It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good news story (or how people can make a difference sometimes)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
As I was browsing Reddit today a story came across the front page which piqued my interest. The title itself was fairly innocuous but for some reason the amount of replies it had received was out of proportion to what I thought was simply another human interest thread.

The story concerned a video made by a middle-aged YouTuber named NearlySeniorCitizen Yetagamer. This YouTuber is a 50 something military veteran who has had some bad luck in his life. His wife died and he never really seems to have got over that. He suffers from Fibromyalgia (like my mum) and uses medical marijuana to aid with pain management, he is a recovering alcoholic, he is living in a small room with no room for a bed and loves his hamsters.

He makes reaction videos and just generally chats about life, his ideas and stuff like that.

Let's look at the video which caused all the hoopla, shall we? (Warning: May cause tears)

Some of the reactions in the thread included:

Just watched one of his old Q&A videos - He said he loved to play Roleplay games, pen and paper games (like D&D I assume?) but hasn't for a long time because he doesn't know anybody. It would be awesome if a local D&D (or similar) group would invite him to play some time?

I live in Olympia (20-30 min away from his Po box) and have friends who play. I'm on it. Edit: Friend of a friend is also a veteran who loves DnD... we're going to try and facilitate something this week once I get the contact info for him. I've also emailed a local card and comic shop that has nightly board game events.

From the practical to the emotional:

This poor man, he really makes me realize how lonely it can be when you get older. I'm gonna call my grandma tomorrow and chat with her. I hope this gets attention or gets re-posted when more people are online.

I'm a 220-pound ex-Marine and this video turned me into a blubbering baby. I just buried my best friend of eighteen years, a beagle who was there for me since I was a little kid. Watching this guy cry made me completely lose it. I gave him some money. Please give him some money

Here is his reaction to a KPop video. A KPop video, right?

His reactions are so honest and he is so open minded he just opened the hearts of thousands of people.

So here is the Reddit thread, have a read, trust me, some of the comments are pure gold.

This older man makes honest and enjoyable reaction videos everyday. But he can't even afford a bed to sleep on and is confined in one room with only his hampsters to keep him company. Today one died, and I'm hoping Reddit can give him some support!

The result: Right now his patreon is up to something beyond $42,000 and he has promises of new beds, new friends, company to keep and all the cards and keychains in the world.

Why did I share this? Well as soon as I read the thread I realised that this acted as some kind of catharsis for a hell of a lot of people who are just so damned pissed of with the world today. Brits with Brexit, Americans with the election, the world with terrorism, war and banks...

I wanted to make you feel better, I hope I helped.

Be well people

edit on 11-11-2016 by Jonjonj because: edited to edit something

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

That is absolutely lovely. Thank you, for giving us something to smile about. I'm really glad he's getting a bed. I didn't have a bed either, for almost two years. I am grateful that I have one now, and my heart goes out to others who are struggling. It seems like such a basic thing most people take for granted, a place to lie down at night. But there are a lot of people out there no one hears about, wishing they had that luxury. Good for him, he's not alone out there now and has the support of a lot of awesome people.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

The things we take for granted hey? There is a saying "There but for the grace of god go I". I am not religious though, but that saying has always resonated with me.

I am glad you found your bed.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Nobody cared about this story. It makes me sad. I wish some of you guys had actually dug into this, if only to have a real feel good story to end your day with.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
Nobody cared about this story. It makes me sad. I wish some of you guys had actually dug into this, if only to have a real feel good story to end your day with.

I care!!!!! The outpouring of love and support for this gentle soul really touched me. It shows another side of mankind and his potential for love and goodness instead of all the pettiness and evil that lurks in the shadows at every turn.

Thank you!

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

That was nice.

Where I live, I'm part of a movement to have local businesses 'adopt" elderly folks who may need simple things or just who are lonely.

It really brings a sense of community.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That is so awesome!!!!!! So many elderly people are lonely, even those who still have family around, but they rarely even visit.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

We do things like install rails in tubs and around toilets, little things like boxes of light bulbs and having volunteers change lights or move boxes or furniture or mow lawns.

No major funding, no government programs, no taxes. . . . just small things that make life a little better for our neighbors.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Those 'small' things can make a big difference in their lives! Kudos!

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I appreciate your interest SweetStar. It honestly is just a demonstration of what we can be, rather than what we so often are.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

That was nice.

Where I live, I'm part of a movement to have local businesses 'adopt" elderly folks who may need simple things or just who are lonely.

It really brings a sense of community.

You are exactly the kind of person who would make this world a better place. And I appreciate your being who you are.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

a fragile lonely man in grief
if i had Gods Grace i would reunite him
with his wife

that loneliness kills the soul
you just want to move on
forward onto the ones you lost

top topics

join