It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 200 Delaware Inmates Given Life Terms for Murder, Rape and Kidnapping May be Set Free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
A Delaware State Supreme Court ruling may change some life sentences to that of 45 years. The ruling applies to life with parole sentences handed out before the mid 1990's. Some 200 prisoners would be eligible for release. State legislators called the ruling "outrageous" and vow to find a remedy.

story.news.yahoo.com
WILMINGTON, Del. - Nearly 200 inmates serving time for murder, rape and kidnapping will be eligible for immediate release following a ruling by the Delaware Supreme Court that some life sentences should be considered 45-year terms.

The ruling applies only to life-with-parole sentences handed down for crimes committed before mid-1990. That was the year Delaware clarified its sentencing laws.

Before 1990, a sentence of life with parole was considered a 45-year term for purposes of calculating good time credit and setting a parole date. Prosecutors maintained that if an inmate was repeatedly denied parole, he could be held until he died.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Apparently life does not mean what you might think in Delaware. As the article points out some of these people despite being denied parole, with time off for good behavior, would serve only 26 years. Where is the justice in that? It should be noted that this ruling does not apply to 1st degree murder cases that were given life without parole.

[edit on 1/25/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
A life sentence in Arkansas is only 20 years so a with parole a person with a "life" sentence may only serve 5 years. This is my major arguement against people who say a life sentence is preferable to a Death sentence. Even if they serve the ENTIRE sentence its only 20 years not "life".

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The authorities and legislatures may stand in awe of the crimes and repeat crimes being committed these days!

I'm talking about violent crimes on the most part since this thread deals with murderers, rapists and kidnappers!

Here is the reason that violent crimes seem so widespread and rampant: THE LAWS ARE NOT EVEN DESIGNED TO PUNISH THESE PEOPLE!

EDIT: We have no one to blame but ourselves for electing officials that appoint pansies judges and wussies that govern our society!

We need to get some hard-core people who's not afraid to tell a criminal that they're a criminal and they will be punished!

NEED TO HAVE SOME MORE PEOPLE IN OFFICE THAT IS LIKE ME!

[edit on 25/1/05 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Emotional Appeal

Apparently the appeal filed by Cletus Delroy, who was sentenced to life in prison for the crime of Aggravated Habitual Stupidity, had its effect.

The appeal consisted of nothing but the following words:

"The best years of my life I gave to you!"

Apparently, the Delaware State Supreme Court bought it.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Emotional Appeal

Apparently the appeal filed by Cletus Delroy, who was sentenced to life in prison for the crime of Aggravated Habitual Stupidity, had its effect.

The appeal consisted of nothing but the following words:

"The best years of my life I gave to you!"

Apparently, the Delaware State Supreme Court bought it.

If the best years are already gone, then he might as well live out the rest of his life being taken care of!

3 hots and a cot! Sounds like more than he deserves (dirtbag!).

Not you majic, the criminal is the dirtbag!

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Housing prisoners is expensive.

So if you are going to go crazy on someone carrying a small amount of pot or even coke and keep Them locked up, you may have to let a few murderers, rapists and armed robbers go.

Set you priorities and make your choices.

As you probably have figured out, I am for stopping wasting time on of age adults who choose to ingest/inject whatever into their bodies. If they maintain control of themselves it is their business. Same goes for prostitution.

Don't ya just love it when everybody [and esp. politicians] get all pompous and 'down' on crime and mandate tougher sentences [like judges are so soft], but nobody actually wants to build the prisons and staff them because it costs too much.
Put your money where your mouth is or get your priorities in better order.

If we moved all the DEA agents into counter terrorism, maybe we could stop the next 911. Obviously the FBI and CIA aren't up to it on their own.

new topics

top topics

join