It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump getting less votes than Romney offers up a different perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I have my own interpretation of this, but I'm curious to hear how this can be reconciled with the knowledge that Romney was almost a throwaway candidate, the supposedly quite large Trump vote, and the "anyone, but Hillary" movement. How strong was Trump support really? Looking at Hillarys 2016 numbers at 58.9m, it is quite different than Obamas re-election run of 65m. So what happened in your mind and do you believe America can do better?

I am very worried about our country. On the ground it appears that no one got what they wanted and this is not acceptable as a standard for America. To my own question, we can do better and should strive for it.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

I think the machines started flipping votes from Independents, write ins, and empty fields in an attempt to lose the horrendous gap.

Because, I expected a lot more turnout for the ind. folks, especially Stein. Im no fan of her gun hating policies, but I had lots of love for some of her environmental stuff. I figured others would too.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It reflects the NeverTrumpers on the conservative side. However, Trump also pulled a lot votes away from the Democrats. This is why he won PA, MI, WI, and Ohio which voted for Obama last time. Trump basically got the blue collar dirt under nails rural guys that traditionally make up the union vote that normally votes Democrat. The Democrat elites ignored these guys too long and they bear the cost of the jobs going overseas.

Here is a good analysis at conservative treehouse.

Trump's Monster Vote
edit on 10-11-2016 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I think they should do a recount to show the proper spread. I had Trump at 48%, Clinton at 39% and Johnson at 9% for $100 at 47:1 and $100 on Trump to win. I broke even, but the 48/39 split is more realistic.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Probably the simple fact many people didn't want to chose between a douche and a turd sandwich.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Between the devil we know and the devil we don't... the unknown going forward vs. the corrupt past. Thats the whole idea behind term limits. It turns over a new leaf, stems the corruption from those entrenched that have learned how to cheat, to something new that may actually try and do a good job.

Noobs aim to please, career politicians know how to manipulate the system.

I say fire the lot, Trump. Have a field day.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well Romney didn't have the media opposition Trump has or nearly half the world against him or sexual harrassment allegations weeks before the election to deal with. Romney has it easy lots of people were fed up with Obama Romney just isn't a guy to rally around

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
That's one way to spin it.

Another way is that Trump would have beaten Obama in the last election with the numbers he got.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It was largely due to the unpopularity of both candidates, particularly Hillary.

Still, Trump flipped a number of key states that Obama won in 2012 and heavily cut into Obama's margins in many others. Some of those states, the GOP has not won in decades. Seriously, when was the last time that a Republican won ANY of Wisconsin, Michigan or Pennsylvania, let alone all three in the same election? Answer: 1984, when Mondale won only one state, Minnesota. Speaking of Minnesota, Trump lost by less than 2% there, and this is a state the GOP has carried ONCE since 1960, and that was in 1972.

If he can get the 'Never Trumpers' back and can build and maintain a decent approval rating in office, he will be VERY formidable heading into the 2020 election cycle after having flipped the states he did this time around.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

I think they should do a recount to show the proper spread. I had Trump at 48%, Clinton at 39% and Johnson at 9% for $100 at 47:1 and $100 on Trump to win. I broke even, but the 48/39 split is more realistic.

Cheers - Dave

Naturally, you missed the point entirely.

Anyways...

Look at the excuses being made up here. Obama carried over 65m votes on a reelection year and Trump pulled in less than Romney with a supposedly big movement behind him on a hot election year. When he does worse than Romney and Hillary loses 6.5m votes we see that Trump didn't win the election due to being the candidate of choice. Clinton just plain lost the votes. I'd be wary of an incoming Democrat controlled congress. Things always have a way of balancing themselves out.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
That's one way to spin it.

Another way is that Trump would have beaten Obama in the last election with the numbers he got.

It's not a spin. It's called numbers. Obama received 65m votes on a reelection cycle. Trump didn't even come close to that on a hot year. Do you struggle with numbers or is your head buried that deep in the sand? Maybe I'm confused, but is 65 million suddenly less than 58 million?

Face it, Trumps turn out was not very good. I kept hearing about all these Trump votes and he didn't even beat a career criminal in the popular vote. The lack of broad support is troubling to say the least.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78
It was largely due to the unpopularity of both candidates, particularly Hillary.

Still, Trump flipped a number of key states that Obama won in 2012 and heavily cut into Obama's margins in many others. Some of those states, the GOP has not won in decades. Seriously, when was the last time that a Republican won ANY of Wisconsin, Michigan or Pennsylvania, let alone all three in the same election? Answer: 1984, when Mondale won only one state, Minnesota. Speaking of Minnesota, Trump lost by less than 2% there, and this is a state the GOP has carried ONCE since 1960, and that was in 1972.

If he can get the 'Never Trumpers' back and can build and maintain a decent approval rating in office, he will be VERY formidable heading into the 2020 election cycle after having flipped the states he did this time around.

Right, but it is very hard to give Trump credit for flipping states in consideration of the Clinton stink and her losing 6.5m votes. It's something that would need to have a data trend before we can truly say the republicans or Trump did that. Being that we have this outlier year, I'm going with the usual trends that Democrats will eventually gain control of Congress. A balancing of the force always happens.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

wtf are you saying, Trump won the popular vote too. Are you insane? Most incumbents win re-election for a second term. Two term presidents are the majority in our history.

There have been nearly a dozen one term presidents who ran for second terms but were denied by voters, but only three one term presidents since World War II. The most recent one term president who lost his re-election bid was George H.W. Bush, a Republican who lost to Democrat Bill Clinton in 1992.

It will make more sense when we compare Trump's re-election votes to Obama's in 2020. This train is plowing through into the next decade too.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

The 'Never Trumpers'? He's got a lot of ground to cover then. You can't exactly pull back dramatically on all your campaign promises and expect to also to have a high approval rating, can you? He'll have distrust everywhere.

What I think will happen is he'll pull back on all his campaign promises and yet his approval rating will remain low. It's his tweets. He could do everything right, but his tweets will expose him. Trump will be happy to go anyway, so he can loosen up and start grabbing pu*** again.

I can only wonder what kids in schools are thinking and what they'll be thinking when Trump is potus. He's a horrible example for them. It's ok to have extra-marrital affairs and use your status to grab p****. And you can say dirty things about others in public, even on national TV during a presidential debate. Some examples: "Nasty woman", "You've been fighting ISIS your whole adult life.", "I said very tough things to her and I think everybody would agree she deserves it and nobody feels sorry for her.", "Bad Hombres."

I think Trump is always living in his own reality TV show. It's even partially made manifest. His campaign base is in his veyr own Trump Tower. Stand beneath that monolith and comprehend. I dare you.

edit on 11/11/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Well, I would rather that be the example, instead of child murdering, nation destroying, terrorist funding, Constitution hating Hillary.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

wtf are you saying, Trump won the popular vote too. Are you insane? Most incumbents win re-election for a second term. Two term presidents are the majority in our history.

There have been nearly a dozen one term presidents who ran for second terms but were denied by voters, but only three one term presidents since World War II. The most recent one term president who lost his re-election bid was George H.W. Bush, a Republican who lost to Democrat Bill Clinton in 1992.

It will make more sense when we compare Trump's re-election votes to Obama's in 2020. This train is plowing through into the next decade too.

Hahahahaha. No he didn't. He did not win the popular vote. What a bimbo.

You expect me to have a serious conversation with you after that failure to understand numbers? Idiocracy in action right here.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: jonnywhite

Well, I would rather that be the example, instead of child murdering, nation destroying, terrorist funding, Constitution hating Hillary.

Lol. Another off the wall response. This place has lost it.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Ok well, I admit I did not check the numbers again since Wednesday until just right now. When I saw the numbers, Trump had 59 million to Clintons 58.xyz something. I did not realize things were still being counted on Wednesday.

So she allegedly got the popular vote with a 395,050 vote difference. I still claim that was just vote flipping at the last minute. makes no sense to me how in two days from me seeing she suddenly edges over the popular vote.

Regardless, nobody wants a genocidal war criminal who helped destroy the most prosperous nation on one continent and try to destroy one of the last secular governments in the Middle East. And get a damn Ford!

top topics

join