It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump does another 180 from the campaign...

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian

Marriage is another form of government control and over reach.

Marriage tends to help stabilize a society. Therefore, logically, deserves the tax breaks, and "other" advantages available.

It is now equally available to everyone.

It's is not a requirement. You are free to not marry or cohabitate.

Are you asking for special treatment?

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: dismanrc
a reply to: dfnj2015

Not much he can do on the same sex marriage, it was a SCOTUS issue.

I am pretty sure one branch of of the three is not more powerful than the other two. So Congress passes bill outlawing abortion or gay marriage, and the president signs it into law, even though the SCOTUS has made rulings, they do not matter at that point and the new law becomes precedent. I am pretty sure this is how it works. But maybe I'm wrong.

True, but he can't just sign it away. But then it would go back though the court again.

But case in fact both of those rulings where no good one by SCOTUS. Per the 10th Amendment all laws not directly addressed in the Constitution fall to the people or the states. In both cases they stretched their rulings to cover their agenda.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: dismanrc

yeah trump gets to pick the next justice or justices so yeah he will have some input

Again also true. But he still can't just wipe them away.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

So was Citizens United. That didn't stop Hillary from using it as a talking point.

I don't think Trump will do anything about it, nor do I think it's a President's problem anyway. Marriage should not have gone to the SCOTUS for that matter, it is a state issue. Not in the federal Constitution, no matter how many 'emanations' and 'penumbras' are created.

And Trump is not a social issues President.

So true. many of these cases should fall under the 10th and be a state issue. Then people can choose what state they want to live in.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
of course
politicians lie
get over it

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I am pretty sure one branch of of the three is not more powerful than the other two. So Congress passes bill outlawing abortion or gay marriage, and the president signs it into law, even though the SCOTUS has made rulings, they do not matter at that point and the new law becomes precedent. I am pretty sure this is how it works. But maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, you are wrong.
The bill becomes law, yes. But only until a case involving the new law comes before the Supremes. Then it is shot down because of precedent, which is a term that refers to court decisions, not legislative decisions.

Harte

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Winstonian

He said that he would leave it up to the states to decide.

Leaving discrimination up to states is a cop out.

We are a secular government.

Thank you for your religious bias.

If the Republicans really want to save marriage they should try to pass a law making adultery a felony.

Adultery is a criminal act in 23 states, and a felony in five of those.

Harte

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Is it that or does the image of gay men or lesbians having sex blur the image of the man and woman having sex in your mind instead?

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join