It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am genuinely concerned about the LGBTQ people, and what they will be facing in a Trump Presidency

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:
SM2

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: SM2

www.thedailybeast.com...

Ok, thats not an answer. First off it is all a bunch of misleading hyperbole. In the article it says "turned away from medical care" with a hyper link, So i click it and it is a big article about how gay patients don't discuss their sexual orientation with their doctors. So how is that being turned away from medical care?

Then the next link is about being fired from jobs due to their sexual orientation, so I click on that and it's an article about the Catholic Church firing gay people. Well, I agree that it is wrong, noone should be fired based on these things, however, if you read the story, it is talking about a teacher at a catholic school that refused to teach the official church approved material on same sex relationships etc. So, that is not being fired because she is a lesbian, it's fired for not doing her job.

and two more of the stories are tales of people that had previous issues that were rectified with the change to the DOMA ruling.

So again, currently, what rights are not afforded to the LGBTQ community?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I guess you didn't read this part:

LGBT people are not yet treated the same under the law and in our everyday lives. Many of us are still fired from our jobs for being LGBT, and we lack express protections against such discrimination in nearly two-thirds of the states and at the federal level. Landlords still refuse to rent apartments to gay or transgender people, yet we have little recourse in many states. And a couple filled with elation that they can finally realize the same legal rights as their opposite-sex counterparts can walk into a bakery to order their wedding cake and be told, “We don’t serve your kind here.”

Here are some stats for you:

Many LGBT people experience discrimination
when going about their daily activities–whether
eating at a restaurant with their families or friends,
trying to obtain safe, clean housing, or applying for
a loan. One study found that in 16% of cases, samesex
couples encountered discrimination when trying
to rent or buy a home, and another study found that
19% of transgender respondents had been refused a
home or apartment because of their gender identity
or expression.31 Under federal law, LGBT people are
not protected from discrimination in housing, public
accommodations, credit, or employment

best interests of children. However, for children
with LGBT parents, the law does the opposite, acting to
undermine family permanency, separate children from
loving parents, and increase family poverty rates (see
Figure 9).
For example, when a woman in a married lesbian
couple gives birth to a child, 34 states and the District
of Columbia recognize both mothers as legal parents
of the child. In the remaining states, the child is a legal
stranger to a parent who has raised him or her since birth.
Similarly, when same-sex couples form blended families
(where one parent has a child from a prior relationship),
the new parent is often barred from using simplified
stepparent adoption processes available to parents in
opposite-sex couples to secure legal ties to a stepchild.

Despite the almost 400,000 children in foster
care awaiting permanent “forever homes,”34 a number
of states still prevent same-sex couples from jointly
adopting children

www.lgbtmap.org...

Things are getting better, but it depends on the state.

The real fear, is that the progress that has been made so far will be withdrawn if conservatives take over, and things will go back to what they were 30, 40, 50 years ago.

SM2

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

ok, so again, under the law, what rights are being denied? Not from jacka^% individuals, but under the law. As you say rights are being denied, what rights under the law? As it stands, under the law lgbt people are equal as are all people. It seems they want to be specifically called out, which wont make a bit of difference really. In order for rights to be denied, there has to be laws against a specific person or group of persons to be specifically barred from exercising said right, and to my knowledge, this is not the case. As far as individuals not respecting that community, well, idiots will be idiots, nothing you can do about it except to and reach them through intelligent debate and respect...you know the same thing you ask for.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

There doesn't have to be a specific law against them for them to not be treated equally.

There was a time when a black person could legally be refused housing because he was black. He had no legal recourse. When the non-discrimination laws were put into place prohibiting discrimination due to race, the black person now has a recourse when they are turned down on the basis of race.

It depends on the states, but many states do not include sexual orientation or gender identity as protected from discrimination. So in those states, a gay person or a transgender person could get refused housing simply on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity and they would have no legal recourse.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: SM2

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Tekaran
I think some are afraid they will no longer be in the "Limelight". A lot feel like they deserve special treatment. Maybe it's an attention thing.

Equal Rights is NOT special treatment or an attention thing.

In many states you can refuse housing, fire someone from their job, refuse service, etc - - just because they are LGBT.

show some proof of that please. Show me where you can refuse housing or employment based on sexual preference.

Here Are The 32 States Where You Can Be Fired For Being LGBT

West Virginia has no law preventing a landlord from turning down a potential tenant simply because he or she is gay. In fact, 30 states have no such law, including Ohio and Kentucky.
www.care2.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

"In a statement, Trump confirmed he would sign the so-called First Amendment Defence Act, which bans the government from taking any “action against a person, wholly or partially on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that marriage is or should be recognised as the union of one man and one woman, or that sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.”The broadly written law would effectively legalise all discrimination against LGBT people in all sectors – from employment to retail to healthcare – as long as the person discriminating claims it was due to their religion.The shocking move would require the repeal of Barack Obama’s landmark LGBT discrimination protections, which Trump also confirmed he would axe. www.pinknews.co.uk/…

In July the GOP adopted a new platform. As reported in The Washington Blade The 2016 platform contains opposition to same-sex marriage, the platform also objects to use of federal law to ensure transgender people can use the restroom consistent with their gender identity, indicates support for widely discredited “ex-gay” conversion therapy and endorses the First Amendment Defense Act, a “religious freedom” bill that would enable anti-LGBT discrimination.

In addition to opposition to same-sex marriage, the platform also objects to use of federal law to ensure transgender people can use the restroom consistent with their gender identity, indicates support for widely discredited “ex-gay” conversion therapy and endorses the First Amendment Defense Act, a “religious freedom” bill that would enable anti-LGBT discrimination.www.washingtonblade.com/..."
www.dailykos.com...

Here is the First Amendment Defense Act that Trump and Pence promised push into law.

First Amendment Defense Act Prohibits the federal government from taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that:
(1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or
(2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.

Defines "discriminatory action" as any federal government action to discriminate against a person with such beliefs or convictions, including a federal government action to:
alter the federal tax treatment of, cause any tax, penalty, or payment to be assessed against, or deny, delay, or revoke certain tax exemptions of any such person;
disallow a deduction of any charitable contribution made to or by such person; withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any federal grant, contract, subcontract, cooperative agreement, loan, license, certification, accreditation, employment, or similar position or status from or to such person; or
withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or
otherwise deny any benefit under a federal benefit program.

Requires the federal government to consider to be accredited, licensed, or certified for purposes of federal law any person who would be accredited, licensed, or certified for such purposes but for a determination that the person believes or acts in accordance with such a religious belief or moral conviction.

Permits a person to assert an actual or threatened violation of this Act as a claim or defense in a judicial or administrative proceeding and to obtain compensatory damages or other appropriate relief against the federal government.

Authorizes the Attorney General to bring an action to enforce this Act against the Government Accountability Office or an establishment in the executive branch, other than the U.S. Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, that is not an executive department, military department, or government corporation.

Defines "person" as any person regardless of religious affiliation, including corporations and other entities regardless of for-profit or nonprofit status.
www.congress.gov...

This act is a move to circumvent States' rights and make LGBT discrimination federally protected across the nation. Do you see why the LGBT community is worried now?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Science says exactly that. You determine gender via chromosomes. Its just the way it is.

Its not antiquated. Its the facts. XX is woman. Denying this is why this whole conversation is so effed up to begin with. Instead of just saying, "Hey, i am free to do what i want, if you don't like it don't look" people have gone trying to shoehorn it into science.

Psychology is not science. I have respect for psychology...but it isn't science. Even though it may seem such often.

If you are going to deny that XX/XY determines gender, ill need to see what you're basing this on.

I, personally, believe our chromosomes pretty much lay it out there. Scientifically, your gender is determined by X and Y.

gen·der
ˈjendər/Submit
noun
the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
"traditional concepts of gender"

The purpose of the word Gender is to be politically correct. Karyotypes and physical sex are irrelevant. The people that argue Trans are using this word wrong, are wrong themselves. The word Sex is to be physically accurate to genitalia, not Gender. Someone can have Male sex, and female Gender, nothing is wrong with this.

There are also more than 2 karyotypes. X/XXY/XXXY/XXXXY are all real chromosomal disorders that do no result in a 'new' gender. The point of mentioning this is that Karyotypes are not what determinate your gender in all of these cases, social norms are, just like Transgender.

That being said XX Male Syndrome is literally someone with XX Chromosomes, and a Penis. I hope that's enough to blow a hole in anyones doubts that karyotypes are least important when speaking about Gender.

There is a specific reason the Dictionary mentions the part in Bold. Anyone that disagree's is plainly wrong between these examples and the Dictionary. If you want to make sure Karyotypes are incorporated into your word, use "Sex" not "Gender" it's that simple, and also more accurate to what you're trying to say about the biological connection. Don't go around correcting people using "Gender" correctly, just because you confuse it with the purpose of the word "Sex".

--------------
Also, at the end of the day, Karyotypes do not exclusively determinate behavior or brain development. There are 3 separate cycles in Pregnancy where the Brain and genitalia are all separately developed, and then the brain is also "programmed". You were literally a female yourself at a moment of your life. If you don't believe there can be a discrepancy in so many separate processes, you just need to look at more systems theory.
edit on 11-11-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

any person who would be accredited, licensed, or certified for such purposes but for a determination that the person believes or acts in accordance with such a religious belief or moral conviction.

This part implies a Union of Church and State.

The entire thing is unconstitutional, and the outrage should be held by more than just LGBT, however with them as a specific target, it's seems to have fallen on them to draw this observation.

Had this not be discriminatory towards Gay people, your Liberty Seeking Right would instantly be pointing out the hypocrisy in this.

Islamic's can now deny service because you're an infidel. A bunch of idiot gay people have already created a "Gay Religion" specifically to discriminate against Christians using these same new laws.

It's a bad idea on every level, and obviously "Treating people Equally" would have been the better path.
edit on 11-11-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

...any person who would be accredited, licensed, or certified for such purposes but for a determination that the person believes or acts in accordance with such a religious belief or moral conviction.

This part implies a Union of Church and State.

I was trying to make sense of that section. It looks to me like the government would appoint a person to decide of the claimant's claim is legitimately religious. Slippery slope!

Here's another slippery slope!

(1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or
(2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.

So now someone can be discriminated against for being pregnant out of wedlock, or "shacking up" or being in a sexually active relationship, scoring a one night stand????

Crazy Town USA!

edit on 11-11-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hermit777
a reply to: Annee

just realize you will have defenders from what you think are strange quarters too.

and that article that YUPPA just linked to is important.

Never understood why it was not LGBHTQ

Very good article.

I like how they explained it.

I liked the article too. Now if we can get all the dummies in power to actually understand it.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Hermit777
a reply to: Annee

just realize you will have defenders from what you think are strange quarters too.

and that article that YUPPA just linked to is important.

Never understood why it was not LGBHTQ

Very good article.

I like how they explained it.

I liked the article too. Now if we can get all the dummies in power to actually understand it.

I fear for that.

As I've said - - Trump cares about what Trump cares about.

If "delegate" wasn't already a word - - he'd invent it.

Who he's pulling in and who's already salivating to get their claws into some of these issues - - - is damn scary.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

Can you show me some stats that transgender people have been attacked more than anyone in bathrooms? Ever?I believe that comment to be completely false.

I would wager that young boys and girls and cis women have historically been attacked more. I could be wrong.

To add: I don't have any issue with whoever in whatever restroom at all.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

They asked for proof that it is happening, not where it *could* happen.

Example please. And only "fired for being gay," nothing else please. Exclude code of conduct violations, breach of religious contract, sexual harassment, etc. I want to see pure unadulterated "Boss hates gays" stories.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I guess you didn't read this part:

Lots of anecdotes

LGBT people are not yet treated the same under the law and in our everyday lives. Many of us are still fired from our jobs for being LGBT,

Where? Examples?

and we lack express protections against such discrimination in nearly two-thirds of the states and at the federal level. Landlords still refuse to rent apartments to gay or transgender people,

Where? Do they refuse rent to others too?

yet we have little recourse in many states. And a couple filled with elation that they can finally realize the same legal rights as their opposite-sex counterparts can walk into a bakery to order their wedding cake and be told, “We don’t serve your kind here.”

When has any business owner refused service specifically because they are gay and no other reason? Every case I have heard of says they will serve the gay's needs for everything but same sex unions. In fact, they *had* been serving their needs previous while knowing fully that the customer was gay. For years, even.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: windword

They asked for proof that it is happening, not where it *could* happen.

No they didn't:
"show some proof of that please. Show me where you can refuse housing or employment based on sexual preference."

Denied Housing Because of ‘The Gay Thing'

edit on 11-11-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

I worked overnight at an internet startup in the late 90's. At the end of my shift my boss came in, said he needed to speak with me, and told me that I was terminated and had my accumulated pay, vacation pay and a severance all in one check. He stated that the new boss, a good ole boy from Kentucky, had problems with my work. I was never late, I did my job and even worked a bunch of hours for no pay to help the company. I had to sign a paper that said I would not try to get unemployment or contest the termination to get the severance. I was young and a few thousand dollars was a lot of money so I didn't bat an eye.

The next day, one of my friends was let go. Then another. A total of 5 people laid off from different departments, all of us gay. Excuses were laid out, and all of us were urged to sign a document to prevent any further lawful actions.

We ended up consulting a lawyer, and we found out we didn't have a leg to stand on even if we didn't sign the paper. There weren't any protections that said he couldn't fire us for being gay even though we did our work and made the company money. And we found out from the other employees that were still there that he did fire us because we were gay.

The company went under about a year later because of all the people that left once they found out why he let us all go.

Is that what you were looking for?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
for straig you are not worried? about the women in a toilet with trans and perverts, the children who see gay parades, white men whose jobs gave fagot and color?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

well I haven't found a girl to mary.. and the bathroom thing is silly imo

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: imjack
Pence signed the Bathroom Bills. It's convenient you draw a line at a 'bathroom issue' but offer no solution.

The amount of additional details in the scenario you skip are astounding.

What about Trans people who transitioned at young age? To the point it's completely unrecognizable they've changed Gender?

What about Female-Male trans people? The issue isn't just male perverts.

You can paint our community that way all you want(perverts), it simply makes you a biggot. You can cry your special snowflake story all you want about how you're unable to protect your grandaughter in the bathrooms. More Transgender have been assaulted in bathrooms than anyone else, and mostly by Men who talk just like you.

You just assume she will be assaulted by gay people. You speak like you would kill someone over your granddaughter sharing a room with another human being. What are they afraid of? You dumbass.
The solution is simple. Private companies decide their own bathroom policies. Government establishments do the governmental thing and offer an additional bathroom option or two. It's not bigoted to want to preserve one's own longstanding customs anymore than it is to want to establish new customs. Don't like it? Tough. Welcome to reality where the world doesn't revolve around you and things don't always go your way. Start your own thing and set your own policies.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: angrypsycho1977

That's a crazy name i like it lol

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join