It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LARPING! A new code word for something very dark.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Normally when larping is brought up people get visions of uber-nerds with foam swords in some recreational park. Instantly you go into a state of why would i care about some virgins taking their sexual fustrations out in fictional role playing game and you ignore what is written at lest i did!

But recently i saw the term pop up however the people didnt talk about foam swords or dragons and magical armor. These guys are hackers and they kept using the term larping. Larping means Live Action Role Playing and then what they had been taking about hit me.

Larping to a hacker is finding a political target that has a large social media following. Then creating a account that mimics it to draw people who would normally follow that political person they feed them news stories and pictures just as the other person would however with one other detail they put viruses in pictures and docs that allow them access to the new victims computers. However a couple of larpers have gotten ahold of real accounts and put in their viruses giving them access to other politician's accounts when they clicked on the wrong thing maybe some meme about trump being a pumkin for the October suprise.

Something as simple a keylogger gives them access to what the victim type, say for instance a google account password.

Normally this attack is called something else but using the correct term is probably not a good idea so they use larping.

Im not 100 percent sure of this but i think that was the method used agaisnt the dnc and podesta. The whole point isnt to damage or distrupt the victims computer it is to spread itself and gain information.

The operation must have been massive and was titled ragnarok. the information about it is shady and you really have to know what your looking at when you see it so im not 100 percent sure its even real as it could be some script kiddie bs.

Some take it even past that and use their ablity to damage the political supporters by posting stuff as them and using it as ammo agaisnt the party and its followers.

I bet you will never think of larping the same again muahahahaha.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

LOL, I first thought of me playing Vampire the Masquerade in college.

That us interesting. And quite possible. Most good anti virus will stop that. Avira will have a massive fit over nothing sometimes. But if the virus is made that day or it is shockware that isn't protected by every anti virus, it will happen.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Gangrel 4 ever!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

That us interesting. And quite possible. Most good anti virus will stop that. Avira will have a massive fit over nothing sometimes. But if the virus is made that day or it is shockware that isn't protected by every anti virus, it will happen.

Yes but most politicians using their smartphones or home pcs have some crap antivirus most of the time like microtrend or norton thinking they are protected.

All it takes is a couple of days.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh

Gangrel 4 ever!

No! Tremere!

LOL

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: digital01anarchy

Yes but most politicians using their smartphones or home pcs have some crap antivirus most of the time like microtrend or norton thinking they are protected.

All it takes is a couple of days.

Yep.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Gangrel 4 ever!

No! Tremere!

LOL

Brujah or bust.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Hehe, takes me way back.

Figured you'd be Toreador or Malkavian. Tremere makes more sense though.

Anything is better than Ventrue.

On topic, I saw tons of this on the Chan's over the last month or so. You could be on to something, but from a novice perspective, I never really got that malware was involved.

The majority of the Larping I saw was just that. Fantasy sh!tposting about nonsensical happenings. I might have to pay more attention now.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
DP.....
edit on 12-11-2016 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Hehe, takes me way back.

Figured you'd be Toreador or Malkavian. Tremere makes more sense though.

Anything is better than Ventrue.

On topic, I saw tons of this on the Chan's over the last month or so. You could be on to something, but from a novice perspective, I never really got that malware was involved.

The majority of the Larping I saw was just that. Fantasy sh!tposting about nonsensical happenings. I might have to pay more attention now.

Lol novice i have my degree in information security. While i admit it was most likely corporate espionage that caused the leaks it also could be this. all it really takes is a talented programer to write a o day virus to attack an unsecure or non updated computer or Android cell phone. Its a new twist on an old attack namely spoofing.

I dont even use an antivirus on my computer. I run a virtual machine that uses a diffrent operating system then what runs my pc to get on the internet even if i did get infected its a sandbox and will most likely not have the ablility to cross over to my pc and even if it did i have other methods to stop it.

Do i have your attention now!
edit on 12-11-2016 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

The novice perspective is mine..

Why would I be speaking from your point of view?

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Had to sign up to share this closely related info!

I am sure you are right and that it is happening on all sides.
Not all s##t posting, role playing larpers are malicious though - just bored.

I hope it hasn't been posted before as it has to do with CTR(Correct The Record).
From what I can tell this confirms your OP but from the opposite perspective.

Relevant Image

Edit for context:

They used a method called “quantum insert”, to redirect employees to fake websites that contained malware using Man in the middle attack to a spoofed server (codenamed "Fox Acid"), which can respond faster than the real one, is placed somewhere on the Internet backbone.

thehackernews.com...

edit on 12-11-2016 by yunotlsats because: context

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

That is a very common tactic, it has been used from the days of BBS and from the beginning on the Internet (email service).

With the mass advent of social media services it has become very common place, anyone with the basic knowledge on how to connect to the internet and open a we browser has the ability to perform it with no extra skills required, it is pretty much the same as social engineering but a little step above it

Heck some of the accounts accessed could of just been simply people guessing the secret answers to the passwords to reset the persons account security gaining access, it is all too simple and none of it requires "hacking" (aka the use of zero day flaws, the injection of sql code to access a DB, attack with a remote Trojan, a "virus" etc etc).

With a properly configured firewall (software or hardware - I personally still have my 15 year old sun pizzabox server ticking away for that purpose, though it's not an active firewall anymore) antivirus is not required, however it would be incredibly smart to use it in any case regardless of your skill level or any "eliteness" personality that you may have, being so sure and smug of yourself is the key to being fudged over.

Theories are plentiful and so is the likely hood of those theories being incorrect.
edit on 12-11-2016 by MuonToGluon because: SP

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Good thing I don't use social media.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

You just did. It really doesn't matter what section of the spectrum, from the anon boards to here to Twitter and fb, you establish a presence. You share something important. You share insights and observations. Ripples happen.

Where we are in the wave isn't really up to us individually. It is only going to get crazier from here.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I really don't consider ATS to be social media.

I've had this conversation a dozen times on here already so I'll spare the regurgitation.

I refuse to use what one may consider to be mainstream social media. FB, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.

It makes it really hard for my parole officer to find me.

0_o

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Bitly links were used, it's called "Spearfishing", and yest Podesta, the DNC, ant-Russian hacking groups and others were targeted.

It's clear as day that 17 intelligence organizations all have unquestionable proof that Russia has been infiltrating and hacking into American and Western governments and spreading disinformation and lies among their people.

Part of that disinformation and propaganda is programming people to deny it.

If we are truly Americans, truly patriotic and love our country -- we should all be fighting back on our laptops, smartphones and PCs against foreign infiltration of our internet and media.

America for Americans, not Russian oligarchs!

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

You realize we are guilty of that as well, as are many other nations.
I guess it is okay if we are doing it to others though, cause, Merica?

I clicked on this thread hoping to read something from one of our wonderful local religious yahoos about how LARPING is akin to satan worship or... whatever other interesting stuff they say. Always gives me a good laugh.
edit on 13-11-2016 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

The novice perspective is mine..

Why would I be speaking from your point of view?

I could see how one might be confused by the comma placement. It could be read as "you could be onto something but from a novice perspective. I never really got that malware was involved." when really you meant "you could be onto something. But from a novice perspective, i never really got that malware was involved."

top topics

join