It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Huffington Post: The Electoral College Was Designed to Prevent Trump...Make This Happen.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: avgguy

No where near 99.7 percent of people voted Trump, and that is a fact. Hillary secured more of the popular vote than Trump during the election, and only the electoral college won it for him.

I also hate Hillary and believe that she is dirtier than a sewer main, but the people's voice was NOT reflected in the result of the election.

First off the popular vote is still being counted and is very close. At most it will be a .3% difference

Second - the vast majority of states want Trump and that is more valid then the majority of people.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

Moreover, people act like HRC won a majority of the popular vote. Wrong. She won a plurality of the votes. More people voted against her, than for her.

There were other presidential candidates, ya know.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The electoral college worked exactly as intended. The city folk need to get a grip. they only inhabit less than 5% of our landmass....they can't always get their way.
edit on 11/11/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

That seem to be the rethoric but only for the losing side, perhaps we should make Hillary president of NY and California

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
i mean, they put up the only candidate that Trump could beat....

The electoral college didn't fail us. the parties, and their primaries, did.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
If voting districts hadn't been gerrymandered, Clinton would indeed have won. She did win more overall votes in the USA.

Don't quite understand? Here's a very simple video to help explain how to rig an election without voting fraud:

It's called gerrymandering, and the Republicans are the kings of it.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

When people say they want the popular vote to prevail, what they are really saying is they want to abolish the states.

Goodbye 10th Amendment...goodbye "Laboratories of Democracy". Hello tyranny of Federal Rule.

Why do so many people suck at civics in the greatest Republic in history?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

This is what the agenda has been all along Loam, you kill the Republic and the country is fair game for anybody, groups, or factions.

This been going on for quite sometime.

The more people become ignorant of how the democratic process work the worst it will get.

Hell I always been anti establishment, that means at the Federal level, they are the ones destroying the Republics

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Gerrymandering has absolutely nothing to do with the presidential election. Races for the House of Representatives? Yes. Presidential elections? No. State borders are state borders. They don't change. The electoral vote allocation can change over time, but this is due only to population changes within the state.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Something to consider when you try to process what has happened:

State is defined as "a nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government."

So the "United States" are a federation of nations/territories. And at least 14 states can lay legitimate claim to the title of "Nation" (the colonies and Texas).

An analog, although under a different administration, is the European Union. Similar notion, different system.

This is why we have something called "states rights", and why there was a fierce debate between Federalists and Anti-Federalists (people for, and against a strong central federal government). Its also why Washington put down the Whiskey Rebellion so quickly (to keep the states at heel behind his weak government), and why we had a civil war (Uncle Sam wanting to assert supremacy over the states).

Thus, the votes are issued in the same way our legislator are: by representation, and allotted based on population. Because the state is seen as the primary unit of our federation (United States), and is responsible for administering it. Each state gets its crap together, then goes to convention at the EC to cast their votes.

We are not "one nation" (nor are we "under God", honestly....but different topic). We are "one federation of 50 states". The "popular vote" is irrelevant, excepting staunch federalists.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: MotherMayEye

So in other words, the only states that need to vote are CA and NY, and the rest of the country can just suck egg?

"All for" is a very, very poor choice of words on my part.

I think there is an argument to be made for 1 person/1 vote. I also think there's an argument to be made for the electoral college. There's just room for debate. THERE IS NO ROOM TO CHANGE THE RULES AFTER THE VOTES HAVE BEEN CAST. Let me make that much perfectly clear.

My heart says 1 person/1 vote...and I understand the angst. My mind says electoral college.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
The electoral college worked exactly as intended. The city folk need to get a grip. they only inhabit less than 5% of our landmass....they can't always get their way.

If they could just push us all into poverty and dependence of the social welfare system...then the popular vote will serve Democrats, every fvcking time.

Revolution must be considered seriously if they undo the electoral college and begin with faithless electors in this election...*cough* peaceful, of course.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: buster2010

I am not even using party designations anymore as those were lost this cycle. The core of the DNC and RNC lost to what I consider an independent.

It's one thing saying that, but there is a need to remember that it's the Republican electoral votes that need to go to Donald to win. If those Republicans consider him an independent too, they might not vote for him, they need not vote for him should they consider him unsuitable, as many of the RNC people have said anyway...exactly one reason why the electoral College is there. People can't seem to get it into their heads that the electoral college can vote for whomever they like, and nothing can be done about it. That they usually do vote for their own party leader is a convention, there are no legalities about it.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If the liberals really want to go down this path, then perhaps we should also do a physical recount of the votes and eliminate all those ballots of dead voters, duplicate ballots, ballots of non citizens, etc. then we will really see who actually won the popular vote

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
If those Republicans consider him an independent too, they might not vote for him, they need not vote for him should they consider him unsuitable

The problem with this theory is that the alternative is Hillary. Whether these pre-selected Republicans like Trump or not, they surely detest Hillary more. That's why the scenario of "faithless electors turning to Hillary" is so implausible.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elostone
If the liberals really want to go down this path, then perhaps we should also do a physical recount of the votes and eliminate all those ballots of dead voters, duplicate ballots, ballots of non citizens, etc. then we will really see who actually won the popular vote

We can't. Too many electronic votes that cannot be recounted...only audited.

Remember how the media and republicans mocked punchcard and butterfly ballots, after the 2000 election? Instead of designing better RECOUNTABLE paper ballots, we were pushed to accept hackable electronic voting machines that cannot be recounted.

Republicans fell for it. Fools.

And Democrats are fools, too, for all their reforms that have made our elections so very vulnerable to rigging and fraud.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Donald Trump won ARIZONA earlier today. With 100% of the votes counted in MICHIGAN, he has taken that state too.

Source: www.msn.com...

I'm amazed at, but PROUD of, both Michigan and Arizona for making the right choice. The choice that's best for their futures. Time for the Huffington Post and the Protesters to grow up, learn from their mistakes, and prepare to win in 2024.

edit on 11/11/2016 by carewemust because: Donald Trump Will Be a Great President for ALL Americans!

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks for the history lesson, as we can see in this boards many seems to have gone to sleep during that history class in schools.

perhaps ATS should have a new forum where people can learn something about Americas humble history and why things are the way they are.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Donald Trump won ARIZONA earlier today. With 100% of the votes counted in MICHIGAN, he has taken that state too.

Source: www.msn.com...

I'm amazed at, but PROUD of, both Michigan and Arizona for making the right choice. The choice that's best for their futures. Time for the Huffington Post and the Protesters to grow up, learn from their mistakes, and prepare to win in 2024.

Michigan is STILL at 96%. It's been stuck there for 24 hours.

There is some seriously stinky, smelly, rotten buII# going on.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I remember it was quite a show, I sat watching and laughing about the 9,000 votes with hanging chads, that was hilarious how they will grab the cards and put them to the light to check the chads, then pass them around to make sure.

Then it was a joke that children were named chad after that historical election.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join