It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Civil War in ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
"You can't un ring a bell."

"Blood (metaphorically) has been spilled."

"You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube."

I don't envy the mods here. I know many have their own opinions, were the targets of many of the attacks. . . and here they are, trying to calm the waters regardless.

I've said things during the election. Others have said things to me. There are members here that I intentionally ignore. I'm sure many look at my avatar and do the same.

We have fought and are still fighting a civil war.

Both sides have given no ground. Even after the election, war still reigns.

This really isn't a thread to offer solutions.

You have to admit there is a problem first.

So I'm admitting there is a problem. Just being "nice" doesn't seem to be working very well. (again, the mods have an impossible job)

The "victory" has been a bitter one because the other "side' hasn't yet surrendered. And I doubt they ever will.

So where does that leave us?

I suppose I could be the "bigger man" and admit that Trump is Hitler and his followers deplorable just to appease those on the opposing side. But then I wouldn't be the same poster I am now. I'd be a liar.

I can't expect others to admit that Hillary is Hitler either. that would mean they too, would be capitulating on their beliefs.

Perhaps the only solution is to ignore those you find "deplorable" ( I do that already) and continue the fight.

Apologies extended to those who will have to moderate the battles.
edit on 12-11-2016 by DBCowboy because: spelling errors

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't mean to seem daft but, I will.

I don't understand why anyone is still arguing. Have I missed something?

Hillary lost, Trump won. That's it so, either we roll up our sleeves and begin working together toward an improved future or we keep gnashing our teeth and doing nothing which, IMO, is exactly what has gotten us here to begin with.

Am I wrong? What does all of the arguing over a 'done deal' do or help?

I don't get it.

It feels like spinning wheels in the mud, to me.

*shrugs*

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
While you ignore me I enter your house and eat your cookies...

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I don't even know what I am doing on this site anymore.

There are ATS members that low-key support violence on this site.

Once you go off the rails to support violence we are done.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Perhaps the election wasn't the entire war, but just the opening salvo in a bigger war.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I don't even know what I am doing on this site anymore.

There are ATS members that low-key support violence on this site.

Once you go off the rails to support violence we are done.

It's a microcosm of the world we live in now.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Perhaps the election wasn't the entire war, but just the opening salvo in a bigger war.

I get 'shots fired' but, it just seems like it has always been left/right.

There is very little middle ground and THAT is the problem, I see.

There has been a left/right 'type' argument since I've been here, granted I've not been here ( on ATS) that long.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
While you ignore me I enter your house and eat your cookies...

Damn you.

Damn you to hell!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

It's gone beyond left/right.

At least that's how I'm seeing it.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

What if they gave a war and nobody came?

People are going to be exactly who and what they want to be. It's our choice -- and ours alone -- to choose who and what we want to be. No one has to engage in the pettiness and in-fighting. That's a conscious choice.

We can also choose to ignore those who do, choose our battles carefully (hopefully those inclined to reap fruit), and get to work on solutions with reasonable people with common grounds.... not just arguing about the same old problems.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Common ground means compromise.

When you're at war, "compromise" means you're losing.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

What if they gave a war and nobody came?

Surely we can all agree on no more wars.

Violence and wars make me sad.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Anyone that uses Bill as an avatar is Ok in my book.... jus the fact you know who Bill is shows you are a cut above the rest.
On a more somber note...Death by acne is a terrible thing and I know that we all share in the grief felt all these years later in the passing of Bill.
Bill''s in a better place now. Free from all the temper tantrums and sore losers..... but I have no doubt that if Bill was here today to see all this foolishness he would say this one thing." ackkkkkk"
edit on 12-11-2016 by Zimnydran because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It might be a reaction to some of Trump's own words on "paying legal fees" and having people "leave on a stretcher". Not saying that supporting violence is justified in any situation but Trump supported violence as well during his campaign.

Both sides aren't much different in that regard, it's only that the winners seem to have taken some kind of faux moral high ground now that they have won. If they had lost then it would be the same only flipped to their side.

Just my opinion though. I see glaring issues on both sides of the fence.
edit on 11/12/2016 by LumenImagoDei because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I really don't want to fight. I want to discuss things.

I do miss when violence over not getting your way become acceptable.

But I also recognize we all have our personal thresholds too. There is a point beyond which a person cannot be pushed.

I know I have some clear ideas in my head where my threshold would be. Simply losing a vote does not qualify for me.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Common ground means compromise.
When you're at war, "compromise" means you're losing.

Concessions (same thing really just prefer it) seems to be a more reasonable word, on both sides (all sides).

If the winners concede to the losers some things that they want can the losers not concede to some of the things that the winners want?

I know I want to live in a fairy tale and I feel like I am talking to the children but...it's the same old thing over and over, year after year.

I watched my sister in law's meltdown on FB for a week. I had to log off and not back on because it was so ridiculous. The sky is falling, BTW. I'm not happy about the the outcome, necessarily but, I know that wringing our hands over it does absolutely nothing.

(No, I did NOT vote for Hillary)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Being neutral in all of it I must say it is entertaining watching both sides fight it out. I stand ready to say "HA!" at both sides when the time comes and I stand equally ready to take criticism if my suspicions are proven wrong. Major respect to the mods that have to keep this crazy train on the tracks.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

which side of ATS is freeing the slaves?

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Honestly I dont understand it all. Its pretty depressing to see people behaving in this manner. I voted independent back when Obama won and I celebrated our democracy just the same during his inauguration. In the past i have felt the same way about the electoral college, but you cannot move the goal post after the ball has been made.

In fact it does seem the electoral college alienates the outsiders or minorities whatever the race the same way affirmative action works. It also makes a pretty big mountain for independents to climb. I can only hope that Trump uncovers a path to prosperity for all of us.

The rioters should be protesting hillary and the DNC's corruption not the process at which the american people have agreed upon.

In fear of retaliatory attacks by violent protesting posters I will now place the obligatory duck tape over my mouth.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

This is the problem: the people who are melting down right now don't understand that they have pushed a bit too far. This was a bit like what happened during the gay marriage debate when the owner of Chik-fil-A get royally castigated for simply saying he supported traditional marriage and all of a sudden several cities tried to block his restaurants from going in and prominent pols came out against him and his business.

Then, on one day, people just came out of the woodwork all over the nation and went to eat at Chik-fil-A. There were lines around the block at restaurants, restaurants running out of food ... It was an organic expression of how tired the average person was of the attitude people had toward those who liked traditional marriage.

In a way, you could say that this past Tuesday was a similar expression.

You can't continue to call people names like this. It was one thing when you did it on an isolated basis. It would cow most people into silence, but when you start trying to blanket shame entire groups for "thought-crime," eventually people start to look around and realize that they aren't what you are calling then, their neighbors and family members and friends aren't what you are calling them either. And if you are lying about so many people they know ... then how many other lies are you telling when you call those nasty names? And suddenly the labels lose their power and people start to get mad about being cowed by them for so long.

And you get what happened on Tuesday.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join