It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Child Killers Death Penalty Overturned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The U.S. Sixth Circuit Court Of Appeals has overturned the death penalty conviction of Kenneth T. Richey, Richey, convicted for the killing of a 2 year old girl, will have to be retried in 90 days or be released. In overturning the conviction, the court pointed to incompetent legal council. The state of Ohio is review its options.

story.news.yahoo.com[/url ]
CINCINNATI - A federal appeals court on Tuesday overturned the death sentence of a dual U.S.-British citizen convicted of killing a 2-year-old girl by starting a fire in his ex-girlfriend's apartment building, casting doubt on the evidence against him.

A three-judge panel of the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 that Kenneth T. Richey received incompetent legal counsel at his 1986 trial and directed a lower court to order Ohio to retry him within 90 days or release him.

Richey, 40, maintained he did not start the fire that killed Cynthia Collins in the northwest Ohio town of Columbus Grove, but acknowledged he was intoxicated that night and did not remember everything that happened.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, hopefully they try him and find him guilty or innocent based on the evidence presented. If he is truly innocent, then he will be set free. This is why these guys get so many appeals. However, the attorney that represented him should bear some form of censure for not doing his or her job either.

[edit on 1/25/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There are a lot of these cases that I believe are wrongly charged. For instance, in this one, it very much sounds as if manslaughter would have been a "give me" charge. Why did they go for murder?

I think, when things involve children, that is so psychologically upsetting to the prosecutors that they tend to let their emotions lead them instead of their sense. I know I would be greatly affected if I had to be involved in a prosecution that involved a 2 year old little girl getting burned to death. Maybe prosecutors should adopt a cooling off period after these highly-charged, emotional incidences have occurred.

Or maybe they should start pinging un-involved prosecuting offices in other cities so they can get some objective feedback.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
On the other side, if it was my two yr old, id want the bastard fried!
Of course i would have to have sufficient evidence the fire was started by the perp, and was deliberate. Very testy cases indeed. Emotion naturally comes to the fore. Hard to beleive a perp innocent under certain circumstances. You wonder why any "accused" IS "accused" if they are totally innocent?
Cases dont get prosecuted on no evidence or connextion to the "accused" what so ever, do they?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Well, hopefully they try him and find him guilty or innocent based on the evidence presented. If he is truly innocent, then he will be set free. This is why these guys get so many appeals. However, the attorney that represented him should bear some form of censure for not doing his or her job either.

[edit on 1/25/05 by FredT]

I've got two letters for you. OJ. Guilty as David Burkowitz.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Valhall,
I don't think it is emotion on the part of DAs,
The public gets emotional and the DA takes political advantage of it.
Sometimes the horror of a crime convinces people to convict when the evidence is either shakey or not even there.

new topics

top topics

join