It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 8 hurt in ‘flash mob’ attack in Center City, including off-duty cop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Go Philly!!!

"Over 50 juveniles reportedly began attacking people in the area of 16th and Walnut streets around 6 p.m. Saturday night, leading to as many as eight injuries. NBC10 reports an off-duty police officer had the bone around his eye broken when the crowd turned on him while attempting to make arrests."

I should say this is horrible but its just to be expected in a big city. If one cop looks at a person wrong people will show up in the PC forum here with pitchforks proclaiming them all brownshirts.

A scenario like this and all 50 of the animals should be arrested but sadly that wont happen. Ill post follow up if its there but my guess is the same authors on Philly.com will blame everyone but the kids who did this..They will blame being ignored or marginalized or something similar vs just saying "a pack of an animals acted like a pack of animals

www.philly.com..."

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Its not their fault! Its because.............(insert any amount of liberal accountability deflecting groupthink). And mimic the outgoing first lady's upright finger wag while doing so.
edit on 13-11-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
"Paging Sheriff Clarke"

Sincerely,
Department of Homeland Security

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

This is mass hysteria. They are just going along....most of them don't even know why they are doing it. Living a simple life out in the country has sheltered me from a lot. I guess I underestimated how brain washed some Americans really are.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: jabvista

This is mass hysteria.

"Dogs and cats, living together..."

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: jabvista

This is mass hysteria. They are just going along....most of them don't even know why they are doing it. Living a simple life out in the country has sheltered me from a lot. I guess I underestimated how brain washed some Americans really are.

I didn't realize how brainwashed people were for the longest, well I was too at one point you know multiple points in multiple ways, probably am now to whatever degree..

but I've lost no love for cops. They are better than gangs. I mean they are a gang but the rules they follow are better than any other gang.

I doubt a color revolution will work in America just like it couldn't work in Russia.
but an american version of Libya or Syria would be HELL.

useful idiots all around. asking for their own destruction.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
"Paging Sheriff Clarke"

Sincerely,
Department of Homeland Security

Yea they need to clone him or something and put one in each city. He knows the truth of what is going on and is not afraid to say it, and he seems like the tough leader type.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I should say this is horrible...

Yes, it should be said, and it is.

But so is using this as a political bat to bludgeon your political opponents.

...but its just to be expected in a big city. If one cop looks at a person wrong people will show up in the PC forum here with pitchforks proclaiming them all brownshirts.

That's not even close to truth, and it totally and completely minimizes and undermines the very real concerns inherent in our present situation, thus perpetuating and exacerbating the situation, and in effect creating even more threats and dangers to the LEOs you would have us believe you are speaking for.

A scenario like this and all 50 of the animals should be arrested but sadly that wont happen.

Probably not, because the chances of identifying and tracking down all of the perps is next to nothing. But that's not because of any kind of political correctness or SJW protections for violent criminals.

Ill post follow up if its there but my guess is the same authors on Philly.com will blame everyone but the kids who did this..They will blame being ignored or marginalized or something similar vs just saying "a pack of an animals acted like a pack of animals

There is obviously no good excuse for such violence against anyone by anyone. None. And at this point, it is difficult to believe such people can be effectively rehabilitated and reformed.

Hence the need to find, identify and address the root causes that brought them to who and what they are now. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You can mock and ignore the underlying causes of this phenomenon, but it's far more practical and beneficial to make sure it doesn't happen to begin with. Much better than pointing fingers over hurt and dead bodies.

We can start with the toxins in our water supplies, specifically lead, which is known to negatively impact developing minds and does, in fact, induce a gross lack of empathy and violent tendencies, and the cognitive inability to use reason and logic to make better choices.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It is only a matter of time before these "SJW" mobs runs into a CCW citizen. I hope leaders on left come out and denounce these types of behaviors. These type of things will only end up badly for everyone.
edit on 13-11-2016 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Incoming, "the Russians caused it".

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

You can mock and ignore the underlying causes of this phenomenon, but it's far more practical and beneficial to make sure it doesn't happen to begin with. Much better than pointing fingers over hurt and dead bodies.

We can start with the toxins in our water supplies, specifically lead, which is known to negatively impact developing minds...

Or we could look into something that has changed consistent with the increase in violent tendencies among youth. Lead use has been curtailed in society, not increased. Ergo, lead consumption is not a logical suspect.

What has changed is societal attitude towards youth. Constant coddling throughout formative years. An attempt to remove all consequences from actions. Prescribed drug use for children to maintain calm rather than discipline. Definition of 'child abuse' to include corporal punishment. Attempts to remove parental rights to promote social agendas. Family courts that are more responsive to financial gain for the lawyers than to the true best interests of the children.

You are correct that we need to determine the cause and fix it. Just not that that cause must coincide with easily swallowed propaganda.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Or we could look into something that has changed consistent with the increase in violent tendencies among youth.

How about this: AND we should look into other changes consistent with the increase in violent tendencies among youth.

Lead use has been curtailed in society, not increased. Ergo, lead consumption is not a logical suspect.

Yes, lead use and therefore lead poisoning has been curtailed in society, at least in part for the reasons I stated. But it is not eliminated, such as pre-existing lead and lead-tainted water pipes still in use today.

Further, those most affected in concentrated areas are the inner-city residents... where we also find the greatest levels of violent crime. Ergo, lead consumption is indeed a logical suspect, as confirmed by the many young adults in those inner cities diagnosed with lead poisoning.

It is a good place to start where the problem is greatest. But as you note below, it is only a start.

What has changed is societal attitude towards youth. Constant coddling throughout formative years. An attempt to remove all consequences from actions. Prescribed drug use for children to maintain calm rather than discipline. Definition of 'child abuse' to include corporal punishment. Attempts to remove parental rights to promote social agendas. Family courts that are more responsive to financial gain for the lawyers than to the true best interests of the children.

All valid points, and very much appreciated. I would also point out that all of these root causes compound each other, in various ways, depending on nature and nurture.

You are correct that we need to determine the cause and fix it.

Thank you -- another good start.

Just not that that cause must coincide with easily swallowed propaganda.

I would suggest that the "easily swallowed propaganda" is coming from the city, state and federal officials who are trying to cover their own butts, who know this is a problem and that it happened on their watch and continue to let it happen and refuse to fix the problem.

Well, and those exploiting the situation for their own selfish purposes and agenda.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Go Philly!!!

"Over 50 juveniles reportedly began attacking people in the area of 16th and Walnut streets around 6 p.m. Saturday night, leading to as many as eight injuries. NBC10 reports an off-duty police officer had the bone around his eye broken when the crowd turned on him while attempting to make arrests."

I should say this is horrible but its just to be expected in a big city. If one cop looks at a person wrong people will show up in the PC forum here with pitchforks proclaiming them all brownshirts.

A scenario like this and all 50 of the animals should be arrested but sadly that wont happen. Ill post follow up if its there but my guess is the same authors on Philly.com will blame everyone but the kids who did this..They will blame being ignored or marginalized or something similar vs just saying "a pack of an animals acted like a pack of animals

www.philly.com..."

What you quote is not in the article.

The only specifics are given is this:

According to police, a smaller group of juveniles broke off from a large crowd and began attacking people in the area of 16th and Walnut streets around 6 p.m. Saturday night. Six people were injured.
One of the injured was an off duty police officer.

It says nothing about 50 youths attacking people 'flash mob style'. The title of the article says 'flash mob', true, but there is nothing in the article that matches your quote. The author doesn't say how it was a 'flash bob' either.
edit on 13-11-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Ergo, lead consumption is indeed a logical suspect...

I can't make the statement that lead could not possibly be impacting the situation... but I do see it as a minor contribution at best. While there are, as you say, older buildings contaminated with lead in the inner city, these buildings have been around for quite some time. Why would the lead suddenly be making such an impact now?

All valid points, and very much appreciated.

Thank you. And I concur that the societal interactions contributing to and arising from these causes are complex.

If we are thinking along social terms, the one thing that has shown marked increase in the inner cities during the last twenty years is desperation and poverty. These could easily be contributors to the causes I listed, and could be combated effectively by making the inner cities more attractive to business - creating more employment, and targeting them for first-stage infrastructure repair.

Vandalism is a major issue. If the infrastructure repairs were done primarily by local youth, allowing them to make some money by working for it for a change, would that also help discourage vandalism? People who have a vested stake in things typically have more respect for those things.

I would suggest that the "easily swallowed propaganda" is coming from the city, state and federal officials who are trying to cover their own butts, who know this is a problem and that it happened on their watch and continue to let it happen and refuse to fix the problem.

Well, and those exploiting the situation for their own selfish purposes and agenda.

I would suggest that you are absolutely correct. The corruption in all levels of government is the root cause, IMO, for the vast majority of our societal ills.

I find hope in the fact that four of Trump's major priorities are economic recovery, infrastructure repair, corruption prosecution, and inner city revitalization.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Internet news often update their articles.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Does the exact number of involved juveniles really matter?

Does the exact definition of what kind of mob it was really matter?

I believe the important aspects were accurate: a group of juveniles involved in a protest over a democratic election beat up people. That is 'mob justice' and an indication that the country is out of control. Nit-picking details justifies nothing.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Click the NBC 10 link in the article. I don't know if it was there before but its there now.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I can't make the statement that lead could not possibly be impacting the situation... but I do see it as a minor contribution at best.

I don't think we disagree necessarily. I would call it concentrated (inner cities), with a significant impact therein. And the reason I say "significant" is because the vast majority of violent crime is committed by those residents in those areas. And I suspect it feeds upon itself exponentially within that population in various negative and harmful ways.

While there are, as you say, older buildings contaminated with lead in the inner city...

It is not just buildings, but the underground water pipes throughout cities which contain and leech lead. As I understand it, newer developments within cities have lead-free pipes, but those pipes hook up with the older centralized lead pipes. Some water supplies are more corrosive than others, which leeches greater amounts of lead than less corrosive water supplies. That was the problem when Flint changed water supplies. And of course, these water supplies are supposed to be regularly tested and treated to further reduce lead contamination, but too often are not properly tested and therefore not properly treated -- often knowingly and deliberately, one way or another minimizing or hiding the true level of contamination. Hence my putting the blame squarely on govt officials trying to cover their own butts -- just like in Flint.

...these buildings have been around for quite some time. Why would the lead suddenly be making such an impact now?

I believe it's a combination of factors, both physical/environmental and mental/emotional, all feeding on each other. But of course I don't know anything for sure. The issue got my attention after reading about the connection between lead poisoning and violence after Freddie Gray died.

I think we can probably also agree that -- whether physical/environmental or mental/emotional or both -- garbage in, garbage out, and the inner-city population has been fed a whole lot of garbage for far too long. And, yes, I am including those who claim to want to "help."

If we are thinking along social terms, the one thing that has shown marked increase in the inner cities during the last twenty years is desperation and poverty. These could easily be contributors to the causes I listed...

... and could be combated effectively by making the inner cities more attractive to business - creating more employment, and targeting them for first-stage infrastructure repair.

I agree.

Vandalism is a major issue. If the infrastructure repairs were done primarily by local youth, allowing them to make some money by working for it for a change, would that also help discourage vandalism? People who have a vested stake in things typically have more respect for those things.

I think that may be exactly the type of thing we need to focus on. Give people a stake, give them an opportunity, give them a purpose, give them security, give them a future to work for -- all of that also gives people genuine self-worth not only because they did accomplish something, but because they know they can build on that and expand on it and achieve even more in the future. Just as negativity feeds on itself, so does positivity feed on itself.

But the achievements have to be real for the value to be real. And the opportunities have to be real for the achievements to be real.

I find hope in the fact that four of Trump's major priorities are economic recovery, infrastructure repair, corruption prosecution, and inner city revitalization.

I have as well. I do trust that Trump understands all the things that go into a thriving economy -- and that detract from a thriving economy. And us average Joes are the ones that make it possible.

I would really love to see Trump reach out to Mike Rowe (from "Dirty Jobs"), who has some great ideas and projects in general, who I believe could suggest and even coordinate/organize such projects for inner city youth. They could learn some valuable marketable skills in the process. And those skills would be valuable to them and the nation as we rebuild our infrastructure.

Hell -- just make Mike Rowe Secretary of Labor!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: opethPA
Go Philly!!!

www.philly.com..."

What you quote is not in the article.

The only specifics are given is this:

According to police, a smaller group of juveniles broke off from a large crowd and began attacking people in the area of 16th and Walnut streets around 6 p.m. Saturday night. Six people were injured.
One of the injured was an off duty police officer.

It says nothing about 50 youths attacking people 'flash mob style'. The title of the article says 'flash mob', true, but there is nothing in the article that matches your quote. The author doesn't say how it was a 'flash bob' either.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. I live in a suburb of Philly, I know two of the victims. There were at least fifty. And yes, it was a flash mob.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I don't think we disagree necessarily.

Actually, I think we agree more than disagree. Our discussion thus far has been over the best way to confront the issue on a permanent basis, not over whether or not we need to do so. Oh, if only our politicians could watch and learn!

It is not just buildings, but the underground water pipes throughout cities which contain and leech lead.

Eh, you do have a point there. Perhaps that should be one of the main initial focuses on the infrastructure.

I think we can probably also agree that -- whether physical/environmental or mental/emotional or both -- garbage in, garbage out, and the inner-city population has been fed a whole lot of garbage for far too long. And, yes, I am including those who claim to want to "help."

I can absolutely agree.

I think that may be exactly the type of thing we need to focus on. Give people a stake, give them an opportunity, give them a purpose, give them security, give them a future to work for -- all of that also gives people genuine self-worth not only because they did accomplish something, but because they know they can build on that and expand on it and achieve even more in the future. Just as negativity feeds on itself, so does positivity feed on itself.

But the achievements have to be real for the value to be real. And the opportunities have to be real for the achievements to be real.

Exactly my thoughts. If someone gets a real job repaving a road... that's hard, dirty, back-breaking work... they get to look at that road every day and say "I did that." They'll have a little money in their pockets from that hard work. And chances are, they'll start looking for a way to replicate that feeling after the road is paved. That's a good job, which leads to a better home, a better car, more of the things we take for granted... and the next thing you know they aren't a gang-banger any more... they're a pillar of society showing those younger than them the way forward.

As crime goes down, more businesses will move back in, because that's what drove them away to begin with. That's more jobs. That's more revenue for the state. Funnel that back into better local schools. In a decade, you'll have manufacturing jobs paying good wages.

And if he's smart, Trump will take that success and arrange a drive into the neighborhood, stop the car, and personally shake the hand of and thank those ex-troubled youth who did the work. Heck, arrange a press conference, get them all up on stage, and give them a standing ovation! Come 2020, the left will lose the inner city vote 90-10!

And that's probably why DC is so terrified. Disadvantaged people can be easily controlled; not so much with successful people.

Hell -- just make Mike Rowe Secretary of Labor!!!

I could go along with that!

TheRedneck

top topics

<<   2 >>

join