It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UK Hindus fight to reclaim swastika from Nazis

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I was going to shut up for the night, but I think the problem here is "wearing" a swastika.

In Hinduism and other eastern religions, swastiks are not used to decorate articles of clothing. They are used in home decorations, rangolis on diwali, for puja's that kind of thing.

I personally won't ever be wearing a swastik, but I would like the right to decorate my walkway in a rangoli pattern featuring a swastik to bring prosperity and luck into my home. I also would like to keep the image of Ganesh with a swastik in his hand in a prominent place in my home.

But the biggest problem I seem to have with this is that not many want to acknowledge the difference between the swastiks.

You can ban the 45 degree swastik with it's red, black and white background, but don't tell me that all swastiks are banned. WHAT Then? Will Hindus have to alter all their religious images and statues? Should we deface all antiquities that feature the swastik? There has to be a boundary and limit set to this. Banning all swastik solves nothing as NetChicken stated the Nazis who are still around have adopted new symbols like the rune of Odin for one example.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Worldwatcher, I found out from the deletion of the thread I started to support the Swastika and educate people, that most people want to embrace ignorance. It is sad, but it is society, and this is what they want. That is the drawbacks of living in a primitive society. Ah well, there is always reincarnation in the "sat-yuga"

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
In Hinduism and other eastern religions, swastiks are not used to decorate articles of clothing. They are used in home decorations, rangolis on diwali, for puja's that kind of thing.

Its also been put on clothing and costumes in various cultures. Most everyone is edumacated by t-shirts now adays anyway, so it'd be the soonest way to promote it.

Think of a hindu/buddhist whatever student in a highschool going to school with a big black unexplained swastik t-shirt (perhaps not a tilted one in a white circle one a red field). "Remove it? Only when the christians take off their crosses and the jews aren't permited to wear their hats". That would be a ruckus, a media event, and a court case.

I personally won't ever be wearing a swastik,

Why not, could get some of the girls from your avatars to put out a calender while they wear one. Yeesh, imagine the skinheads shock when they order their "Swastik Babes" calender and open it up!
"But it said 'Real Aryan Hotties' in the ad!?"

but I would like the right to decorate my walkway in a rangoli pattern featuring a swastik to bring prosperity and luck into my home.

Obviously you have that right.

You can ban the 45 degree swastik with it's red, black and white background, but don't tell me that all swastiks are banned.

Why ban the nazi one? In europe, they ban ideolgies, but not in the US. Not since the red scare anyway.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
@ WW

I understand your pain.

Just some thoughts:

To the millions who suffered in World War II, the Swastika is a loathed emblem of hatred, racism and xenophobia. One could say : „This is Nazi-past and the Nazis stole the emblem“

But please, think it over.

Britain's prince Harry provoked international outrage by wearing a Swastika armband at a party – Was it because the world thought the armband was a symbol of luck ?

This is NOT the „Nazi-past“. This is the (Neo-) NAZI - PRESENT:

A BURNING swastika was found on a grave in a Jewish cemetery in southern Sweden just hours after world leaders commemorated the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz.

This is also NOW - not the "Nazi-past"

(Source: Global Anti-Semitism: Selected Incidents Around the World in 2004)

The Nazis and the Neo-Nazis still use the Swastika exact the same way they used it 1933-1945: As an emblem of hatred, racism and xenophobia.

In my personal opinion, what the Nazis did with the Swastika, could be compared to Tschernobyl:

The "1,000 Year Nazi-Reich" contaminated the Swastika. It is still an emblem of hatred, racism and xenophobia and it will need another 1,000 years for the swastika - without (Neo-)Nazi missusage - to be seen in the world only for its original meaning.

Rebekka

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join