It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamas popularity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

While you're right, what it also shows is with all the power at their fingertips (media, influence in education ect) people are pushing back, and it's proof we don't want what they are trying to sell

Everyone is trying to sell something. Nobody more than a candidate trying to be elected president. We have to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Everyone bags on the media as though the media was ever bias-free.

Can somebody please point to when that time was?

The fact remains that the mainstream media is far less biased and concerned with journalist integrity than most "alternative media" in the age of clickbait. Worse yet, much of it is far beyond simple bias — they foist hoax after hoax on people — just like (un)"True Pundit" was doing during this election. Who really thinks that's a better situation to be in?

I'd take Fox News over Infowars any day of the weekm let alone some WordPress blog that my wingnut uncle reposted on Facebook that turns out to be run by a kid in some village in Macedonia.

I would recommend that people become better consumers of media. Go into it knowing that there's going to be a degree of bias and focus on the facts. Compare multiple sources to normalize the bias.

Burning down the institutions of professional journalism will not make us better informed. It's a scorched earth strategy that will make us all more ignorant.

edit on 2016-11-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Disinformation campaigns are a serious concern of yours? The Billionaire's Brain Hackers

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I can agree with most of what you said here. But as consumers, we need to start demanding journalistic integrity.

edit on 12-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Grambler

The reason most polls are garbage is because polling is NOT a science.

It is an art.

Politics isn't a science either. The only thing it's about is perception, and there is a term for seeing what we want to see.

Pareidolia.

Scientific polling is an oxymoron.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
polls are crap,

polls say that the approval rating for congress is at an all time low, but almost every incumbent was re-elected this year.

either the polls are wrong or the voters re-elected people who they believe are doing a bad job.
I know that the average voter isn`t the sharpest tool in the shed but even I don`t believe that they would intentionally re-elect someone who they thought was doing a bad job.

For Congress it doesn't matter what any national poll says. What matters is what the local people say.

In general, Congress is hated nationally but on average each person generally likes their personal Congressman, or else they wouldn't be an incumbent.

I think Nancy Pelosi is a horrible person, no business being a Rep. But I don't get to vote for oe against her, neither does most of the USA.

The only members of Congress I got to vote for were my Representative and Senator. That's all. I really don't care what a person outside my voting area thinks.

edit on 12-11-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

While you make valid points I am privy to the media being in on it this time. Hillary camp was far to chummy with the media.

Then there is two glaring points that stick out to me.

Hillary Camp colluded with CNN to prop Trump up as he was seen as easy to beat for her. He got almost 5 billion dollars worth of media coverage and one of the CNN heads even came out and regretted giving him so much coverage.

Bernie got as much air time as her email scandals or Jeb Bush (how do Jeb who didn't have a chance get more than Bernie?).

Result, two candidates guaranteed to spike ratings with commercials hyping up the debate in a way that sounded like a boxing match.

So maybe the media isn't in bed with Hillary but this scenario definitely spiked viewership.

Bernie doesn't play dirty politics so they didn't want him.

You can't deny they had no influence on this cycle.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Grambler

The reason most polls are garbage is because polling is NOT a science.

It is an art.

Politics isn't a science either. The only thing it's about is perception, and there is a term for seeing what we want to see.

Pareidolia.

Scientific polling is an oxymoron.

Substitute "perception" with "deception" and I agree!

My 17 year old daughter is considering minoring in Political Science! I asked her, "Why? Do you want to learn how to lie to people so that they will believe in what you do?"!

Nothing scientific about politics what so ever! Unless of course learning how to manipulate others so that you have power over them is now a science?
edit on 12-11-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
ETA: Sorry Grambler, I'm a little off-topic.

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: eisegesis

Disinformation campaigns are a serious concern of yours? The Billionaire's Brain Hackers

They should be to all ATS alumni and new membership. I used to come here to escape it, now I have to weed through pages of ignorance just to find a single needle of truth.

Speaking of disinformation...

Human Rights Watch Conducted a Biased Investigation for the School “Bombing” in Idlib

It should be noted that, based on HRW’s report, the Western media went off blaming Assad and his allies for murdering civilians. The artificial information hysteria even forced UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to make a hasty loud statement on military crimes in Idlib.

Human Rights Watch blamed Assad for bombing a school and cooked up a bogus report. Western media then helped manipulate the perception of Americans by using the report, attempting to garner support for more death and destruction.

Civilians constantly die under Obama's orders and any mishap gets pinned back on the "enemy" by the mainstream propaganda media. Nobody is even certain if the bombing took place when it was said to have or if anyone even died.

It’s not a secret that since Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (former Jabhat al-Nusra) came to Idlib province, local schools stopped functioning.

Speaking of propaganda, keep an eye on these guys...

edit on 12-11-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

gotcha,
it`s a case of everyone thinking, "MY congressman is ok it`s the rest of them that suck"

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: Teikiatsu

gotcha,
it`s a case of everyone thinking, "MY congressman is ok it`s the rest of them that suck"

Precisely

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Reply to: Grambler

Well I wish I'd have put a wager on the last 4 big ones

# The Scottish referendum

# The UK general election

# Brixit

# The US election

Forget the polls .... I got all 4 right could have cleaned up.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Here's a question for you. If the people collectively believe that Obama is a more popular president than he actually is, doesn't it in some sense actually become true?

By continuously inundating the public zeitgeist with the proper stimuli it is very easy to manufacture a consensus.

We've got people out there actually crying over this election.. not because Trump won.. but because Hillary lost. People that in all actuality truly believe that Hillary has been a champion of justice for her whole life. Because that is the message that will be continuously repeated again and again until it sticks. She was cheated of her imminent victory that she was so deserving of and some celebrity moron were crying over this.

Someone believing that the person least deserving of the job is actually the most deserving of it.

Tell the people that Obama is a really popular president and it will at the very least influence their perception of how much they think other people might like Obama.. And I'm back to my first point. At what point does Obama actually become more popular because of this?

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadMoonJester
Here's a question for you. If the people collectively believe that Obama is a more popular president than he actually is, doesn't it in some sense actually become true?

By continuously inundating the public zeitgeist with the proper stimuli it is very easy to manufacture a consensus.

Tell the people that Obama is a really popular president and it will at the very least influence their perception of how much they think other people might like Obama.. And I'm back to my first point. At what point does Obama actually become more popular because of this?

That is making the assumption that the majority of people are vacuous and mindless

unable to come to any decision on their own? Needing inundating and stimuli to

reach conclusions!!

I dont think so
I think you under estimate the public as has happened

with the Clinton's, the EU and come next year the present leaders of France and

Germany.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

The majority of people are vacuous and mindless.

Their view of things are shallow and they prefer to not pursue the depths of issues.

You're gonna use the current outrage as proof of this not being true? What? It only took about 20 years or more for a PORTION of the public to wake up to a PORTION of the lies, and that only after decade after decade of relentless corruption and endless lies. If a portion of the public didn'twake up after this world class exhibition in corruption they would literally be brain dead. They ignore evidence of this repeatedly time after time again even when the evidence they are presented with is incontrovertible and overwhelming. People couldn't have been slower in accepting these truths, people that are actually awake have been screaming in their ears for years and years and still only a minor portion of the populace have been awakened to a minor portion of the truth.

They want cookies for this? Pfft, they deserve tyranny and tyranny they will get because in many cases they haven't been ignoring this because they are too stupid to understand it, they have been ignoring it because they are TOO GOD DAMNED LAZY, ENTITLED AND COWARDLY TO WANT TO DEAL WITH IT. They have their creature comforts and that is all they care about, they are selfish cowards and that's it. They don't care, that's for the next generation to deal with. I have had cowards say this to me on this very site. They will leave these problems to their children. These people deserve tyranny.. they deserve everything they will get because they have made their beds and they have repeatedly ignored the warnings of the vigilant. Even worse, they have actively ridiculed and attacked these people. If someone ever deserved to go to hell it would be these people, they are the absolute worst and if they ended up in concentration camps they would all deserve it because after all that is the choice they have made.

You think they are awake? You think this is it? Sorry pal, it's too late. They've ruined our societies with their choices and now disaster is our only choice.

If you were really right about this then the public would not believe what they are told to believe but when you analyse the beliefs of the populace you will see that it goes hand in hand with what they have been told by the mainstream media and their government institutions.

So yes, they are mindless and completely filled with the thoughts of other people, chiefly the thoughts and ideas that their rulers have been disseminating to them through their propaganda networks.

Sure they can come to conclusions on their own, but the conclusions they come to are most often one out of a series of conclusions that they are being presented with.. and politically this is most often one out of TWO choices. Left or right, the vast majority will pick either of these two conclusions they are presented with. They are completely caught up in this false dichotomy so no they are not awake, not even a little bit. They are about as clueless as they can be.

It's not that they need stimuli to reach conclusions, it's that they haven't ever in their life even operated without or outside of this stimuli.. it has always been there ever since they were born so how can you even start to pretend that they wouldn't give in to this pressure when it has always been there? When it is all that they've ever known? Never have they been without this stimuli. As soon as they are intelligent enough to understand things it will be there and they will be exposed to it, even before they're intelligent enough to make any sense of it. Most people hold automatic beliefs that they haven't ever even really questioned. They hold the default opinion and view of things.

Humanity is clueless, always caught in a mental cage of their own making.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join