It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The FCC Deny Complaints

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Link

"A majority of U.S. communications regulators have voted to deny viewer complaints that ABC television stations violated indecency rules when they aired the movie "Saving Private Ryan" last November, an FCC official said Monday."

What bothers me about this is that the FCC is so tough on sex, like Janet Jackson for instance. That was what seeing 4 or 8 seconds of something natural? The hypocrisy that the FCC lets violence like this go by is sad. While I do not mind sex, violence, or profanity the fact that the FCC is somewhat one-sided is appalling.

[edit on 1-25-2005 by JediMaster]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
People are funny.

You can kill thousands of people in a war for a mistake and not have to make a single apology, but if you show a single pasty covered titty you hear howls from every direction.

People have a very strange attitude towards sex. It takes on huge proportions in their minds. Lewitsky, what do i care about an of age intern does with the president? That is for his wife and family to deal with.

So instead we end up with some lying religiously deranged moron instead. Go figure. Democratic goverment does not equal intelligent govenment.

Killing and butchering people in war is acceptable for almost any reason. It even seems to make people feel good. Sex seems to make people uncomfortable.

I suppose on a biological level maybe it makes sense. Exchanging fluids is risky. Chopping someone up is much less risky to the chopper.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
American TV censorship is a joke. In Canada laws are much more lenient. What’s wrong with showing violence during prime time? If you can’t handle seeing what war is really like then don’t watch. I also can’t believe all the fuss over that pre-game NFL introduction.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Hell, when on vacation in northern michigan got CTV, they have sopranos, The Osbournes, so forth, unedited. It is regular tv like abc or cbs, unedited. Tits, ass, or with Ozzy, no bleeps, all words are said. It was great! Watching tv and actually hearing/seeing things that according to the fcc are evil and corrupt the people.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Jerry Springer at three o'clock when your kids get home is fine, but flag draped coffins are not. Go figure. The only reason Saving Private Ryan caught so much flack is because it conveys the basic message that "Hey, War Kinda Sucks." and we can't have folks thinking that when they are selling war left and right. It's marketing, really, the self same concepts just on a really broad spectrum of public opinion rather than a retailers shelf. They are selling a product, if you buy it, they profit from it.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
is it possible that perhaps saving private ryan can seen as a somewhat documentary and it's historical context are to a sense, accurate? I believe that there's a difference between nudity and history. Where as the janet jackson incident was considered as a mainstream and social event, saving private ryan is considered a historical and american themed movie. Take for instance the showing of schindler's list, which portrays both nudity and violence on national syndicated television. compare schindlers list and saving private ryan, now, compare schindlers list with the janet jackson incident, it's two very separate meanings and context.

top topics

join