It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump does another 180 from the campaign...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: dismanrc
a reply to: dfnj2015

Not much he can do on the same sex marriage, it was a SCOTUS issue.

And Trump is not a social issues President.

I agree - I don't think he will pay much attention to social issues and leave all those decisions to the states.
The only exception I think will be abortion (although it could be argued that is not a social issue). I think Roe vs Wade may well be reversed if Trump manages to get more than 1 SCOTUS pick in place.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Liberal ideals aren't bad ones overall, it's just how they go about it - growing the government to be an even bigger beast.

I live in Utah and honestly the buzz is more about religious freedom, second amendment rights, and abortion. Less conservatives are going to freak out about respecting gay marriage..most conservatives have let go of their old grudge and homophobic ways.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Anyone can find something on the internet that supports their position.

I follow LGBT issues. I know what they are saying. They are saying wait and see. Will Trump stay with "it's a state issue"? And let religious states continue to discriminate?

IMO Trump takes the path of least resistance on issues that aren't his main focus. His main focus is himself and what's important to Trump.

Time will tell.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

yeah trump gets to pick the next justice or justices so yeah he will have some input

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian

He said that he would leave it up to the states to decide.

Leaving discrimination up to states is a cop out.

We are a secular government.

Thank you for your religious bias.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Trump is probably the best the LGBT community could hope for in a Republican and has been throughout his run.

Harte

Maybe.

To me there's a difference between "anti" & "non".

Doing nothing to progress Equality is just as bad.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Contrary to popular media propaganda, most people could really care less where you want to stick your willy wonka. He has been in support of the LGBT community since the start.

He won, and not because all of his supporters are Republicans.

The right vs left on social issues is just about dead. You cannot paint R's and D's with a broad brush anymore.

Maybe where you live. But that's not true in New Jersey. A Republican from New Jersey is further to the left than a Democrat from Texas. Trump has been a rich brat his whole life. I think having a position with this much power may change him to be one of our best responsible presidents. And as I've said many times, everyone from New Jersey is a social liberal. Trump may turn out to be further to the left than Hillary Clinton. Now if Trump doesn't bomb Iran and more Arabs for Israel, gets rid of NAFTA, get's a HUGE stimulus bill passed, and his vision of MAGA turns out to be true who cares what party he's from!

edit on 15-11-2016 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2016 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So lets see...
The man believes in fiscal conservatism - and also believes the govt. should stay out of peoples personal lives... why does this all sound so familiar...

Next thing you know, he'll be quoting Ron Paul saying "all voluntary association should be protected", or "Don't steal: the government hates competition".

#Is-Trump-a-closet-libertarian?
edit on 15-11-2016 by blood0fheroes because: Meh

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 15-11-2016 by blood0fheroes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc

Not much he can do on the same sex marriage, it was a SCOTUS issue.

I am pretty sure one branch of of the three is not more powerful than the other two. So Congress passes bill outlawing abortion or gay marriage, and the president signs it into law, even though the SCOTUS has made rulings, they do not matter at that point and the new law becomes precedent. I am pretty sure this is how it works. But maybe I'm wrong.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: blood0fheroes
So lets see...
The man believes in fiscal conservatism - and also believes the govt. should stay out of peoples personal lives... why does this all sound so familiar...

Next thing you know, he'll be quoting Ron Paul saying "all voluntary association should be protected", or "Don't steal: the government hates competition".

If he's a fiscal conservative then what is all this talk I am hearing about a fiscal stimulus package that would make Keyne blush in his grave?

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

If the Republicans really want to save marriage they should try to pass a law making adultery a felony.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: Annee

If the Republicans really want to save marriage they should try to pass a law making adultery a felony.

LOL - - for sure.

How about divorce?

In Jesus’ own words he says that a man who divorces his wife, for any reason other than her adultery, and then remarries, is violating one of the Ten Commandments.Even homosexuality doesn’t make it into God’s top ten worst things list! www.dailykos.com...

edit on 15-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: blood0fheroes

I don't think Trump can be politically labeled.

Trump's interest has always been Trump.

IMO - - he will do what benefits him.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I don't know why anyone is surprised by any of this. Trump is a complete and total neophyte when it concerns government. The only way he's going to possibly wrap his head around any of this is by surrounding himself with insiders. He's doing the same thing up and down his transition. Look beyond the names the media is giving us. Almost every advisor in each sector is a lobbyist or has experience with a run-of-the-mill GOP administration. His campaign was lie after lie and was the epitome of "do anything to get elected". This is understandable since its basically the game of modern politics, he just took it to a new level.

The entire left/right argument is ridiculous and silly. Put 5 "Democrats" and 5 "Republicans" in the same room and eliminate discussion of wedge issues (gay marriage, abortion, etc) and you'll find a LOT of common ground. How many of you who are for/against either are actually affected by issues like these? They mean so little in aspect to every day life. No one will ever be getting everything they want and no one ever should. If you're anti-abortion (a misnomer if there's ever been one), that's your prerogative and feel free to trumpet your opinion about it if a woman who is faced with that decision decides to include you. If you're anti-gay marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex. But get the hell out of other people's lives and bedrooms and feel free to stockpile weapons while you await Armageddon.

The issue with Trump besides his complete lack of basic knowledge about the White House structure is that he's legitimately giving people with extremist ideology access and influence. This is dangerous territory. On top of that you have sycophants like Hannity screaming that Trump should not allow the press access to the White House whatsoever. You also have Kellyanne Conway voicing warnings towards Harry Reid, a departing Senator well deserved of criticism but should not have to listen to threatening warnings from a campaign employee post-election. Trump's talk of MAGA was fine and dandy on the campaign trail and he tapped into sentiments that have real merit, and while I did not vote for him, I did see merit in some of his more constructive viewpoints. That said, his presidency is already off to a bad start and everyone, from his most vociferous supporters to his most ardent opponents would be wise to be on edge and look at every decision makes. He could end up being exactly what the country needs in terms of restructuring politics and moving it back towards the people, but he could also end up ruining millions of people in short order with the stroke of a pen, supporters and non.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yes, I am biased against religion. I am an agnostic/atheist. I know, I know EVERYONE that does not hold far left "progressive" political beliefs is a deplorable right wing redneck racist and sexist.

Not me, I happen to be none of those things. I am pro-human, anti-government. We should all be focusing on getting the government out of our lives, especially in the bedroom.

If government did not "sanction" marriage, the gay marriage issue would never have been an issue to begin with. It isn't anyones business who marries who, and is especially not the governments business.

Religious people shouldn't be forced to agree with or partake in gay marriage, and gay people should not be forced to bow to religious beliefs. The only win/win is to take government out of it completely.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

If government did not "sanction" marriage, the gay marriage issue would never have been an issue to begin with. It isn't anyones business who marries who, and is especially not the governments business.

But, they did.

I've read up on marriage licenses. Early marriage licenses came from the Catholic church (they took the idea from the people). When the Catholic church discovered they could make money by charging couples a fee for a license, they adopted the practice.

In America, in the southern area, a law was made requiring a marriage license. It's intent was to prevent interracial marriages.

A marriage license is a government document, that ensures protection for rights and property of those involved.

It has ZERO to do with religion.

You can get a legal Covenant Marriage in 3 states.

Only 1% of the population in those states has opted for Covenant marriage. Which means 99% opted for the standard government marriage license.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

So then you support a law that was created specifically to deny others of rights? Kind of like how the left supports income tax, and higher income tax for that matter.

Income tax was created to fund war, and apparently marriage was created to discriminate against people of color.

We should really fight both of these institutions of oppression.

Government has such a long history of discrimination and denial of rights, why do people on the left support it so much? Let's stand against the oppression of government together! You would think that people would be sick of begging big daddy government for rights by now.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

So then you support a law that was created specifically to deny others of rights? Kind of like how the left supports income tax, and higher income tax for that matter.

It has become a practical law that protects rights and property of those involved. It's basically a contract 2 people enter into of their own free will.

It provides tax breaks not available any other way, among other things.

NO ONE is required to get married. It is 100% choice.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

It is a form of discrimination against people that do not choose to marry. In contract law, you cannot offer incentives in order to entice people into said contract.

Marriage is another form of government control and over reach.

And again, I could care less what people do in the bedroom. I have plenty of LGBT friends and associates.

I stand against government discrimination and oppression on behalf of those that will not, or do not know that they should.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join