good reason? Do you have some kind of a justification for why the Nazis hate Jews?

Ah, so you don't think that the Muslim world is justified in attacking America because of its policies? 9/11 wasn't chickens coming home to roost?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

The answer to "what have I done to have enemies" is not always "my enemies are justified in hating me."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join