It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: FBI probing Alabama Boy Scout organization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The FBI is investigating an Alabama Boy Scout organization to see if they have padded thier membership roster. This is one of many investigations nationwide regarding this practice. At issue is whether the rosters were padded by non-existent scouts in order to increase funding from such charitable organizations as the United Way or was just an attempt by recruiters to make thier numbers look better.

www.cnn.com
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (AP) -- Boy Scout volunteer Tom Willis knew something was wrong when he saw that 20 youngsters on the list for a scouting program all had the same last name: Doe.

Willis said it appeared someone was listing fake members to boost enrollment, perhaps to bring in more funding from agencies like the United Way or to make paid Boy Scout recruiters look better.

"It was just so blatant. They didn't even try to make up names," said Willis, a dentist from Decatur and a former Eagle Scout who serves on the board of the Greater Alabama Boy Scout Council, which runs scouting programs in northeastern Alabama.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Oh my have the Boy Scouts fallen from grace. As an Eagle Scout I can attest that the outdoor skill and leadership learned from the scouts have payed huge dividends in many facets of my life. However, Scouts, much like the church in many ways has failed to adapt to the changing world and the new realities of kids today. The lessons and skills are still relevant and important, but they simply are too set in thier ways and too old fashioned to change.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This is bad!

For an organization to teach honesty and integrity, this may be a mark that will be hard to shed if found guilty!

Beside the point, the Boy Scouts is still a top notch organization that all young boys should be a part of!

Values are learned there that they'll carry with them for the rest of their lives!

I just hope whoever is involved with tarnishing the Boy Scouts image is severely punished! IMHO!

[edit on 25/1/05 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This gives me pause when considering a charitable donation to the United Way.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Boy scouts is still a very good group...
just one bad egg doesn't mean you throw away the chicken...

congrats FredT... eagle is a fine distinction...
I hope it always remains so...

top topics

join