It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK driving offences people often commit without realising

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This was published in my local online newspaper.

1) Drivers must only flash their headlights to let other road users know they are there - not to convey other messages or intimidate people.

2) Your car horn must not be used when your vehicle is stationary - except when another vehicle poses a danger.

3) It is illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device, when stopped at traffic lights or queueing in traffic.

4) Drivers must not park on a road at night, facing against the flow of traffic, unless in a dedicated space.

5) A rear-facing baby seat must not be used in a seat with an activated front airbag.

6) Vehicles towing a caravan or trailer on a motorway must not exceed 60mph.

7) Drivers must not stop to set down and pick up passengers on school entrance markings.

8) Children must use a car seat suitable for their weight, up until their 12th birthday, or until they reach 135cm tall - whichever comes first.

9) It is illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device when supervising a learner driver or rider.

10) On roads with more than one lane, you must stay in the left hand lane unless overtaking, or turning right.

11) You must not drive on a pavement, footpath or bridleway, unless gaining access to a property, or in an emergency.

12) Drivers must not throw anything out of a vehicle, including food and cigarette ends.

13) You must not wait on single yellow lines, during the times stated.

14) Drivers must not stop or park within ten metres of a junction, unless in an authorised space.

15) It is illegal to change your name and address and not tell the DVLA.

16) New drivers must not get six penalty points on their licence within two years of passing their test. Those that do must take their theory and practical test again.

17) It is illegal to not tell the DVLA of a medical condition, or disability, such as epilepsy, strokes, neurological and mental health conditions, physical disabilities and visual impairments.

The only one I have broken is number 1. I do tend to flash my lights to give another vehicle right of way eg they are waiting to pull out of a side street.

edit on 12-11-2016 by Morrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Ref number 2: I break the law everyday then. As part of my vehicle checks prior to starting my shift i have to check the horn is operational.

Guilty of number 1 all the time

Guilty of number 12 - Cig Butts (In my vehicle not the works vehicle, i do check for motorcyclists, cyclists, convertables with roof down and pedestrians before i throw) still breaking the law though

All others i'm OK

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Not showing off here but i knew all of those and would like to expand on one a bit that i see everyday and by hordes of people.

"10) On roads with more than one lane, you must stay in the left hand lane unless overtaking, or turning right."

People do this on motorways constantly and it bugs me because it forces traffic to bunch up as undertaking is illegal. This is purely drivers fault for not using the left most lane, sure, but i think we have to cut them a little slack since motorways lanes seem to label each lane, "slow, medium and fast" which is not the case, you can drive at 70mph in any lane (76mph if you play the 6 mph unoffical waver) of course HGVs and towing vehicles are still limited to 60. These "middle laners" cause others to have to merge late when the road steps down a lane size which is totally unfair for the ones caught out by a/many stubborn middle laners.

Im a motorbiker as well as car driver and i think that while i know these rules when somone else doesnt see you they are more likly to break a rule or not realise they are, besides operating a bike being different the experience is VERY different - i just assume im never seen by anyone and over exaggerate manoeuvres to maximise intent. Simply dont have to do that anywhere near as much in a car - ive had both licenses for 15 years, 3 bike crashes and no car crashes, all accidents where errors on the other persons part! of course i might have crashed a car 3 times instead if i where in one instead of a bike, but i think thats rather unlikely.

Actually while im at it i'll go for one more, drivers who swing left in a right line on a two lane roundabout, why do they think its okay to merge into the left lane so they can go round the roundabout a little smoother maybe? I dont know, but ive had many near misses on one particular mini roundabout and it cheeses me off, the horn lets them know somthings not right if they are the only ones there with you - other times they probably think "gosh whata horn hog" not realise if i haddnt breaked they would have side swiped me.

People in the US, you may think this is ranting for rants sake but as our small roads but busier and busier the more important it is to stick to the road rules for safty and traffic management - also its just plain rude of some drivers, like the infamous BMW drivers who dont feel the need to use an indicator (most of those drivers seem to be in audis now!)

edit on b4040847 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I bet number 10 confuses people from a country that shall remain nameless .

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Number 1 about the headlight flash. How else can you tell an oncoming driver, at night, that he's forgotten to turn down their high beams?

Number 6. How are you guys on mph, and not kph? So I looked it up. 60 mph = 96 kph. So they're not allowed on highways that are 110 kph?
edit on 12-11-2016 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

70 is the max speed (unless you are a bmw/audi driver) but going below is fine so long as its not stupid like 15mph. Plenty of other vehicles are technically limited to 60 as well like HGV's do to the extra braking time required.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

You missed the most obvious and constantly broken law by almost every driver, every time they get behind the wheel.

Driving over a set speed limit.

This is probably the greatest cause of accidents on our roads today.

Selfish people who have little patience or consideration for other road users.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad
This was published in my local online newspaper.

12) Drivers must not throw anything out of a vehicle, including food and cigarette ends.

Lol!! Many years ago I was in a traffic jam on a hot summer day, on my left

was a mercedes, with windows open when just before moving off out of the

window was thrown a soiled disposable nappy
shows people who have money

can be dirty people too.

I notice there was nothing relating to 'seat belts' I have been fined for not wearing

one.

I will make a confession here - about 40 years ago I had my licence taken off me for

speeding offences. Being a single parent whose job relied on me driving, I took the

chance and drove for the three months without a licence.

I am not as bad as that makes me sound .... As I had the max amount of penalty

points when I passed a marked police car on a motorway doing exactly 70 mph on

the clock twice. I was pulled in and accused of doing more, when i told him I was

doing exactly 70 mph, he said dont tell me that or i will have you for a faulty speed

ometer as well!! As it happened I had the speedometer checked over and it

was out.

edit on 12-11-2016 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
All of these are common laws, most are common sense. In the U.S. many of these are varied (because the laws differ from state to state). And yes, there is a law in most states where you must remain in the *right lane unless passing (also tractor trailers , motor homes etc... must only drive in right lanes in some states).

12 - the point of not throwing out cig butts has nothing to do with litter or even hitting other motorists, it is about safety and starting fires.

8 - in most states it is 48" tall AND 8 yrs of age

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

6) Vehicles towing a caravan or trailer on a motorway must not exceed 60mph.

I was doing about 95 with a trailer and a canoe on the roof when a VW Beetle with no rear lights pulled off the hard shoulder and into the middle lane in front of me. A canoe on the roof acts like a rudder making steering lighter. I'm less of a speed fiend these days.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
wait...the UK uses miles instead of metric???

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
wait...the UK uses miles instead of metric???

We use real gallons and pints and know certainly how many feet in a yard even today in school.

Want to make a bet on a horse its still in furlongs....wish i could remember half the smaller distances etc but even being born the year we went decimal i know a pound is 20 shillings and each shilling is 12 pence in the good old days. it was a sad day we lost the halfpenny as the price of the cheapest sweets had to go up

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
What's really worse is going around roundabouts with multiple lanes. The lanes are clearly marked on the road yet people think they can just wander or take shortcuts without any consideration of other road users. A couple of times a week I am nearly sideswiped by these "people" and I find the best method is to hang back and let them perform their silly maneuvers. I also ride a motorcycle and was sideswiped on an island by a millionaire rushing to catch his plane back up country. He crossed three lanes and took my front wheel out from under me, now I ride a big 1500 cruiser and I am large myself yet he said he never saw me. With witnesses he was shown to be in the wrong totally, yet he would not stump up the costs for over a year.
I really blame the police for that because they only sent him on a safety awareness course and in doing so he was not proven in court to be guilty therefore losing the leverage to force him to pay his obligations.
edit on 12-11-2016 by crayzeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria

We use real gallons and pints and know certainly how many feet in a yard even today in school.

Want to make a bet on a horse its still in furlongs....wish i could remember half the smaller distances etc but even being born the year we went decimal i know a pound is 20 shillings and each shilling is 12 pence in the good old days. it was a sad day we lost the halfpenny as the price of the cheapest sweets had to go up

Lol!! I know how you feel.... I'm still in yards, feet and Inches, and the

guess work that goes on when I try to follow a receipe because I still work in

pounds and ounces!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Yes know them all. The headlight one is broken often to acknowledge others or to signal you're letting them go. I would also hope people know about the car seat and airbags in the front.

top topics

join