It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baked Pumpkin Seeds, reminds me of Halloween and Fall Do you have any favorites?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

True, when things go side ways, it's very important to have a warm house and a full belly. And this may mean for many months, you may have to go without a store being stocked or any electrical service.

I hate to think what would happen if things went real bad. We can only do what we can.
edit on 12-11-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Are there any fall/Halloween flavors or drinks that bring the season to life for you and/or your family?

I love this time of year as well. I suppose cinnamon stands out to me as being a 'flavor' this time of year. Anything apple takes me right back to childhood.

Being born in the north and raised more southerly...when I wound up in Florida for a big part of my life, I missed the change in seasons. I found some Mexican basil that I planted everywhere and even kept indoors.

You would only need to touch it to release its fragrance. It smells of cinnamon.

There is also a spice blend called 'montreal chicken'. I have put that on a chicken before roasting and it envelopes the house in the bouquet of fall/thanksgiving.

Fresh deer meat being brought to me by the best friends in the whole world is another sign/flavor of fall.

edit on 12-11-2016 by TNMockingbird because: uh, love only has one 'o'

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Never hard of Mex basil, sounds wonderful. I am envious of your veggys down in Florida, they have to be pretty nice. Up here in Mich they can get a little dusty mid winter.

I grow my own toms, peppers, sunflowers, and this year I grew dill, fennel and horse radish. Fennel is like black licorice. It's real nice to eat when mowing the lawn, if you like that flavor. It is also nice to soak in vodka and it flavors it like black licorice, it is great too sip.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Never hard of Mex basil, sounds wonderful. I am envious of your veggys down in Florida, they have to be pretty nice. Up here in Mich they can get a little dusty mid winter.
I grow my own toms, peppers, sunflowers, and this year I grew dill, fennel and horse radish. Fennel is like black licorice. It's real nice to eat when mowing the lawn, if you like that flavor. It is also nice to soak in vodka and it flavors it like black licorice, it is great too sip.

I'm not a fan of fennel or licorice but, your drink recipe sounds as if it could be useful especially during cold/flu season.

When I lived in Florida, gardening was nearly a year round project. We did have to amend the soil/sand quite a bit. Here in Tennessee, where I am currently, you can almost drop something on the ground or in a bed and it will sprout. Tommy Toe Tomatoes multiply like crazy and you can be overrun in a flower bed rather quickly. It's a good thing though. I have had many volunteer veggies come up in the spring and it's a nice surprise.

I thought of another fragrance that just takes me to fall and it is brandy and I suppose bourbon also. I like your thread, thanks for responding.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

In Florida did Tomatoes die in the cold or winter season? I saw a show on aqua farming with fish and no soil in a green house, and they had a tomato plant that was 2 1/2 years old. It ran the length of the green house, amazing.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

In Florida did Tomatoes die in the cold or winter season? I saw a show on aqua farming with fish and no soil in a green house, and they had a tomato plant that was 2 1/2 years old. It ran the length of the green house, amazing.

Hydroponics? I think it's called that anyway. I always wondered if the vegetable didn't have as much flavor as one grown in dirt.

Tomatoes died out in the winter although, the growing season is obviously much longer.

When I lived in West Palm/Ft. Lauderdale area, I met a man who had a greenhouse (massive in scale) and he grew all sorts of things all year long in Florida. Temperature and humidity controlled. He could have grown most things outdoors almost all year.

(apologies for detouring your thread with my homesick ramblings)

I was fascinated by his flowers and non edible plants. He had some types of Spiderwort/Dayflower that wrapped around the house.
edit on 13-11-2016 by TNMockingbird because: ()

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Pumpkin ravioli.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Seems like the fruit and veggy's would taste different, I have, as far as I know, never had any hydro veggy's. Everything is dead already hear in the great white north. Frost hit the plants already, but it also put the grass in winter mode, no more mowing

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Seems like the fruit and veggy's would taste different, I have, as far as I know, never had any hydro veggy's. Everything is dead already hear in the great white north. Frost hit the plants already, but it also put the grass in winter mode, no more mowing

YAY on the grass mowing although they are some of the few uninterrupted minutes in a day.

I've not eaten any 'hydroponic' veggies either.

It is still warm here in the middle of TN. It's a little unusual and makes getting in the mood for the holidays even that more difficult in my opinion (although I'm not fond of cold weather).

I suppose there is one silver lining to the global warming cloud.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join