It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Ladies; Get Your Birth Control NOW While You Still Can

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

where are you getting the $10 from??? birth control bills cost somewhere between $30 and $50 dollars if paying out of pocket. and why should your insurance policy cover them.....(you pay for them)??

ya, the family is strapped for cash!!! hanging by a thread.... but hey, they are holding their own, and are responsible enough to have an insurance policy! He goes to work everyday, she stays home and cares for the children, they pay taxes, and ya know what question they are asking themselves as their neighbor across the street takes their snotty nosed kid to the doctor for the fifth time this month just to make sure the child is okay?? they're wondering why that have to pay for that mother's peace of mind while he's driving a car illegally every morning just to get to work because it's brakes are crap and won't pass inspection, and shes sacrificing meals for birth control!!
why should you just accept that you insurance policy covers birth control.. (pay for her birth control)....
because, if you add another child to that family, it might be just enough for them to fall into those welfare programs and then you might be wondering why you are paying for her child's visits to the doctor to ease her mind, ensuring that she never has to skip another meal, and maybe even be helping out with her rent!!

is that a good enough reason for you!

I live in Pennsylvania with a wife and two late teen daughters. We pay for the pill for my daughters out of pocket...not covered by insurance. $9.99 per month each...has been for years. The Doctor renews it over the phone. No office visit...no bill.

You can debate me all you wish, but I don't think one person's birth control should be paid by someone else. I also don't think one person's child should be paid for by someone else, etc. There are exceptions...but other than those, you have choices. You can use rubbers, pay $10 per month (33 cents per day by the way) and if you can't afford a child...don't have one.

It is not the people's responsibility to pay for every choice people make. Especially bad choices. Now...I'm talking medical insurance. There are likely times when paying for a crack whore's birth control is better than paying for her latest tax deduction and meal ticket...but that shouldn't be part of medical insurance either.

We are arguing over 33 cents per day....my couch has more than that. Take some personal responsibility, learn that your actions may cost you and make educated decisions. And if you don't...YOU deal with the repercussions. Your failures aren't my responsibility. I pay for my daughter's birth control...that is what a parent does. You pay for yours.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

I agree with you about obamacare being crap, and, quite frankly just because you make a law saying everyone has to have doesn't mean that everyone is gonna go out and buy it, not when a good part of the problem in the pre-obamacare healthcare system was that no one could afford it!!! once a year, the insurance company would come and have a chat with my old boss. and as the years went by, I could actually see by his face when he walked out of the room that it was getting harder for him to work out a decent health plan for us that was affordable to his company. and, we'd all meet in the next day or two for him to give us the bad news. it wasn't that he didn't want to provide us decent insurance, it was that it was just unaffordable. the last meeting before I quite was a really heated meeting. we had one of our employees develop a brain tumor. the services that were available in the plan weren't the best that that were available and she wanted to go out of that little circle of healthcare providers that the insurance wanted us to stay in. well, they denied her. weather she would have lived longer if she had been able to persue the care she wanted was irrelevant to my boss... at that point she should have had a free choice to chose her care and the insurance company should have backed her on it. he was irked and he let the insurance reps know about it. I think our deductable doubled that year and the co-pay increased, and well so didn't the companies, and ours premium costs.

but what you are saying is that since you don't have a brain tumor and have no intention of ever getting a brain tumor, why should you have to have an insurance that covers brain cancer?? heck, if a brain tumor ever comes up, you can get coverage then.

ya know what, there is one thing that I know I will never come down with.... sickle cell anemia!!! but I bet every health insurance plan covers it.

the cost of childbirth in this country is close to $10,000, if it's a c-section it's close to $16,000. if that baby is born premature, that cost could be as high as a million bucks!!!

considering what I already said about the danger to both mother and infant when babies are spaced to closely together.... it is cheaper in the long run to make birth control easily available.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Why are there still abortions? Abortions should be so rare that when one happens it should be a sad day and reported on the news.

There really is no reason to have an abortion today with everything that is available to prevent getting pregnant. imo

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

www.planetdrugsdirect.com...

three month supply, $114.99, works out to around $38.33 a month...

and.... if your doctor is just phoning her prescription in every year without her coming in for yearly checkups, he's not a good doctor!!!

edit on 12-11-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Roughly 47% of non-pregnant women and 60% of pregnant women have anemia worldwide, and including iron deficiency without anaemia the figures may approach 60 and 90% respectively. In the industrial world as a whole, anemia prevalence during pregnancy averages 18%, and over 30% of these populations suffer from iron deficiency. The poor are more affected.

The high risk of women of fertile age and pregnant women for incurring negative balance and iron deficiency is due to their increased iron needs because of menstruation and the substantial iron demands of pregnancy. Median requirements of absorbed iron are estimated to be 1.36 and 1.73 mg per day among adult and teen-age menstruating females. However, 15% of adult menstruating women require more than 2.0 mg per day, and 5% require as much as 2.84 mg per day. The superimposition of menstrual losses and growth in menstruating teenage girls increases the demands for absorbed iron; 30% need to absorb more than 2.0 mg of iron per day; 10% as much as 2.65 mg, and 5% 3.21 mg. These requirements are very difficult, if not impossible to satisfy even with good quality, iron-fortified diets.

Birth spacing favours iron nutrition among fertile-age women because each pregnancy has a high cost in terms of iron (see below). However, the use of intrauterine devices almost doubles the iron menstrual loss while women using anovulatory contraceptive methods reduce it by almost half. Importantly, multiparous women tend to have greater menstrual losses that increase with parity.

www.unsystem.org...

by what I've read, since the election there has been alot of calls to planned parenthood and gyn/ob offices from panicked women wanting IUD devices... since they are longer lasting that the pill is...
so, they are opting for something that is going to double their need for iron and discarding their not so long lasting hormonal methods, which if I am reading this right, reduces the need by half and those who who've given birth two or more times have more iron loss because of menestration which increases as the number of births increase.

okay, now let's look at what happens when pregnant.

Iron needs exhibit a marked increase during the second and especially during the third trimesters when median daily needs increase up to an average of 5.6 mg per day (that is, 4.1 mg above median pre-pregnancy needs). The approximate range would be 3.54 and 8.80 mg per day. This amount of absorbed iron needs cannot be met from food iron even if iron fortification is in place. Thus the importance of two factors: pre-pregnancy iron reserves upon which to draw; and iron supplementation during pregnancy.

(same source)

This is why one of the first things a doctor will do when they know you are pregnant is give you either a bottle of folic acid, or a prescription. in each of my pregnancies, it was planned parenthood that gave me a bottle of them!

and, I'll leave the rest of the article for whoever has interest to read it since I am sure that ain't nothing I am gonna say is going to change anyone's mind about the issue.
just know that that little bottle of folic acid can be what stands between having a healthy baby and a baby with severe birth defects, very costly birth defects, that I am sure your insurance, medicaid, chips, will be paying for, or well maybe the hospital will just write if off and you can be paying for it the next time you visit the hospital.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have no love for the insurance companies. But until or unless you open their books, look at their income...their expenses, etc., I can't comment on if they make too much or are screwing people. A fair statement is that healthcare it too expensive. But maybe it has to be.

But on that note...insurance and medical professions are businesses. They do their work and exist to earn an income and profit. We sit back and say things like "You have to take pre-existing condition patients". Really? That is a guaranteed loss so where does that loss get offset? Or does it get offset? We have no right to demand things that we don't even know the cost of.

Some of you act like the insurance company owes us something. You're wrong if you do. Until Obama...you weren't forced to by insurance. They take the average cost to them, add in their expenses, add in a profit and come up with your bill...basically. But some act like they owe us.

So we tell the insurance company who they must insure. Really? How about this then...do I also get to tell them how much to spend? If I get cancer and treatments aren't going well. Do I get to tell them...too bad! I demand you personally hire the smartest people in the world, build them a huge research facility, hire as many people as you have to and pay them and come up with a cure before I expire in six months? Of course not...right? But then how can we demand they take a guaranteed loss by taking a pre-existing condition.

That simply doesn't make sense to me. Here's my car that needs $5000 in repairs. I want you to give me insurance for $100 per month and then fix my $5000 worth of repairs. Yeah...in what world?

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: nomadone407
Why are there still abortions? Abortions should be so rare that when one happens it should be a sad day and reported on the news.

There really is no reason to have an abortion today with everything that is available to prevent getting pregnant. imo

I hate to tell you this, but in some demographics...abortion is still used AS birth control. But no...no where near by a huge percentage. Probably about the same percentage of people who decide to have a baby to increase their benefits.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

www.planetdrugsdirect.com...

three month supply, $114.99, works out to around $38.33 a month...

and.... if your doctor is just phoning her prescription in every year without her coming in for yearly checkups, he's not a good doctor!!!

Don't know what to tell you. This is from Planned Parenthood's website.

"Take a pill each day to prevent pregnancy
Safe, effective, and convenient
Easy to get with a prescription
Cost about $0–$50 each month"

And here is Google

"On average, 5 out of every 100 women who rely on birth control pills get pregnant each year. The Cost: According to Planned Parenthood, birth control pills cost between $15 to $50 a month, depending on health-insurance coverage and type of pill. On an annual basis, that means the Pill costs between $160 to $600."

Even at $600 per year...that is less than $2 per day.

And the phone in...the Dr. asks a few questions including if they want to make a visit. If they are healthy, having no problems, etc. they can elect to skip the appointment. Basically the same thing they do in the Dr. office DURING a visit.
edit on 11/12/2016 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The Cost: According to Planned Parenthood, birth control pills cost between $15 to $50 a month, depending on health-insurance coverage and type of pill.

okay... let's look at that...
first if you have an insurance policy, they will bill your insurance policy and you will only pay for the rest of that $50 that isn't covered. they also adjust the charge according to income, which means that if what the insurance doesn't pay, is more than their little income charge says you should be paid, you will be charged according to the income chart.
but, planned parenthood buys large quantities of birth control at a time and gets a big discount because of that so, they can charge less for it than my local drug store can.

but, they're trying real hard to kill planned parenthood also aren't they?

but, I am talking about the real cost of things, since I am quite used to being told I don't qualify for any kind of assistance regardless of the situation. especially when it comes to healthcare. I don't even ask anymore.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

The Cost: According to Planned Parenthood, birth control pills cost between $15 to $50 a month, depending on health-insurance coverage and type of pill.

okay... let's look at that...
first if you have an insurance policy, they will bill your insurance policy and you will only pay for the rest of that $50 that isn't covered. they also adjust the charge according to income, which means that if what the insurance doesn't pay, is more than their little income charge says you should be paid, you will be charged according to the income chart.
but, planned parenthood buys large quantities of birth control at a time and gets a big discount because of that so, they can charge less for it than my local drug store can.

but, they're trying real hard to kill planned parenthood also aren't they?

but, I am talking about the real cost of things, since I am quite used to being told I don't qualify for any kind of assistance regardless of the situation. especially when it comes to healthcare. I don't even ask anymore.

I was slightly taken back by your last sentence. I'm curious why you don't quality for any kind of assistance...but not my business I guess.

I have been rich and poor and I'm not one of those whiners that cries about every bump in the road so I have some experience with this. What I can tell you about expenses (like the pill for example) is that you have two things to consider...money and time. You can spend more of one, to retain more of the other. You can buy pills for $50 per month if you want and save yourself some time. But you can also find the lowest price, check for coupons, check about generics, drive a little further and spend a lot less.

I'm fully in favor of birth control but I am even more in favor of personal responsibility. There is a huge difference when you accomplish or pay for something yourself versus it being given to you. The value of what you are getting...the cost of what it takes to get it and the (as small as it may be) pride in handling it yourself. Look at this liberal society with people who cry, whine and want counseling because they don't get their way. Look at the killing of Heroes so that everyone gets a trophy. We have degraded pride and that feeling of success...of working hard. I see kids applying for jobs all the time that want the job...but don't want to do any work. THIS is what that mentality brings. A bunch of fat, flaccid babies that think everyone owes them everything and that they have no responsibility in the world.

If it weren't so freakin' annoying...it would be quite sad.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

No, what i'm saying is that why should i have to be stuck with coverage for IUDs, and BC pills, when i'm literally NEVER going to need them?

ANYONE can get cancer, ANYONE can get ALS, ANYONE can get Parkinson's....I have no issue with having a plan that covers those sorts of conditions that ANYONE can get..

What i have an issue with, is having to pay for things that SHOULD be optional..

It's kinda like buying a car, and having a bunch of extras tacked on, that i don't want or need, and not being able to delete them.

I'm not saying HMO's shouldn't cover these things...i'm saying it shouldn't hafta have it be a mandatory extra on MY plan...
edit on 11-12-2016 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
No. .....As in It's covered. Is your diabetes or cancer free?

Free to contract, yes.....not so much to treat...

Right. I can't opt out of your brother's knee surgery, to fix the injury he got on Thanksgiving playing football in the park after a few beers, either!

The two are not even close to analogous, and if you think they are, then you are quite delusional.

You don't have a line item on your policy that says "knee surgery for Daedalus' drunken dullard of a brother", do you?

Family planning is a public health issue that the government has a very valid interest in.

Interest, perhaps....legal authority for involvement? absolutely not.

This all comes down to the proper role of government.

Great! We agree. I love being able to end on a high note!

We agree on SOME things..

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Now you've gone and done it....

You've mentioned that pesky "personal responsibility"....not just once, but twice now...

Expect much wailing, and gnashing of teeth..

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

well, luckily, I am post menopause and well, although I wouldn't say lucky, I am also a widow, so I don't need birth control pills or foresee that need in the future.
but, got to tell you something, if getting the things I need requires me to travel to another city for it...lol....
forget it, I don't even drive across town anymore, my feet start cramping up and doing weird things and I start doubting my ability to drive safely.
and, I am a widow, with grown children, when my husband died, I was unofficially disabled in that I could never get the medical records I would need to prove I was disabled because the bills that were accumulating got to be too much long before any diagnosis was made.
so I didn't have an income and my husband really didn't have much saved up. guess what...
there is no assistance for you in that situation except maybe a little in food stamps and some help with your electricity and that's only if you can keep a roof over your head. it took me many phone calls and a little under a year before I actually managed to get a little money coming in through SSI. and now I am a disabled widow, drawing on my husband's social security.
had someone call me the other day, they gave me a quote for health insurance, which as far as I can see, I still don't qualify for any help, me, alone.....$400 a month.... lol...ya sure, the lady is insane!
which really is okay with me, I will probably live a little longer without the crappy healthcare that is motivated more to make you sick and keep your sick than to actually do anything to make you well.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus

Now you've gone and done it....

You've mentioned that pesky "personal responsibility"....not just once, but twice now...

Expect much wailing, and gnashing of teeth..

Yeah...I'm DANGEROUS!!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
@dawnstar

Seriously...sorry for your sad story. There should be some consideration for exceptions such as yours. On a more comical, political and potentially interesting point...Obamacare requires you to have insurance or pay a fine. How much is your fine for nothing in return?

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

my point is that the one's who would be affected when it comes to weather or not health insurance should be covering birth control ARE being responsible. they have a job that is paying enough for them to have the healthcare, they have enough sense to know that a pregnancy isn't the best think in their present situation, they are paying taxes...
which by the way.... if paying for that single mom down the street with her six kids, seventh on the way, who doesn't care the least bit about birth control to have a roof over their head, food on the table and all kinds of healthcare for her and the little ones!
yous keep pointing to the irresponsible and griping, but then ignoring the responsible ones that are struggling to make ends meet, who don't really have that many lifelines out there to grab a hold of if they have to, and trying so hard to take those lifelines away from them. because they are just "so irresponsible!!!"

which, in my case has caused a perfectly good screen printer, who was at least making more than minimum wage to become what you seem to dispise so much!! someone handicapped who can't even drive across town with a clear conscious!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
since it was passed, even when my husband was alive, we've been exempt. our income was low enough that they'd just refer us to the medicaid office thinking that our state had expanded medicaid, which well, I believe we live in the same state, so you know, they didn't. if there is no insurance out there that they consider to be affordable to you, then well, medicaid was suppose to pick you up, but then not all states liked that idea.

edit on 12-11-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I was wrong, we don't life in the same state, sorry about that one.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Jesus Christ - I can't read all this nonsense. I only know this - you are worried about a CHOICE IN YOUR HEALTH CARE???

Guess what - that is lifestyle - not healthcare. Do you have a clue how many of us since ACA went into place no longer have screening for Mammograms and Dexa Scans?

THAT IS WORTH CRYING OVER - I kid you not. SMH!

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join