It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles Mayor Warns Trump About Immigration Policies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   

At a hastily convened meeting Friday at the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti warned that the city will question Trump’s decisions on immigration.

“If the first day, as president, we see something that is hostile to our people, hostile to our city, bad for our economy, bad for our security, we will speak up, speak out, act up and act out,” Garcetti said.

The mayor also said police would continue to enforce Special Order 40, which bars officers from asking people about their immigration status.
LINK

You may disagree with my interpretation of the comments above, but I believe the title of this thread is correct. The mayor of Los Angeles is warning Trump that L.A. will not necessarily follow any new laws concerning immigration.

We're seeing what a strong, ethical POTUS would look like. They would get attacked by criminal elements from top to bottom.

Even the Catholic Church in L.A. apparently supports illegal immigrants. I thought Christians were ordered by the Bible to support reasonable laws and governments?
edit on 13-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

It's fine for him to speak up and challenge. That is a good thing.
Once laws are passed though, if he breaks them or aids others breaking them, then he goes to jail.
edit on 13/11/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

You may not believe that he'll do what he's saying, but let's take it piece by piece.

At a hastily convened meeting Friday at the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti warned that the city will question Trump’s decisions on immigration.

“If the first day, as president, we see something that is hostile to our people, hostile to our city, bad for our economy, bad for our security, we will speak up, speak out, act up and act out,” Garcetti said.

The mayor also said police would continue to enforce Special Order 40, which bars officers from asking people about their immigration status.
LINK

“If the first day, as president, we see something that is hostile to our people, hostile to our city, bad for our economy, bad for our security, we will speak up, speak out, act up and act out”

He just said he plans to "act up and act out." Does that sound like he plans to go along with whatever the laws are (no matter what)? I don't get that impression.

He's saying that if there's a new law that makes Special Order 40 illegal, he's going to continue to enforce Special Order 40 anyway. I see no wiggle room there. It's as clear as day. As to whether he'll go to jail, that's a matter for the courts. Unfortunately, there's a good chance a liberal judge or two may disagree with your assessment.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   

I find myself torn on this one.

Obviously I think deporting ILLEGAL immigrants is the right thing to do, however, I also kind of like it when the state governments stand up to the Feds. I think states deserve more rights.

Now, if California wants to suffer economically for their stupid policy then maybe we should let them.
edit on 2016/11/13 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The problem with that argument in my view is the fact that there's no wall around California. Illegal immigrants can hop in a car and be anywhere in the contiguous United States within days. That's a national security threat in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Personally I would let California do it.

Then fine the # out of them to pay for any consequences caused elsewhere in the country.

Seeing as Mexico won’t pay for a wall.....make California pay for it

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Personally I would let California do it.

Then fine the # out of them to pay for any consequences caused elsewhere in the country.

There's no fine that could ever make up for a dead person or a terrorist act.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I believe that President Trump is going to remove federal money from all Sanctuary cities. Until they conform to the law of the land. It is the only thing that he can do, to make them follow the law. Without federal money coming to the cities much of what they need and want will not be available to them. It is part of the scheme of completing the southern wall. I believe he will give the Border Patrol orders to follow the law and do their duty.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

I believe he will give the Border Patrol orders to follow the law and do their duty.

Something that is common sense to most people, but not Obama.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   

It looks like Seattle is planning to counter Trump's move by raising taxes. This is going to be an epic showdown.

So far, Republican-led initiatives to stop federal funding to sanctuary cities have failed in Congress. But under the looming specter of president-elect Trump, such cities are already bracing for cuts, which could affect everything from health care spending to infrastructure investment. Officials in San Francisco estimate they receive more than $1 billion a year from the federal government. Seattle mayor Ed Murray told locals they might need a new tax to fund efforts to reduce homelessness because he intends to maintain the city’s “sanctuary” status.

“These are our neighbors, and we will continue to support our neighbors,” Murray said on Nov. 9.
LINK

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
I believe that President Trump is going to remove federal money from all Sanctuary cities. Until they conform to the law of the land. It is the only thing that he can do, to make them follow the law. Without federal money coming to the cities much of what they need and want will not be available to them. It is part of the scheme of completing the southern wall. I believe he will give the Border Patrol orders to follow the law and do their duty.

Trump is not stupid..... not only will he cancel all funds for sanctuary cities but I hope he cancels all federal funds to any state that defies his orders on immigration....

Let the states pay their own way..... I can only think of one maybe two states who has the finances to do this and California is NOT one of them.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Then he needs to be impeached. Fact is, you must follow the law. Hedoesnt get to make up his own. This is beyond ludicrous

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I think that the people in California have been told for so many years that they are the ones who fund the Fed and the rest of the country just leeches of what is actually California's money that they actually believe it.
I think if push comes to shove and those sanctuary cities actually did lose their funding and the state actually did raise the peoples taxes high enough to keep business as usual going...... the revolt would be massive.
As soon as the "everyday Californian" started feeling the effects of defunding...they will turn on the people who lulled them into complacency . Someone will certainly rise up and start pointing to the elected officials and start enumerating the facts

If the people who are accustomed to eating steak for dinner suddenly find themselves eating hamburger and mac&cheese because their already high taxes went even higher to pay for the illegals to continue enjoying the freeride....... that love of illegals and sanctuary cities will quickly turn into resentment.
When the door falls off of some LA school and all they have money for is some duct tape to hang it back up with...and the people start saying they want a new door....they are not going to be very sympathetic to stories about some poor soul sneaking across the border.
At an average of $11,600 per student..... every illegal removed from the education system buys the schools some much needed equipment and supplies. Remove 100 illegals from a high school.... you suddenly have have the resources to hire 2 more teachers, which reduces class size........ which gives the kids who are supposed to be there a better education..... without needing to raise more funds to pay for them.

If there are 11 million illegals here, and each family has 4 kids...... that is almost 3 million people in our education system who should not be there taking resources away from those who should. That is over 30 billion dollars a year that is being improperly spent, that we the tax payers have allocated to be used on educating OUR children. Not mexicos children..... not Canada's children....... OUR children. When you add things like...free lunches and special classes and teachers needed to communicate with them..... it rises significantly

One thing I have pondered for years...... How is it that a person whose grandparents were born in America...... still have an accent when they speak English.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

It looks like Seattle is planning to counter Trump's move by raising taxes. This is going to be an epic showdown.

So far, Republican-led initiatives to stop federal funding to sanctuary cities have failed in Congress. But under the looming specter of president-elect Trump, such cities are already bracing for cuts, which could affect everything from health care spending to infrastructure investment. Officials in San Francisco estimate they receive more than $1 billion a year from the federal government. Seattle mayor Ed Murray told locals they might need a new tax to fund efforts to reduce homelessness because he intends to maintain the city’s “sanctuary” status.

“These are our neighbors, and we will continue to support our neighbors,” Murray said on Nov. 9.
LINK

Well now, once he does that the people of Seattle will have to suffer and pay themselves for their sanctuary city status. We'll then see how much they really believe in it! It will take just a few months before they start complaining they are paying more tax than everyone else.

It would actually be so funny to see them have to pay personally for the status.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Its easy to build ever higher walls. People will still fly over, dig under or sail around them.

Its easy to round people up. Sorting out their identities is a different matter as well.

There is this community pool, the rules say only four visitors to every member.

Sometimes though there is this invasion of people, like a pool party, with catered food, some adults and twenty or thirty screaming meemy kids. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to go in there and verify whose kids belong to which family that lives there or not.

Everyone goes huh, no speaky and laughs.
edit on 13-11-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Raising taxes is not the answer. That only hurts everyone that does not make a good wage. The city government will only hurt themselves.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Sanctuary cities are NOT following the law. They are doing the exact opposite. Impeachment is not the answer to question. President Trump would be following the law.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
November 13 2016.... five days have passed and all manner of predictions and prognostications espoused....

I fear it's a bit early to accept any suggestions of the immediate future.

Things will fall into place I think.

Good news already..........
Ben Carson to head a new health care plan. Doctor... healthcare.... a match made in heaven. The proper treatment for the ailment.. May smart heads prevail.
Immigration will remain in the forefront for some time, it is a difficult task at best to find and deport in some of these Sanctuary cities. But it can be done. I suggest a 1-800 # to turn in known illegals as a start. Once a trend is started, I believe those who voted for Trump will follow through in issues like these.
As crime declines it will look quite attractive.
edit on 13-11-2016 by Plotus because: add info

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

My analysis, (preliminary) is that much of the anti-Trump protests and riots, and political rhetoric you are witnessing has more to do with leftist open immgration agenda and policies than anything else. Much, if not all of this revolves around the sanctuary cities and counties policies adopted by leftist operated governmental agencies.

Look at this article and list: www.ojjpac.org... and youll start to see the corelation.

Its popular to ascribe these movements to the Democrat party. In reality, they are travelling under the big Democrat umbrella. But truth be told, the leadership and most ardent supporters of the open immigration are part of the Globalist Marxist movement which seeks to undo the entire concept of the nation state.

new topics

top topics

join