It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britons tortured for three years rearrested

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
dh

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Four Britons held for three years at Guantanamo Bay are arrested on their re-entry into the UK
For questioning - what questions are there left after 3 years interrogation, not least from MI6 agents?
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 25-1-2005 by dh]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well why should the americans have all the fun, time for the british to break out the dogs and whips and get naked with the prisoners!

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well from what I understand, the US released them, but chose not to pass along the exact info about why they were detained in the first place. And because of the Terrorism Act 2000, section 41, just the fact that they were detained by the US authorities is enough grounds to arrest them on suspicion of terrorism.

Four British detainees arrested on return to Britain from Guantanamo Bay

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   

The decision to arrest them on their return was taken by the UK's top police officer, Sir John Stevens, in the face of protests by Muslim groups.

It also says it was expected they would be arrested, but freed because anything uncovered at Gitmo wouldn't be admissable in court.

"I would like to think that they will just let them go, because these people have suffered enough, but we will just have to wait and see," Clive Stafford-Smith, the lawyer representing two of the detainees, said today.

Well, there are many, many people who have suffered quite a bit but I would never let them go free. Many people with those bad childhoods who go on killing sprees and the like.

I'm curious, though. Where is this proof of torture?

A Pentagon statement said there had been extensive talks between Washington and London, with the men's release from Guantánamo coming after the UK "assured the US government that the detainees will not pose a continuing security threat to the United States or its allies".

That's a wierd statement to have to make to the US for someone who's innocent...Sounds like they were being bad little buddies but the Brits wanted them back. Plus, it says in the article they had no intel value at this point.

One of the four, Begg, was arrested in Pakistan by the CIA, if not others. He was the only one mentioned in the article. I'm assuming these people weren't taken in England but rather Pakistan and Afghanistan. Strange place for the innocent to be durring a war...

Mr Abbasi has been diagnosed as suffering from depression

Oh that poor baby...Darn those Americans and their depriving those poor detainees of Prozak!

dh

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It remains that the whole Guantanamo and other places incarceration without charge or trial is a fix on innocent but convenient suspects
It's how it's done
Likely to be repeated over and over on select target groups

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The title to this thread is misleading. The men claimed torture, but that's as far as it's gone. The title implies that they were in fact tortured for the entire three years.

dh

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
The title to this thread is misleading. The men claimed torture, but that's as far as it's gone. The title implies that they were in fact tortured for the entire three years.

OK jsobecky - lets abduct you and transport you to some farflung spot, lets isolate you in a very small space - initially exposed to tropical heat, let's chain you, hood you, transport you on occasion chained to stretcher to be interrogated repeatedly about so-called connections that you don't have, lets give you no hope of ever being released from captivity, lets sleep deprive you, isolate you from even the company of guards and the opportunity for exercise whilst keeping you under video surveillance for a period of 18 months.

You might well feel you've been subjected to endless torture

In fact, unless you get what's going on, you might find yourself submitted to the same in the not-too-distant future

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

four Britons held for three years at Guantanamo Bay are arrested on their re-entry into the UK
For questioning - what questions are there left after 3 years interrogation, not least from MI6 agents?

UPDATE all have now been released

GUANTANAMO BRITONS FREE

Four Britons arrested by anti-terrorist police after being released from Guantanamo Bay have been released without charge.

The men had been held in custody at a high security police station since returning from captivity at the US military base in Cuba for as long as three years.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
lets not get all weepy over the people here and forget who they really are. They were picked up in a Afghanastan / Iraq working to destroy the society you live in. Sorry I don't have much sympathy for them.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Umm can i ask , what proof is there of this?
I mean what actual proof do they have that the brits where helping them there?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ok, these men should have been beaten with night sticks in order to "soften" them up for interrogation. Getting information out of terrorists is perhaps the hardest job on the planet, because these guys are "eager" to die and go to heaven where they will be greeted by "72 virgins". Probably the best way to extract information is to humiliate them by stacking them up nude in the "pyramid formation", sexually harassing and humiliating their "private parts" while forcing them to eat "pig meat" and drink "alcohol" that of course is forbidden in their cultures.

dh

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrRobertCamp
" while forcing them to eat "pig meat" and drink "alcohol" that of course is forbidden in their cultures.

Is this some kind of Camp humor?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I wonder what they'll do with their new found freedom.Pursue successful careers as citizens grateful for a second chance? or return to their activities with certain individuals which got them detained in the 1st place.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vajrayana
I wonder what they'll do with their new found freedom.Pursue successful careers as citizens grateful for a second chance? or return to their activities with certain individuals which got them detained in the 1st place.

My money is on the latter.

dh

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

What you mean - like setting up schools? Like pursuing religious education?
For God's sake, people, the majority of the Guantanamo prisoners are farmers and slipper-makers with no-one to plea on their behalf
We are in an explicitly Nazi situation
Get real

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dh

For God's sake, people, the majority of the Guantanamo prisoners are farmers and slipper-makers with no-one to plea on their behalf
Get real

This is pretty good. Ok, these guys aren't farmers and slipper-makers. They are "terrorists" otherwise they wouldn't have been put in Guatanamo in the first place. You need to get real and stop hiding under the covers hoping that the terrorist threat will go away.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well they have been released totally now, on the news. They can go back to their plans to destroy western civilization as we know it and forcably convert us all to Islam.

dh

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Get real

This is pretty good. Ok, these guys aren't farmers and slipper-makers. They are "terrorists" otherwise they wouldn't have been put in Guatanamo in the first place. You need to get real and stop hiding under the covers hoping that the terrorist threat will go away.

Well, you people are very very weird
You accept that the US Govt is putting people away for the reason it says it is
These are liars and manipulators, in goverement, and Dr Camp you may wave your freak flag high
I know the terrorist threat wont go away because it's firmly entrenched in the governments of the US, allied Western governments, Israel, and the rest of the supplicant governments throughout the world

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dh
OK jsobecky - lets abduct you and transport you to some farflung spot, lets isolate you in a very small space - initially exposed to tropical heat, let's chain you, hood you, transport you on occasion chained to stretcher to be interrogated repeatedly about so-called connections that you don't have, lets give you no hope of ever being released from captivity, lets sleep deprive you, isolate you from even the company of guards and the opportunity for exercise whilst keeping you under video surveillance for a period of 18 months.

Yeah, sure. Say what you want, your title is still misleading.

In fact, unless you get what's going on, you might find yourself submitted to the same in the not-too-distant future

Uh-huh.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Let me ask you, how do you know this?
Spoken to anyone from or who works in Guatanamo ?
No you believe what you are told, even if it is there to appeal to you...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join