It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sore Winners: We all MUST do better

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

The rhetoric is getting bad. I just figure I'll give what I get.

Want polite discourse? Be polite.

Being polite doesn't mean you agree or accept the opposing side.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Well I agree with you there. At some point someone needs to rise above the s-storm and end the war of words.

I will do my very best to be one of those.

Please check out my thread on the power of forgiveness.. I'd say it's something we all should consider.

To quote a great man:

Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love. -MLK

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
That is not how you deal with the opposition in politics.

After you beat them, you don't just play nice and get along, the left doesn't play nice and gets along after they win. You have to keep beating them, and beating them, you have to beat them so much they like getting beat. This isn't a football game, this is about deciding the future of the country, the opposition's policies cannot be tolerated and keeping them demoralized and away from the polls is of utmost importance. Remember what is at stake folks!

No. Just no.

I am remembering what is at stake. But I'm not looking at this through the smoke and mirrors of the left-right paradigm. Rather, the divide-and-conquer tactic.

Nor did anyone say "to just play nice and get along." We fight our battles when, where and how appropriate... and we choose our battles carefully. But more important now than ever, we also find common ground, work together, find new solutions for these tired old problems, and create new opportunities for everyone in every way.

But none of us have all the answers. None of us can know everything, much less in this world where the truth is often criminal. Each and every one of us has been played one way or another. But we are not the problem. The problem is those who are exploiting their positions of power, benefiting the few (including themselves) at the expense of the many -- most of us! "Demoralizing" our opponents only serves their purposes.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Boadicea

Being referred to as racist, sexist, xenophobic, basically 'deplorable" from those who still bear the marks of the electoral beating doesn't make things nice around here. But I'm getting used to it.

No, it doesn't. Here's hoping that changes soon.

I am just thankful that we did win or else their reign of terror would have been sanctioned and far worse.

I fear you're right, in many ways.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The rhetoric is getting bad. I just figure I'll give what I get.

It is bad. But giving in kind just perpetuates the divide-and-conquer and takes valuable time and energy away from working on real solutions for real problems. Walk away from that crap and give your time and energy to something that really matters.

Fair enough -- engage those folks! It's a win-win: more positive and productive discussion and less negative and destructive discussion.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

"Politics is war without bloodshed" - Mao Zedong.

Of course you would disagree, after an utter defeat, but we will not relent and allow the left to regroup.

I'm not proposing people be sore winners, that breeds arrogance. Let's all just face reality, there is no getting along between two diametrically opposed viewpoints.

If Trump succeeds at being a great president, the DNC is finished and will go the way of the Whigs. That is the new objective now.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: underwerks

I would be really happy to quietly sit back and watch things happen, as we don't have anymore say in this than the voting we just did. But in all honesty, the smug, arrogant, assholeish way some lefties are acting, brings out the vindictive side of me that really wants to smack them in the face with a dead fish. I know it's not healthy, or the right way to act, but damnit, being a democrat doesn't make you any smarter, or better than anyone else, it just makes you a democrat.

And the tears and seeking of safe spaces just aids in all the divide and keeping "them" over there and "us" over here.

When everyone wants to be a cohesive part of the United States again, it will be a good day.

I've been laughing at Donald Trump's idiocy since the Howard Stern show. Don't expect it to end anytime soon.

That's what you have to deal with when you elect a reality tv star as your president.

this has nothing to do with Trump. Most on the right would have preferred a better choice, but these are the cards we were dealt. Now, about the smug, arrogance......

This has everything to do with Trump. If it was any other candidate (besides Sarah Palin) I wouldn't be saying anything. I'd accept it and move on. As would a lot of other people.

Trump is the definition of smug and arrogant. In the zeal to be anti Hillary conservatives picked the only candidate that no one will take seriously except his own followers. Get ready for 4 years of laughing at Trump and his party.

After being talked down to by conservatives for years, I for one, am really going to enjoy it.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
a reply to: redhorse

"Politics is war without bloodshed" - Mao Zedong.

And winning the peace is just as important as winning the war.

Of course you would disagree, after an utter defeat, but we will not relent and allow the left to regroup.

I actually agree that it's a good thing not to let the destructive forces regroup; but I would also posit that in order to do so we must help others to regroup -- those with good will and a spirit of cooperation and teamwork. The best way to defeat an enemy is to turn him into a friend.

I'm not proposing people be sore winners, that breeds arrogance.

Yes! Thank you.

Let's all just face reality, there is no getting along between two diametrically opposed viewpoints.

Of course not... but there is much common ground with some on the left in Trump's policies and positions. Not everyone is diametrically opposed -- whether they know it or not! And those are who we must work with to take the power and control from the more extreme.

If Trump succeeds at being a great president, the DNC is finished and will go the way of the Whigs.

If Trump is successful at being a great prez, so will the GOP!

That is the new objective now.

That's only half of my objective...

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

well, with an attitude like you, you deserve everything you get. I'd rather have a strong country and economy. But you can live with the hate and fear and let it eat you up inside. I am sure you will be a fine person to spend time with over the next 4 years.

ETA:I bet you watch a lot of CNN.
edit on 12-11-2016 by network dude because: added thought

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

In the zeal to be anti Hillary conservatives picked the only candidate that no one will take seriously except his own followers.

I profoundly disagree. There were far too many candidates from the GOP but no good candidates from the GOP. Too many stuck with Ted Cruz for too long. I think many voted for Trump in the primaries as a protest vote of sorts, unable to vote for another Bush nor Ted Cruz nor anyone else, never thinking he would actually get the nomination. And it didn't help that so many mainstream sources treated his early campaign as a literal joke. In other words, I think his nomination was a comedy of errors.

And just like Trump grew into the position of a nominee and people soon began to take him seriously (though, obviously, not enough), the same will happen as he assumes the reins of the presidency. There really is no other practical choice. Like it or not, he will be president and will yield what power that gives him.

Get ready for 4 years of laughing at Trump and his party.

I already am. But I am also ready for better people to seize the opportunity to do better.

After being talked down to by conservatives for years, I for one, am really going to enjoy it.

I'm really sad that's your highest priority and aspiration.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Good luck, OP, I tried in the General Chitchat forum early the following morning.

Post-Election Sportsmanship

Now that we're entering the morning after, I'd like to not so much implore you (though I am tempted) to return to civility among ourselves, but remind folks that both good winners and good losers practice that already. There's no need to rub any win or loss in anyone's face.
Those who lost can graciously bow their heads in acknowledgement, and those who have won can sympathize a loss with the same. It is mere manners, not a competition. It keeps the bubbling animosity & acrimony in check.

I'm not surprised the thread only got 2 replies. The last few days have shown us that sore winners are going to ruin the afterglow deliberately. They don't see it as shooting themselves in the foot -- as they should -- but rather, getting as even. What a childish way to "win".
edit on 11/12/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I'd rather have a strong country and economy.

I just wanted to see that repeated.

Thanks for saying it!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

the way i see it, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
if they keep on taking shots and calling people names.

rub it in, rub it in, let it get under their skin, rub it in, rub it in.

like sherrif david clark says people get tired of having their nose rubbed in something. if they stop others will stop.

besides best i can tell my candidate Limberbutt McCubbins didn't even get any votes.

i'm just glad hillary lost.

edit on 12-11-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Good luck, OP, I tried in the General Chitchat forum early the following morning.

I'm not surprised the thread only got 2 replies. The last few days have shown us that sore winners are going to ruin the afterglow deliberately. They don't see it as shooting themselves in the foot -- as they should -- but rather, getting as even. What a childish way to "win".

Thanks for sharing it that -- I missed it the first time so I appreciate you sharing it now. And it's beautifully said. Well worth the read. (Much better than mine in fact).

I hope you're as heartened as I that we do have fellow ATSers who want to do better. It's a good start at least. And hopefully contagious.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

well, with an attitude like you, you deserve everything you get. I'd rather have a strong country and economy. But you can live with the hate and fear and let it eat you up inside. I am sure you will be a fine person to spend time with over the next 4 years.

ETA:I bet you watch a lot of CNN.

I'm not hating or fearing anything. I'm laughing.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

the way i see it, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

But it wasn't good for the goose and it isn't good for gander!

if they keep on taking shots and calling people names.

People are going to do what they're going to do. You choose for yourself -- can't blame nor justify your choices on others. I'm sure your mama taught you all about not jumping off the bridge because someone else did...

...people get tired of having their nose rubbed in something. if they stop orhers will stop.

Exactly! So stop!!!

besides best i can tell my candidate Limberbutt McCubbins didn't even get any votes.

Well, darn. I might have voted for him. Instead I voted for the Libertarian Party -- not Johnson, but the party, trying to get them over that 5%.

i'm just glad hillary lost.

Me too.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: Nyiah

Thanks for sharing it that -- I missed it the first time so I appreciate you sharing it now. And it's beautifully said. Well worth the read. (Much better than mine in fact).

I hope you're as heartened as I that we do have fellow ATSers who want to do better. It's a good start at least. And hopefully contagious.

I am, but I'm also equally disheartened at the same time. So many posters making a mockery of themselves trying to mock their opponents that I kinda wish Meteor 2016 had shown up for a surprise win, lol.
edit on 11/12/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yeah, that's sad. Apparently some people don't realize that when you wallow in the mud with pigs, eventually no one can tell you apart. It's harsh, but that's what it comes down to.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

In the zeal to be anti Hillary conservatives picked the only candidate that no one will take seriously except his own followers.

I profoundly disagree. There were far too many candidates from the GOP but no good candidates from the GOP. Too many stuck with Ted Cruz for too long. I think many voted for Trump in the primaries as a protest vote of sorts, unable to vote for another Bush nor Ted Cruz nor anyone else, never thinking he would actually get the nomination. And it didn't help that so many mainstream sources treated his early campaign as a literal joke. In other words, I think his nomination was a comedy of errors.

And just like Trump grew into the position of a nominee and people soon began to take him seriously (though, obviously, not enough), the same will happen as he assumes the reins of the presidency. There really is no other practical choice. Like it or not, he will be president and will yield what power that gives him.

Get ready for 4 years of laughing at Trump and his party.

I already am. But I am also ready for better people to seize the opportunity to do better.

I'm really sad that's your highest priority and aspiration.

I wouldn't call it a high priority or aspiration. Just an honest reaction to the joke Trump is.

I don't think there's anything Trump could do to make me respect him after the hate and divisiveness he campaigned on to get into the white house.

We'll see though. But for now, thats my opinion.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I wouldn't call it a high priority or aspiration. Just an honest reaction to the joke Trump is.

I don't think there's anything Trump could do to make me respect him after the hate and divisiveness he campaigned on to get into the white house.

We'll see though. But for now, thats my opinion.

Fair enough. I appreciate that you're at least giving him a chance -- not much of a chance! But the spirit is willing and I appreciate that. It's in Trump's hands now to prove or disprove your expectations...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join