It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Calexit: Should California be forced to remain part of the U.S. against the will of its people?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
As someone who has been cast as "undereducated" because I choose to live as far from major cities as I can to increase my odds of being left the F alone (despite not voting for trump...or clinton) :

As someone who has seen first hand how the migration of Californians into Colorado had severely damaged their economy with the Californian policies they brought with them- to the point where one now has to pay extortionate amounts of money for "wilderness camping", i.e. people, packs, and little else..(imho this is one of the reasons herb was legalized there; they were running out of tax money to waste) :

Last, as a native Texan - my answer is no, you should not be held in the union against your will; and should the people of California decide to take measures to secede - May you go from us in peace. I wish you all the best.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

What about all the tech money, the tourism, the wine industry, the movie industry and all the rest of it?

Money itself is not the issue.

It's the fact that California, can't supply it's own food, it's own electricity. It has no means to be self reliant.

California is mostly broke anyway, considering it's social programs and debt

So how does a state, seceded and become it's own 'nation' if it doesn't have the means to sustain itself without relying on the rest of the Union?

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Forgetting All that sweet sweet weed tax that they are and will be getting

And isn't this democracy in action? what part of democracy is it trying to subvert?
edit on 10-11-2016 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Personally I hope they do. 55 less electoral votes for the libtard machine. Without CA, the dems will never be elected again....

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Never happen Trump won several counties in California problem was the los Angeles area went overwhelmingly for Clinton and has as large a population as the rest of the state or close anyway. There are many Californians that wish they could evict los Angeles from the state. But I will say most American's would have no problem with California leaving but it would guarantee democrats never won another election one of those unintended consequences.

Id bet they could get republicans to go for it but I cant think of a single democrat that would allow it.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: aivlas

Forgetting All that sweet sweet weed tax that they are and will be getting

And isn't this democracy in action? what part of democracy is it trying to subvert?

It's idiocy in action. Great country they would be without the ability to:

1.Feed it's own people
2.Keep the lights on
3.Pay it's social services and public services without Federal Rebates.
4.Gives back all the federal land, buildings, military facilities equipment back to the fed.
5.Have to buy all that stuff again.
6.Create trade agreements, new fly zones, all kinds of other administrative things that take usually several years to accomplish.

It's not actually feasible. There's like 1 or two states in the US that could do this, Texas is one of them, I think the other is Colorado but I'm not sure, and that's based on the fact that they produce enough food and energy to feed their own populations without the need of outside assistance.

Until you have that, it's IMPOSSIBLE to be autonomous, which is the whole point of being your own country.

And just for good measure, the USA is NOT a democracy, it's a republic.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The Civil War is not the only example from American History. Many New England states threatened secession during Jacksons Louisiana Purchase (since he made the deal in secret without congressional approval, and since all of these new westward states were going to be settled by mostly people from the rising Democrat-Republican party, not the declining Federalist party.) If you read up on the Hartford convention you will see that this feeling persisted through the war of 1812 as well. The Northeast was tired of the constant warring with England.

Texas vs. White went to the Supreme Court in 1869, it rejected as untenable the case for any constitutional right of secession. It ruled that the government in Texas had no legal right to secede and therefore never really left the Union.

More recently, there was an attempt by Staten Island to break away from New York City in the late 1980s and early 1990s, leading to a 1993 referendum, in which 65% voted to secede. Implementation was blocked in the State Assembly by assertions that the state's constitution required a home rule message from New York City.

You also had the Republic of the Conch down in the Keys a few years back, I think that was more of a tourist stunt though.

The Phillipines are the only territory/state that has successfully achieved independence from the Union. they were a US territory for almost 50 years before the treaty of Manilla gave them their independence.

I personally believe that state government should Trump (pun not intended) the federal government on any issue. I also believe that if the Federal government and the state government clash on laws or regulations, then that state has the right to govern itself much like the US did with Britain in the Revolutionary war. I don't think they see it that way though.

Lincoln said this in 1846;

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right, a right, which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government, may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize and make their own, of so much of the territory as they inhabit".

www.plpow.com...

A bit of Irony there.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I honestly do not think you are going to be waiting a couple hundred years. More like a matter of decades, really. The social, political, and economic trends of this country are going to push it that way, and not just for the West Coast, either. After Chump's done, we are likely to get another liberal nightmare as the tides shift again, and once again, the red states will all start bitching and threatening to overthrow the evil Democratic tyrants.

No matter which way the tides shift, each time they do, they just shake the cracks in the foundation deeper, and before you know it, it's all tumbling down.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Have they cut down on the massive supply of fruit and veg they grow?
Have they stopped selling excess power?
The 400 billion debt is worrying

I'm sure masterX will be glad to hear that.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   

It doesn't need to, because a Cal-Exit would bring the entire West Coast with it. And believe me, between Oregon and Washington, and eventually British Columbia because they idea is popular up there, too. So basically, you are talking about the entire West Coast becoming a country. So we are going to have zero problems out here in terms of feeding, powering, trading, and defending ourselves.

On top of this, you have both Alaska and Hawaii, and while both are no where near us, both are states that have their own long standing independence movements from the U.S.

This isn't just California. This is a snowball effect that could end up an avalanche.

California is not alone here.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: aivlas

Fruit and veggies don't feed a populace, you need protein. And the Kale isn't going to do it lol

Excess power? They just paid 750 million back to Canada for Hydro they were late on. As of 2014 they were still importing 30% of their energy needs an only about 20% of their entire energy porfolio was self sustaining renewable.

They are getting there mind you, but they collect far too much in subsidies from the Fed gov for a variety of programs to make it own their own yet.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Well that's more interesting and much more feasible.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I would personally pay them to leave if I could. But as far as should they be allowed, yes they should. I believe any state should be allowed to leave if they want. And it shouldn't take a hundred freaking years. You want to leave, take a vote, sign a few papers and go.

I honestly believe every state should be in control of themselves. The only purpose of Federal Govt should be defense. Laws, policies, funding everything else should be state to state. If liberals want to run a state The way they run California let them. It should have zero impact on anyone outside that state and no Federal laws should be made that affect anyone outside of that state. If conservatives want to run states like the way they run Texas (used to anyway) then let them. It should have zero impact on anyone outside of that state.

Individual states that run themselves but are protected by a small but focused Federal Govt that exists for the sole purpose of protecting those states. You live in a state that represents what you believe and aren't suppressed by an entire country that has to fall in line behind a huge oppressive Fed Govt ruling the masses. That's freedom.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

They don't but they can be exported

Ok my reading failed, they are paying for the excess energy to be taken, seems like they are missing something there but then solar is not exactly stable.

edit on 10-11-2016 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
They will split off after the "Big One" earthquake of 2018.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

I hear you, I moved to northern Wisconsin from downstate, wish we could drop the bottom half of the state ad well. Same situation here, north end is full of hard working people who depend on themselves. Everything south of eau Claire is liberal sjw land, in love with living off the government tit.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This won't happen, but anyone who wants them to leave is honestly just plain stupid. There's no nice way to put it. To even suggest that this is what someone would want is brain dead and perhaps one of the most selfish things a person could say.

Losing California would destroy the American economy. It's not even remotely funny or intelligent to suggest that we would be better off if they left. Wow the stupidity here is shocking.

These are our people. Love them for better or worse.

Tbh, can we get rid of all the people who refuse to accept the differences of others?

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Please leave us California.

Then we can treat you like a foreign country and invade you and let corporations and bankers exploit your resources.... After we bomb your cities and kill a bunch of you.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: aivlas

Fruit and veggies don't feed a populace, you need protein. And the Kale isn't going to do it lol

Excess power? They just paid 750 million back to Canada for Hydro they were late on. As of 2014 they were still importing 30% of their energy needs an only about 20% of their entire energy porfolio was self sustaining renewable.

They are getting there mind you, but they collect far too much in subsidies from the Fed gov for a variety of programs to make it own their own yet.

~Tenth

Are you high?

Fruits and veggies do feed the populace. Protein does not lolololol. You don't even understand human nutrition.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
As a lifelong non-Californian.... I would 100% support booting California the hell out of the USA. I'd prefer if they built a wall along their border too. And had to have passports to visit.

Pretty sure a majority of non-Cali's feel the same way.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join