It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland OR Protests/Riots 11-12-16

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I live in Portland. I also think people have the right to peaceful protest and assembly....that is not the problem.

The problem is, the huge group of anarchists (mostly kids age 15-25) that reside in the Portland area use these kinds of peaceful protests to f#ck sh@t up. If your face is covered, and you are wielding a baseball bat, you're not peaceful.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: vampira309

Yeah. There's a large "homeless" population that reside downtown. I say "homeless" because a large number of them are kids from Gresham and other outlying neighborhoods that have homes but spend their weekends downtown partying and acting homeless.
How do I know this? Just talk with the shelters. My ex worked at one and was frustrated that the actual homeless kids who wanted services had to compete with these leeches.
And I agree. If you're wearing a mask, wielding a weapon, you're not peacefully protesting. This is all just one huge selfie for them to share in FB.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

I should have put anarchists in "" - because only a very small percentage of them are really that.

You are exactly right, rollanotherone, kids from the suburbs wanting a good selfie.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: vampira309
a reply to: JinMI

I live in Portland. I also think people have the right to peaceful protest and assembly....that is not the problem.

The problem is, the huge group of anarchists (mostly kids age 15-25) that reside in the Portland area use these kinds of peaceful protests to f#ck sh@t up. If your face is covered, and you are wielding a baseball bat, you're not peaceful.

What are they peacefully protesting? There was an election you lost get over it. There's nothing to protest. Unless of course you're protesting democracy.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

They are protesting because their team lost and they are big babies.

Again, I don't care WHAT you're protesting - you can be a group protesting the blueness of the sky for all I care - you should be allowed to do it because it's your right. Do I have to care? No.

If you use peaceful assembly as a reason start breaking people's sh!t , THEN I care.
edit on vpm11p21Sat, 12 Nov 2016 14:21:02 -0600pm309 by vampira309 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Abysha

Awesome. Looking forward to an actual on the ground update, thank you Abysha!

Ps. Still waiting for an explanation in that other thread.

Well it was a weird night, for sure. As I was headed there on my train, the woman I was meeting up with told me she was in the protest so I thought maybe I'd try to join her. Instead, I was stopped by a police barricade and couldn't go further. I took some video but it just mostly shows the riot cops (as soon as I stopped recording, flash bangs went off super close). But I did take a picture of the bar I ducked into right next to the barricade:

When I met up with her, she was across the Burnside bridge at a little punk bar. She told me the story. Apparently she was protesting with everybody else and it was totally peaceful. Then, those effing "anarchists" show up with baseball bats, masks, and dogs on chains. She said that about that time, most of the protesters were like "nah, screw that" and dispersed while the police dealt with the anarchist group and remaining protesters.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Seems to be the commonality. Wonder if they were paid or just looking for an excuse. I know the cameras certainly didn't highlight the peaceful protesters.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Seems to be the commonality. Wonder if they were paid or just looking for an excuse. I know the cameras certainly didn't highlight the peaceful protesters.

I don't know if they are paid but they aren't unique to this scenario. The girl I was with and her friends acted more like "Jesus... these guys again" Makes me think of the Nihilists on Lebowski.

I get the impression they pop up for anything anti-establishment. Or maybe they were paid. Who knows?

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
There was an ad posted on Portland OR craiglist earlier today, it has since been taken down. It was under the gigs section seeking protesters for a 2 night protest.
It was offering to pay people $25 to come protest against trump and trump voters. It would only pay people if 6000 protesters showed up.
They said they would pay them via Vimeo at end of the night.
It said they would be providing the people that came to a specific park at 4pm to register with signs, rocks and spray paint.
These protestors aren't true protesters, they are kids looking to make beer money
Here is the text of the ad I saw today. I've been away from my computer today so this was copied with my phone
CL
portland >
washington co >
gigs >
labor gigs
post account
reply x prohibited[?] Posted 38 minutes ago
◀ prev ▲ next ▶
favorite this post Protestors wanted (Portland) hide this posting

compensation: $25 if crowd reaches 6,000.
Protestors needed for a Trump March/Protest. All are encouraged to come. Pay is a flat $25. You will receive money at the end of the night via Vimeo. Check in will be At Pioneer square. Protestors will not be paid unless the crowd reaches 6,000 people. Rocks, signs, and spray paint will be handed out for free. Please bring bandanas, safety glasses, and backpacks with some snacks. It will be a long night.

Please check in at the protest boothe to receive payment information. All protestors will remain anonymous unless otherwise specified.

Please come down and protest the republicans and their toxic bigoted way of life. All these Trump supporters pose a grave threat to our society. We must protests these racists and their fascism in order to have a better tomorrow. Let's make a stand and show the nation #LoveTrumpsHate!

Please email if you have any questions. You must check in by 4pm today. This will go on for two days. We would like to block the freeway and disrupt everything we can to make sure the nation hears us loud and clear, Portland!
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 5873119594 posted: 38 minutes ago email to friend ♥ best of [?]

edit on 12-11-2016 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
They do seem to show up at every possible event - remember the occupy people? Where DO they all come from?

I know lots of the crusties that really do fancy themselves anarchists, and I don't see any of them out there breaking sh!it.

I did see a friend of a friend (who is part of the Pyrate Punx movement) got arrested last night, but that was likely just because he hates the police.

It also appears that all of the local Portland news stations have stopped covering the violence. Wonder why?
edit on vpm11p45Sat, 12 Nov 2016 22:45:24 -0600pm309 by vampira309 because: added info

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join