It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am genuinely concerned about the LGBTQ people, and what they will be facing in a Trump Presidency

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Here is the bottom line on this. No one cares if you are gay, lesbian, trans-gender or whatever. No one cares if you are white or black, Mexican or American. No one cares if you are rich or poor or if you are on welfare. We don't care where you get your birth control or your medical insurance. We really don't even care if you are a Republican, Democrat or Independent.

Here is what we DO care about. You follow the laws and the rules...same as everyone else. You have the exact same rights...as everyone else. You get, give, pay and produce...the same as everyone else. Where problems come up is when "some people" demand SPECIAL RIGHTS! Example...Obama phones, using the wrong bathroom, marching half naked in a parade, rioting because some white guy bumped into a black guy (and free TVs), anarchy because YOUR choice for President didn't win, school counseling just in case a Halloween costume scared someone, free food for people who have the cash to buy a 64" 4K TV, on welfare but everyone in your house has a brand new $800 iPhone, if your black it was a hate crime but if you're white it isn't, illegally entering our country and demanding rights and benefits, etc., etc., etc.

So no matter what you are or what you want to call yourself (I'm a Goat!), if you do as everyone else, stop demanding special treatment and special exceptions and benefit the society as everyone else...NO ONE CARES!!!

PS: If it helps, there is a name for that. Actually two. FAIR and EQUAL.

Ok.

I want YOU to give up YOUR special rights.

White? That's a race....protected.

Christian? That's a religion.....protected.

Male? That's a sex.....protected.

As soon as YOU give up YOUR special rights....I'll stop striving to be like YOU!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I wonder if the flag is going to be colorful.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
What Trump will do remains to be seen.

What his supporters are already doing in the face of victory we're already seeing.

That is why I'm concerned.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell Yes A Trump Temper Tantrum Saw this on RT "The voters came,they saw what she stood for and she died a political death" ha ha ha

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: PageLC14
a reply to: misskat1

Not sure if it's been said here or not, but apparently Pence has said that he believes homosexuality can be cured through electroshock therapy. That's plenty reason for the LGBTQ community to fear persecution and being forced into mental hospitals.

Yep. Pence wanted to take funds from HIV/AID to fund Conversion Therapy!

Here's what pence has said:

Pence advocated for that position on his campaign website from that time, as BuzzFeed’s Andrew Kaczynski reports:

During his first successful run for Congress in 2000, now-Indiana Gov. Mike Pence wrote on his website in a section on LGBT issues that money from a program to help those with HIV/AIDS should go to organizations “which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior.”

That section on LGBT issues was called, “Strengthening the American Family.” It read:
Congress should oppose any effort to put gay and lesbian relationships on an equal legal status with heterosexual marriage.

Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexual’s as a “discreet and insular minority” entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities.

Congress should support the reauthorization of the Ryan White Care Act only after completion of an audit to ensure that federal dollars were no longer being given to organizations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus.

Resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior.

www.towleroad.com...

edit on 13-11-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
From Trump's book, The America We Deserve, written in 2010:

The America We Deserve: on Civil Rights
Tolerate diversity; prosecute hate crimes against gays One of our next president’s most important goals must be to induce a greater tolerance for diversity. The senseless murder of Matthew Shepard in Wyoming-where an innocent boy was killed because of his sexual orientation- turned my stomach. We must work towards an America where these kinds of hate crimes are unthinkable.

source

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
From Trump's book, The America We Deserve, written in 2010:

The America We Deserve: on Civil Rights
Tolerate diversity; prosecute hate crimes against gays One of our next president’s most important goals must be to induce a greater tolerance for diversity. The senseless murder of Matthew Shepard in Wyoming-where an innocent boy was killed because of his sexual orientation- turned my stomach. We must work towards an America where these kinds of hate crimes are unthinkable.

source

Apparently, those are someone else's words.

As Trump didn't write his own book.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
to that community...you better get some baseball bats and butch up, there are going to be conflicts. also, see if you can acquire a concealed carry permit for a gun. there are plenty of people out there, that have a lot of hate for your community. and now they have the leaders of the entire federal government that believe you are a cancer on society

And people call the GOP 'fear mongers'

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlbanArthur

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Here is the bottom line on this. No one cares if you are gay, lesbian, trans-gender or whatever. No one cares if you are white or black, Mexican or American. No one cares if you are rich or poor or if you are on welfare. We don't care where you get your birth control or your medical insurance. We really don't even care if you are a Republican, Democrat or Independent.

Here is what we DO care about. You follow the laws and the rules...same as everyone else. You have the exact same rights...as everyone else. You get, give, pay and produce...the same as everyone else. Where problems come up is when "some people" demand SPECIAL RIGHTS! Example...Obama phones, using the wrong bathroom, marching half naked in a parade, rioting because some white guy bumped into a black guy (and free TVs), anarchy because YOUR choice for President didn't win, school counseling just in case a Halloween costume scared someone, free food for people who have the cash to buy a 64" 4K TV, on welfare but everyone in your house has a brand new $800 iPhone, if your black it was a hate crime but if you're white it isn't, illegally entering our country and demanding rights and benefits, etc., etc., etc.

So no matter what you are or what you want to call yourself (I'm a Goat!), if you do as everyone else, stop demanding special treatment and special exceptions and benefit the society as everyone else...NO ONE CARES!!!

PS: If it helps, there is a name for that. Actually two. FAIR and EQUAL.

Ok.

I want YOU to give up YOUR special rights.

White? That's a race....protected.

Christian? That's a religion.....protected.

Male? That's a sex.....protected.

As soon as YOU give up YOUR special rights....I'll stop striving to be like YOU!!!!!!!

What are you talking about here?

LGBT people deserve the same rights as all og the groups you mentioned, no more or less. Thats why I am for gay marriage, which it seems Trump has no interest in overturning. But I am against laws that are being suggested, like wanted the use of new pronouns for trans to be used (I know this is in Ontario but you get the idea).

You mention protected classes. Lets take males.

I can point to many laws or their enforcement that actually hurts males, such as the increased jail times for males, or laws that hurt males in custody battles.

Can you show me one law on the books that is against women in this way?

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
LGbT community should be happy to hear this news.

In an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes" aired Sunday, Trump said the issue has "been settled," adding that he personally feels about gay marriage is irrelevant. "It's law. It was settled in the Supreme Court," Trump said. "It's done. ... These cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They've been settled, and I'm fine with that."

www.thehill.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: angrypsycho1977
I'm sorry I couldn't post something that was more recent, but there was a request for examples of discrimination based on sexual orientation, with no time restrictions imposed, and I provided my personal story. Should I have also included that the effect of that incident made me cautious and quelled my ambition for the next 15 years? Because it did. After that incident I had no faith that I had any job security and accepted my fate as a low income outsider destined to work in the service industry the rest of my life.

I do have other more recent stories, but they would be hearsay at best since they happened to other people and I have only heard one side of the story. I have a friend who worked construction who, when outed by a coworker, was told that he was creating a hostile work environment and let go. I have another that was a successful bartender at a golf course that was told he would alienate customers because he married his partner of 14 years. Again, I don't know if there were other circumstances because I only know half the story, and folks don't like to admit when they have issues with attendance or performance.

I also see the other side. The company I currently work for, which I am fully out and proud with, let a worker go because of performance issues a few months ago. He immediately took to social media and claimed that they fired him because he was gay, even though anyone could tell it was because of his attendance and his bad work ethic. Even when I confronted him about it he called me a "gay uncle Tom" and refused to accept his own failures.

That said, it does happen. Not as much anymore, but it does.

Do I think it's an epidemic? No.

Do I think it should still be addressed. Yes.

One person marginalized can have serious repercussions on their friends, their family and their mental health. It's a ripple effect of negativity that can be avoided if we just treated one another as equals on a base human level, and not biased by antiquated social norms.

And I agree, such instances - if they can be *proven* - should be prosecuted.

But like you said, they are isolated and rare. There is no systemic problem.

99.9% of the time a person's life choices should have no impact on their job performance. What we do in the privacy of our own homes should have no impact on how we do our jobs.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: angrypsycho1977
a reply to: GreenGunther

You act like you are the victim. You criticize people that are exercising their rights as a citizen and then fault them for not conforming to unconstitutional things. We are all created equal, we all deserve to be treated as equals, even if you believe you are a carrot. Or have a horrible addiction to Japanese body pillows. Or voted Johnson. Or are a flat earther. Or just happen to be homonormative.

Sorry but I can't let this one go. Gays *were* being treated by all states as far as marriage licenses went. The marriage license laws said "One Man, One Woman." In addition there are age limits, degree of relation, not already married, and other restrictions. EQUAL.

But activists screamed anyway, saying that man+woman was prejudiced because it was a litmus test for heterosexuality.

To which I say is bullocks. Nothing in any of the laws said that the people getting the licenses must be heterosexual. It was One Man, One Woman. EQUAL.

But activists screamed anyway, saying you can't deny people their love.

To which I say is bullocks. The government can't gauge love. If they could, a lot of straights would not be getting married and there would be a lot less divorces.

So there was nothing keeping a gay person from getting a marriage license so long as they got the license with a person of the opposite gender. Just like everyone else. EQUAL.

There was also nothing stopping a gay person from finding a lawyer and writing up a contract to get a civil union with their partner, then notarized. Just like a straight same-gender couple could. EQUAL.

So we had a situation where gays *were* being treated EQUALLY. The only way they could say they *were not* being treated equally was if there were heterosexual man+man or woman+woman couples being given marriage licenses. Or, if the gay person wanted to get a license with an opposite gender and were somehow denied for no other reason than being gay.

But that wasn't happening. It. Was. EQUAL. Treatment. Under. The. Law.

But they weren't treated in the equal way they wanted.

So somehow a bare majority of our 'esteemed' Supreme Court once again found verbiage that does not exist in the Constitution and pushed forward a narrative woven totally from their imagination that somehow same sex unions were written into the 14th Amendment, back in the 1860s.

That is not equality, that is special treatment.

Personally? I don't care if two dudes or chicks want to shack up. Not my business. My problem is with rewriting the laws based on zero foundation in actual law or logic. My problem is actual vocabulary being changed to meet the selfish desires of a FLEETING minority of the population. Gays were being treated EQUALLY as the laws were written. It just wasn't the equal treatment some of they thought they were entitled to.

Off my soapbox.

EDIT: And my compromise on the whole damn thing would be to get rid of marriage licenses across the board and rename them civil union contracts, and remove the gender restriction. BOOM. Get a private ceremony and call yourself married, have a ball.
edit on 13-11-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Well, THAT is from nearly 17 years ago. I'd like to think his view on the subject has changed right alongside most people who were against homosexuality.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
LGbT community should be happy to hear this news.

In an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes" aired Sunday, Trump said the issue has "been settled," adding that he personally feels about gay marriage is irrelevant. "It's law. It was settled in the Supreme Court," Trump said. "It's done. ... These cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They've been settled, and I'm fine with that."

www.thehill.com...

This quote makes me laugh so hard. I'd have to listen to his actual interview to hear his tone, but honestly, it sounds like he's not REALLY fine with it but HAS to be because the supreme Court made it law.
edit on 13-11-2016 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: PageLC14

Well, THAT is from nearly 17 years ago. I'd like to think his view on the subject has changed right alongside most people who were against homosexuality.

Does God's word change? Nope. Pence hasn't changed his his views. The Republican Nation Party platform hasn't changed its opinion or goals on the subject.

The President-elect has not released a policy plan on LGBT rights, and also has no policy plan on HIV/AIDS.

His running mate Mike Pence has confirmed a plan to dismantle Barack Obama’s protections for LGBT people, as part of an ‘immediate’ review of executive orders issued by President Obama.

Also significantly, President-elect Trump has pledged to sign the Republican-backed First Amendment Defence Act, a law that would permit forms of anti-LGBT discrimination on the grounds of religion.

In a speech to Catholic interest groups, Mr Trump confirmed he would not veto a law, which bans the government from taking any “action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that marriage is or should be recognised as the union of one man and one woman”.
www.pinknews.co.uk...

edit on 13-11-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Sorry but I can't let this one go. Gays *were* being treated by all states as far as marriage licenses went.

And....The Supreme Court ruled that the licensing process laws were unconstitutional, disallowing gays to quality for a state marriage license.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   

GOD'S word cannot change because it has already been written. But his love is never ending and was proven to us through his Son's death on the cross and resurrection. Right? Is it not also written that ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God? Folks seem to ignore how Jesus showed the essence of God's love by ignoring a person's way of life and accepting every one of us as God's children. His only "law" was to trust in him and believe that he was God's son and in doing so you will have eternal life.

Why is that so hard for people to understand!?!?

No one can CHANGE God's plan. That includes the people he created. Not even Jesus attempted to.
edit on 14-11-2016 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

So is abortion but Christians and Pence are relentless in its destruction. They will be out to destroy gay community too. Watch out.

edit on 14-11-2016 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Religion ideologies seem to have gone far beyond what is supposed to truly matter to Christians in the first place.
edit on 14-11-2016 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Why wouldn't LGBT be concerned. Trump has expressed strong interest in appointing supreme court justices to overturn the 2015 decision. He wants it to be state by state. Which of course means gay marriage would inevitably become illegal in many states again.

WALLACE: But, Mr. Trump, let's take one issue. You say now that the Supreme Court has ruled that same-sex marriage is the law of the land and that any politician who talks about wanting to amend the Constitution is just playing politics. Are you saying it's time to move on?

TRUMP: No, I'm saying this. It has been ruled up. It has been there. If I'm a, you know, if I'm elected, I would be very strong on putting certain judges on the bench that I think maybe could change things.

But they've got a long way to go. I mean at some point, we have to get back down to business. But there's no question about it. I mean most — and most people feel this way.

They have ruled on it. I wish that it was done by the state. I don't like the way they ruled. I disagree with the Supreme Court from the standpoint they should have given the state — it should be a states' rights issue. And that's the way it should have been ruled on, Chris, not the way they did it.

This is a very surprising ruling. And I — I can see changes coming down the line, frankly. But I would have much preferred that they ruled at a state level and allowed the states to make those rulings themselves.

WALLACE: But — but just to button this up very quickly, sir, are you saying that if you become president, you might try to appoint justices to overrule the decision on same-sex marriage?

TRUMP: I would strongly consider that, yes.

Snopes

Again, why wouldn't this worry the LGBT community and LGBT supporters??

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join