It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garrison Keillor: "Trump voters will not like what happens next"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

must be nice not having jobs to do all that for 4 years

Didn't you know? The liberal elite lives off of trust funds, cultural handouts, social programs and academic grants...work is for drones.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

you don't know what is he going to do unless you are a time traveler.

No need to be a time traveler if you listen to what he's had to say for the last year and a half outlining what he plans to do.
Making America great again ain't going to be cheap.

Infrastructure spending , an expanded military and of course tax cuts all need to be paid for.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

The same way that it was a campaign of lies aided by the conglomerate corporate media behind the Democrats it will keep on going the whole time Trump farts in the white house.

The democrats will never rest, or sleep, maybe will not eat either?

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

They have been doing that for 8 years. They lazily piddled around with healthcare and screwed it up royalty because they would not sit down with Republicans and figure it out. They don't care about illegals because they don't live anywhere near the problem. As long as they are not cutting through their tomato gardens and screwing up their labor unions they do not care about illegals. Not their problem.

Not true. Republicans were very involved at the beginning and things were continuously negotiated in the hopes for a bi-partisan agreement.

Then after the law was passed, the mantra "Repeal!" was the only thing heard, along with legal attacks to cripple it and dismantle it in whatever way they could. To open up the ACA for ANY discussion of how to "fix" things would have led to more poison being added in the hope of killing it and nothing getting done.

Republicans don't want to help people with healthcare. Not really. Unless its to prevent women from having it, but that's another story entirely...

- AB

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: Trueman

I'll buy their tomatoes. I bet they can fertilize the land really well.

In a slightly ironic touch, what do you think will happen to the price of tomatoes (and produce in general) if Trump keeps his promise to deport all the illegals that are currently harvesting said stuff? Not that it will affect his table...but it could yours. Didn't they try cracking down in Alabama a couple of years back, and they couldn't get the crops in because regular folks found the work too hard?

I wish we were Canadian sometimes. Then again, I think we have better autism supports down here. It's the healthcare part that is essential in our lives and soon to be a giant freaking question mark - instability in that area is terrifying to me.

- AB

edit on 10-11-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Did the Republicans during Obama's two terms? Mind you, if they had really been on top of things they would not have ended up with a golem representing them to the world but hey...that's why the Gods invented popcorn, eh?

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Dear Johnny,

Keillor is spot on!! I always loved his Lake Wobegon shows.... goes back a ways, as I still have some on tape.

Anyway, that's how I feel, too. Oh, I don't grow tomatoes, but I do buy only Canadian grown tomatoes when my local grocery store gets them in. And now, you Canucks, you are sending my town a Canadian company, so thank you.... jobs, jobs, jobs!

After their family lived in Canada almost 200 years, my grandparents and mother moved from Canada to America and became US citizens, and so I won't be going back. As a child of an immigrant, America is my home and I love her, a thing called patriotism. I still have a sweet tooth for maple sugar syrup and candy, but those I buy American when I can.

So, yes, I will be eating my Canadian tomatoes and enjoying.... not quite the word.... the show.... more like the horror show.... American Horror Story.... or Freakshow. Anyway, thank you for your moral support ... and the produce and new jobs.

Sincerely,
desert

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: butcherguy

I think this quote is more apt.

Resentment is no excuse for bald-faced stupidity

Trumps supporters were voting against the elitist political system but voted for an elitist as their champion , when he crashes your already indebted economy with his spending plans they will be the ones who feel the pain.

Ya really think that he can better Obama in that regard?
Have you been listening?

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

In my humble opinion as a foreign spectator, Keillor has captured the portents of a Trump presidency in his typical whimsical manner. It's worth reading, as I don't believe that there will be a lot of whimsy in the next few years. Trump is a coarse individual, and that will be reflected in his White House. (Can you gild a building and still call it white? We shall see.) But I agree that Americans of a certain ethic own the results of the next four years. Pass the popcorn, will ya?

We liberal elitists are now completely in the clear. The government is in Republican hands. Let them deal with him. Democrats can spend four years raising heirloom tomatoes, meditating, reading Jane Austen, traveling around the country, tasting artisan beers, and let the Republicans build the wall and carry on the trade war with China and deport the undocumented and deal with opioids, and we Democrats can go for a long , brisk walk and smell the roses. Link

Now, this is the typical cowardly liberal democrat with sour grapes. "We liberal elitists are now completely in the clear." It just shows how fickle they truly are. They give up, nothing worked for them to get Hillary elected. That's all they have to say. Pure drivel with no substance. At least they have Soros and his anarchist groups to show civil unrest and start a race war. "We've screwed up the country for 8 years now you can fix it. You own it now. We'll just sit back and watch you fix it while we continue to use the media to stoke a race war and blame it on Trump. We'll just watch the country burn to the ground."

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: mkultra11

In my humble opinion as a foreign spectator, Keillor has captured the portents of a Trump presidency in his typical whimsical manner. It's worth reading, as I don't believe that there will be a lot of whimsy in the next few years. Trump is a coarse individual, and that will be reflected in his White House. (Can you gild a building and still call it white? We shall see.) But I agree that Americans of a certain ethic own the results of the next four years. Pass the popcorn, will ya?

We liberal elitists are now completely in the clear. The government is in Republican hands. Let them deal with him. Democrats can spend four years raising heirloom tomatoes, meditating, reading Jane Austen, traveling around the country, tasting artisan beers, and let the Republicans build the wall and carry on the trade war with China and deport the undocumented and deal with opioids, and we Democrats can go for a long , brisk walk and smell the roses. Link

Now, this is the typical cowardly liberal democrat with sour grapes.

No. It's not. It's a reflection on the fact that those who voted for Trump, own the results. It also pokes fun at the so-called "liberal elite." It is whimsical. There's that word again. It means funny, but in a gentle way. Maybe you missed the nuances because you didn't read the full article. I did provide the link. I did what I could. Maybe you're just beating your chest because 'your' side won. Fair enough...but that won't get you through the next 4 years. Which kind of takes us full circle. Good luck with your golem...I think you're gonna need it.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Lol i saw an article that talked about the election in it they said that democrats voted agaisnt having a democrat controlled congress and senate because they didnt trust hillary clinton but they had been 100 percent sure she would win! So who is really at fault here?
The republicans kicked and screamed at trump and not only does he win but he gaves them control of congress and the senate lol.I think the political brownie points for going agaisnt trump are over and i think the republicans know they have to bring the A game.
Already trump has averted ww3 with russian just by being elected now canada wants to talk nafta trade deal to renegotiate and he hasn't even stepped into office yet. He out lined his first 100 days in office so I'm willing to bet within the first 100 days that the mexican wall will be brought up pretty quickly even though its not on the agenda for the first days. He will be bogged down trying to fix the mess that obama care became.

I expect trade deals and tariffs to dominate political headlines from the left and monitary policy articles paid by the banks are going to try and attack him. I believe the big corps and wall street will try and ruin his presidency but they will change their minds later when work visa are looked at and believe they will make a deal when he reduces the amount but allows larger corps to still have more hb1 visas then most.

I believe you will see once the tradedeals start being negotiated businesses will be built quickly in the us due to tariffs on over seas goods.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

To use Colin Powell's words (later shortened to the Pottery Barn rule: You break it, you own it) to George Bush re Iraq: "You are going to be the proud owner of 25 million people. You will own all their hopes, aspirations, and problems. You'll own it all."

Powell said that to Bush, as Bush was planning his actions. Too bad no Republican said this to Donald Trump in July 2015. "You are going to be the proud owner of 320 million people. You will own all their hopes, aspirations, and problems. You'll own it all."

I think it just has finally dawned on The Donald just WTF he has gotten himself into. During his entire campaign, it was all about The D, and now he is beginning to understand it's not about 1 person but 320 million, and the rest of the world.

I quit listening and watching for the results early on, when I knew the end was near for Hillary. I just today online saw pix of Trump post election. He is not the same man as before the results were announced. Today I saw pix of a very tired, old man, as one might expect AFTER serving as POTUS. His smile is tight lipped, forced, not the smile of the happy-go-lucky campaigner. Gestures not so emphatic, weaker. He looks gobsmacked. Today at the White House his hands were fidgeting nervously.

Trump has been on a drunk-for-adulation campaign and is now waking up with a major hangover. As one alcoholic told me once, he woke up so drunk one time that he actually thought he had died and woke up in Hell. Trump is now in Hell. They only way out for liberals is to watch him go through withdrawal and not enable him to get drunk again. His followers own him and all the enabling they did to put him in a powerful position.

I can see the cry for help has already started. Sorry, The Donald and all your followers, you broke it, you own it.

Canada, you will unfortunately be close enough to hear the wailing and gnashing. Going through severe addiction withdrawal is painful to hear and watch.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Just as I figured, they blamed all of Obama's boondoggles on Republicans before him, and now they'll blame his mess Trump has to clean up, on Republicans after him. I'd be lying if I said I was surprised. But I think we all know they'll spend every single waking moment of their lives, which SHOULD be out doing what they claim they'll do, trying to bury him because lets face it, they don't have a life outside of trying to smear and ruin someone's career if that person doesn't agree on their agenda.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Here's the story.
www.washingtonpost.com...
From the link,
Here is the quote that says a lot:

Let the uneducated have their day.

Elitism.

That quote reeks of envy and jealousy.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

a reply to: butcherguy

I think this quote is more apt.

Resentment is no excuse for bald-faced stupidity

Trumps supporters were voting against the elitist political system but voted for an elitist as their champion , when he crashes your already indebted economy with his spending plans they will be the ones who feel the pain.

Have you people not learned by now, not to count your chickens on Trump before they hatch? Been hearing for almost 2 years now, what he will and won't do, and every single time the predictions have been wrong. No wonder y'all are avid Obama supporters. He jumped the gun all the time too.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I'll buy their tomatoes. I bet they can fertilize the land really well.

In a slightly ironic touch, what do you think will happen to the price of tomatoes (and produce in general) if Trump keeps his promise to deport all the illegals that are currently harvesting said stuff? Not that it will affect his table...but it could yours. Didn't they try cracking down in Alabama a couple of years back, and they couldn't get the crops in because regular folks found the work too hard?

Depends. He's not going door to door, despite what you hear on the television or read on the internet. Any illegal that gets deported will be an illegal that broke the law, so they won't be needed or missed.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

No body actually reads Jane Austen.

By the way, get this, I only got in trouble once in my life and got arrested.
Why?

Because I gave someone "Sense and Sensibility" the book.
Literally, that was the prime focus of my violation.

It's a really long story and you'd crap your pants to find out how this book (and another book) played the central role of the biggest controversy of my life. You'd be so glad you're Canadian to find out the utter depths of stupidity the United States is currently involved in domestically.

Post that story!

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Did the Republicans during Obama's two terms? Mind you, if they had really been on top of things they would not have ended up with a golem representing them to the world but hey...that's why the Gods invented popcorn, eh?

You do realize, I hope, that if it weren't for the last 8 years of failure, division, and destruction, that Trump wouldn't have made it past 6 weeks, right? Obama and his blatantly corrupt, bigoted, and hateful administration and executive orders are the whole reason for Trump's popularity and now his unprecedented historical victory.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: mkultra11

Now, this is the typical cowardly liberal democrat with sour grapes. "We liberal elitists are now completely in the clear." It just shows how fickle they truly are. They give up, nothing worked for them to get Hillary elected. That's all they have to say. Pure drivel with no substance. At least they have Soros and his anarchist groups to show civil unrest and start a race war. "We've screwed up the country for 8 years now you can fix it. You own it now. We'll just sit back and watch you fix it while we continue to use the media to stoke a race war and blame it on Trump. We'll just watch the country burn to the ground."

You just nailed it...

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Just as I figured, they blamed all of Obama's boondoggles on Republicans before him, and now they'll blame his mess Trump has to clean up, on Republicans after him. I'd be lying if I said I was surprised. But I think we all know they'll spend every single waking moment of their lives, which SHOULD be out doing what they claim they'll do, trying to bury him because lets face it, they don't have a life outside of trying to smear and ruin someone's career if that person doesn't agree on their agenda.

Republicans aren't any different. This is the major problem facing our political system. It's so strongly partisan. Instead of working together like they should, they make it a rivalry. "A house divided..."

This is the number #1 reason I've voted independent consistently each election cycle. I'm sick of fighting. I try to find a middleground. I've spent a good majority of my life moderating my liberal tendencies. I think got them in school. The attitude in most schools is conservatism is outmoded and rural in nature. It's what rednecks do. It's what backwards people do. But truth is--whether that's true or not--conservatism is real and ALL people matter. So we can't simply dismiss it and brute force liberal policies on everybody.
edit on 11/10/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join