It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Veterans day to all former and current ATS brothers in green!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Thoren

We were a cav troop so we had basically a mini battalion at the company level with a scout, mess and mortar platoon as well as three tank platoons. There was a couple of times they sent me to the back of a BFV to play scout and I hated it every time.

I used to love being a driver and passing by a bunch of scouts on the side of the road and hitting the smoke generator button real quick as we passed HAHA!! God we used to mess with each other hard. Good times.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

I usually give them what they want to hear in the most sarcastic way possible. "Oh ya, killed everyday. Woke up, did some pt, then some killing, went to chow then some more killin. Went to chow again then some more killin." The look on their face after that is priceless.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I did my service backwards compared to most. I was a Nasty Girl for four years then decided to go active duty for four years. Most people go active then do reserves. I was stationed in Vilseck Germany 2/63 ARBN with the Big Red One. Pattons army baby!! Did a tour in Bosnia and another in Afghanistan.

I loved Germany, I would like to go back someday and not be tied down with obligations to the military. I only wish I had went there single, the ladies in Germany are awesome.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I used to love being a driver and passing by a bunch of scouts on the side of the road and hitting the smoke generator button real quick as we passed HAHA!! God we used to mess with each other hard. Good times.

Haha you damn drivers are all the same! We had to ride in the back of 2.5 ton trucks many times and the driver, of course always thinks it is funny to slam on the brakes.

ETA: I started out NG too. Then went active duty after a year or so.
edit on 11-11-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem"
-Ronald Reagan

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

When I read the title I thought of how many guys I know who still "bleed Navy blue" . I almost started to say something snarky until I read a few comments.

Instead, I think this would be a good time to share something which is far closer to my heart.
I am not good enough to even attempt to embed a video into this reply so, for those who will, I offer this link.

youtu.be...

May you come to understand without any first hand experience.
edit on 11-11-2016 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

I will try to place your video.

edit on 11-11-2016 by Jdennis10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Edit: Oops JDennis10 beat me to embedding it.
edit on 11-11-2016 by Thoren because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
To :
Jdennis and Thoren,

Thanks a group guys,

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

We must have been working together.

Happy Veterans Day!

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
B-52's, B-1's, KC-135's as a crew chief, E-3 Flight engineer...

Miss it every day, one of the few times in my life where I felt I belonged was in uniform, with people of a similar mindset... its much harder to understand civilians..

ETA: even though I was a zoomie, I have great respect from my brothers and sisters in the Army, I think yall got the worst job in the military...

USAF: we blow stuff up from a distance

Navy: we blow stuff up from a distance

Marines: we get up close and personal blow stuff up and make it rain... then turn the mess over to the army.

Army: we have to go in and hold everything together, occasionally getting to blow stuff up while everyone tries to kill us.

Coast Guard: has it pretty rough, but its level of bad is much more spread out than the army. (I think)
edit on 11-11-2016 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

That's the great thing about the military is the unity. One giant family of brothers and sisters all working towards the same goal. There was no division amongst us.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I hear ya.

We always said that white, black, brown, poor, rich, short, tall, fat skinny whatever, does'nt matter because we're all green now.

I still keep in touch with old friends and battle buddies I had when I was in. Its funny to see everyone (myself included) getting old and fat.

Thanks for serving my man.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Same to you brother!
A fellow DAT for a short time then I was a C-DAT a Computerised Dumb Ass Tanker. 19E M60A3D
Dinosaur with the Texas Guard, then 19k up to the M1-1 & barely touched the A2 model.
I thankfully never had to take part in any real combat. I was about 30 days from deployment during Desert Storm. I have the up most respect for all my brothers and sisters who have. I served my Country proudly knowing if I did have to fight and die it would not be for Politics, or Oil, or any other cause of war we can dream up. It is for my brothers and sisters beside me in uniform.Those who have survived the horror of combat deserve so much more than we give them.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
World War III. Missile launch officer in Minot, North Dakota, in the early 80s. Never got to blow up the world. You would have heard about it.

The sheer size of the United States military machine is astounding.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

Oh wow you were on the 60's?

I heard always heard from all my old tank commanders and platoon seargeants that that was the REAL tanking!

When I was in the LA Guard we always played wargames and do training against those TX guys from the 49th. I always was kinda jealous of those guys because it seems Texas, unlike many other states, would not mind dropping some dollars on equipment and training. I think they were some of the first NG units in the nation to get A2's.

Thanks just the same man, just because you missed going to the desert does not detract anything at all from your service. Consider yourself a lucky fella not to. Alot of those DS guys came back with some serious problems.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Veterans Day is tough on Veterans who lost a battle buddy. I's not really a day of celebration that's for sure. Hard to explain. Pride mixed with a good dose of heartache. I would do it again though if called upon. There is something about America that goes beyond politics and flags. As Hitler said, Americans are the mutts of the planet. Yeah, well the mutts won and have achieved the most amazing things the world has ever seen which is really a reflection of the best of all countries because that is the DNA of America.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

My dad was also a zoomie, stationed in Berlin as the wall was built... he never really talked about it till I went with him to berlin to see where he used to work.

When the russians fired up the tanks he would get handed a grease gun to stand post... said it was really interesting when that happened.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

I's not really a day of celebration that's for sure. Hard to explain. Pride mixed with a good dose of heartache. I would do it again though if called upon.

True dat. I've seen better men than me buy the farm. Upstanding NCO's with wife, kids, a family and you have to wonder why their ticket got punched and not yours. I just keep in mind that life, no matter how long you live, is short. I'll see Barnett and those guys one day when its my time. Until then, all I can do is honor their memory and live my life the best I can. If the roles were reversed its what I would want for them.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode
Veterans Day is tough on Veterans who lost a battle buddy. I's not really a day of celebration that's for sure. Hard to explain. Pride mixed with a good dose of heartache. I would do it again though if called upon. There is something about America that goes beyond politics and flags. As Hitler said, Americans are the mutts of the planet. Yeah, well the mutts won and have achieved the most amazing things the world has ever seen which is really a reflection of the best of all countries because that is the DNA of America.

Reminds me of what a man once said ...

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

I once heard Adm. Crow say, "We are the only fighting force in the world, who will send men into battle against over weldming odds with nothing more than their witts and a knife, and fully expect them to return victorious."
edit on 11-11-2016 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join