It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terraformation of Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Terraforming is a process of planetary engineering, specifically directed at enhancing the capacity of
an extraterrestrial planetary environment to support life. The ultimate in terraforming would be to
create an uncontained planetary biosphere emulating all the functions of the biosphere of the
Earth---one that would be fully habitable for human beings.
M.J. Fogg, Terraforming: Engineering Planetary Environments, SAE International (1995).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The terraformation of mars could be a great alternative to the earth overpopulations problems that will strike humany soon. Personally I think that humanity will do it, but I would like to hear peoples opinions about this subject.

www.scu.edu.au...

www.scu.edu.au...

www.users.globalnet.co.uk...

[Edited on 22-6-2003 by Salem]

[Edited on 22-6-2003 by Salem]

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I think that any kind of space-based technological advancements is a GOOD thing for the human race, although I seriously doubt that we'll terraforming Mars even in the next 100 years. I am firmly convinced that any progress that is made on Mars will first be made in secret -- just as it has already!

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hmmm perhaps you're right. But I think that a project such Mars terraformation is too complex ( ressources cost, technologie etc.. ) to be handled by only one nation...

So it will be difficult to keep it secret.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
HowStuffWorks had an interesting article on this:

science.howstuffworks.com...

Terraforming Mars would take a long, long time to do. Maybe 500 years from start to finish. It really is possible, but would it be worthwhile? Overcrowding is starting to become an issue now, but 100 years from now, when most of the Earth is industrialized, the growth factor will start going down. The population of Earth will peak someday. Maybe earth could hold 15 billiob people, or maybe we're already at it's maximum capacity. Who knows?

I'd love to be able to see the terraforming of mars, though.

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 09:05 PM
link   
5 Years ago they we're saying that it would likely take 1000 years... probably that in 25 years it will be realizable.

BTW : Thanks for the link

[Edited on 25-6-2003 by Salem]

new topics

top topics

join