It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ladies; Get Your Birth Control NOW While You Still Can

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
FYI...I would support Planned Parenthood under one simple condition. They split into two organizations. One that treats women and one that performs abortions. A few rules...one can't refer "patients" to the other. I would then fund the one organization federally and NOT fund the abortion provider. Of course...there would have to be some provable protections to assure they aren't working in unison.

The sheer fact that PP makes most of its money from funding and from abortion services, it is suspect that it takes in women at one stage and could be financially suspect of funneling them to the other for financial gain.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy

originally posted by: dismanrc

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: ketsuko

Planned Parenthood existed before the ACA. It may not exist next year.

It will exist. It just will not be getting Federal funding.

Correct. This also means that women would not have equal access to Planned Parenthood which can be considered illegal in a court of law due to denial of access to doctors. By allowing the federal defunding the court is essentially saying that all states may defund if they choose which leaves women out in the cold. It's an all or nothing situation and the supreme court has.already determined that nothing is not an option.

Suck it up. We're not going down this road again.

It is a non profit organization. it will still be there if it has NO government funding. Bill Gate, Buffet, Ford Foundation and many others also fund it. Give the Clinton Foundation a call have have them throw in a few Million too. most non profits work with out government funding.

The Shriners Hospitals do a great job with no government funding.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

Past the 3rd trimester is a born baby. You can't abort a baby that's already been born.

Oh for heaven's sake! Late term abortions are defined at the beginning of the 3rd trimester 24-28 weeks. Full term is considered 40 - 42 week.

edit on 11-11-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc
won't be catering to medicaid patients anymore either, since that is what most of their gov't funds are for--- payment for services rendered!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

actually, that isn't really true all the time..
one of my kids went dang near close to the 10th month... he was nice and snug and happy in my womb, wasn't in any danger, so when my doctor asked me if I wanted him to induce labor, I said no...
he was finally forced to come into the real world when he broke my water..
9 lbs, 1 ozs full head of blond hear, clear skin, he didn't really look like the other newborns in the nursery.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Why is the morning after pill not available over the counter? Is that immoral too?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE
bad choices???

okay, let's look at one of these bad choices...
boy meets girl, they fall in love get married, and even after marriage the wait to have children till she is out of school... with birth control's help of course. after college, well, they get married, and soon, baby number one is born. then baby number two, then baby number three.
they have their perfect family size, and decide that they don't want anymore kids, heck they couldn't really afford anymore if they wanted them. they look into tubal litigations, and find out that it's way too expensive and dad just doesn't want anyone messing with his goodies. so it's back on birth control....so they struggle to figure out how to pay for it, since at that time, many of the insurance policies didn't carry it. but what if they can't afford it, so, she or he decides okay, we just won't have sex till there is no risk of children which means 10-20 years of sexless marriage. what if the other ones really values that intimate act, enough that he just ain't gonna accept this....
is it a better choice to just have the two go off in their own direction, break up the family, and bring chaos into their children's lives???
sex isn't a dangerous and harmful act!!! it's a natural part of most marriages, before they want kids, while they are having kids, and after they can't have anymore kids!!! providing coverage for birth control prevents pregnancies that guess what....drives up the cost of your insurance more!!

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I guarantee DT softens his stance on this. He's already caving on Obamacare

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

You and I agree that the state of Health Care in Texas is abysmal. Reproductive Health Care included.

A couple of things about that...

Donald Trump is so far to the left of Rick Perry, they really shouldn't even be on the same continuum. The only thing that puts them there is that little "R" next to their name. Ideologically speaking, they are nothing alike.

While Title X is mentioned in the article you linked, it is really Texas's very, very high eligibility hurdles for entry of Texas citizens into Medicare and Medicaid programs that are causing the most hurt.

Had you read the article I linked, you would have read this:

Keep that distinction in mind as we break down where Planned Parenthood’s federal funding comes from. Planned Parenthood receives about $450 million each year in federal funds. Government funding (including state funding, too) accounts for about 41 percent of Planned Parenthood’s yearly revenue, according to the group’s annual report.

Of the $450 million in annual federal funds, about $390 million comes from Medicaid. Less than $1 million comes from other entitlement programs: Medicare and the Children’s Health Insurance Program. Medicaid provides subsidized health care for poor Americans, and Planned Parenthood provides a significant number of poor women with reproductive health care.

So nearly 90 percent of Planned Parenthood’s federal funding comes from entitlement programs, a.k.a. mandatory spending. Meaning it’s not part of the appropriations process.

The remaining 10 percent does come from discretionary spending, meaning it’s normally up for debate in the appropriations process. The $60 million comes from grants under the National Family Planning Program -- known commonly as Title X because it operates under Title X of the Public Health Service Act.

Completely eliminating Title X would reduce Planned Parenthood's budget by 10%.

And again, nothing in any of the proposals will make contraception illegal.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Why is the morning after pill not available over the counter? Is that immoral too?

Ummm...probably for the health and safety of the woman??? That pill is a horrible thing not in what it is used for, but for what it does to the woman's body. You can look it up yourself, but some woman should NOT take that pill. Hence why it is prescribed...so the Doctor can make that determination.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
What's abortion got to do with birth control pills?
Answer: Nothing.
This is just fear mongering.a reply to: windword

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt

Sorry I missed your article.

Completely eliminating Title X would reduce Planned Parenthood's budget by 10%.

Thanks. I'm feeling a little better about the impact of defunding PP now, AND...learning just how hard it is to get a constitutional amendment adopted!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
bad choices???

okay, let's look at one of these bad choices...
boy meets girl, they fall in love get married, and even after marriage the wait to have children till she is out of school... with birth control's help of course. after college, well, they get married, and soon, baby number one is born. then baby number two, then baby number three.
they have their perfect family size, and decide that they don't want anymore kids, heck they couldn't really afford anymore if they wanted them. they look into tubal litigations, and find out that it's way too expensive and dad just doesn't want anyone messing with his goodies. so it's back on birth control....so they struggle to figure out how to pay for it, since at that time, many of the insurance policies didn't carry it. but what if they can't afford it, so, she or he decides okay, we just won't have sex till there is no risk of children which means 10-20 years of sexless marriage. what if the other ones really values that intimate act, enough that he just ain't gonna accept this....
is it a better choice to just have the two go off in their own direction, break up the family, and bring chaos into their children's lives???
sex isn't a dangerous and harmful act!!! it's a natural part of most marriages, before they want kids, while they are having kids, and after they can't have anymore kids!!! providing coverage for birth control prevents pregnancies that guess what....drives up the cost of your insurance more!!

Interesting little story there. So, these people can afford to house, feed and raise three kids but then can't afford $10 per month for the pill? What happens when their car breaks down? Are they going to loose their house? I mean...if $10 can't be afforded how is a $500 car repair affordable?

Using your example, they probably can't financially support the third child. That would mean they are already on assistance. If they then chose to have another child (your example) they made a bad decision. Their bad decision is their responsibility...not mine. Why is it now my responsibility when stupid people make stupid decisions...or worse yet...don't care about making stupid decisions because they know they can always take the money from others?

If you can't afford the pill...you already screwed up pretty bad. If $10 stands between them and the street...they have much bigger problems that should have been resolved much earlier. Maybe there should be a financial and intelligence test before you are allowed to breed.
edit on 11/12/2016 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

where are you getting the $10 from??? birth control bills cost somewhere between $30 and $50 dollars if paying out of pocket. and why should your insurance policy cover them.....(you pay for them)??

ya, the family is strapped for cash!!! hanging by a thread.... but hey, they are holding their own, and are responsible enough to have an insurance policy! He goes to work everyday, she stays home and cares for the children, they pay taxes, and ya know what question they are asking themselves as their neighbor across the street takes their snotty nosed kid to the doctor for the fifth time this month just to make sure the child is okay?? they're wondering why that have to pay for that mother's peace of mind while he's driving a car illegally every morning just to get to work because it's brakes are crap and won't pass inspection, and shes sacrificing meals for birth control!!
why should you just accept that you insurance policy covers birth control.. (pay for her birth control)....
because, if you add another child to that family, it might be just enough for them to fall into those welfare programs and then you might be wondering why you are paying for her child's visits to the doctor to ease her mind, ensuring that she never has to skip another meal, and maybe even be helping out with her rent!!

is that a good enough reason for you!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

First of all, this thread isn't about free stuff. Is your health insurance free? If you're paying, say, $400 a month for health insurance, and you wife's lady needs are covered in your plan, how is that free?

It's "free" in that it's not costing anything EXTRA....as in, it's not a line-item that you can choose to have, or not have..

Contraception and preventative health care/insurance isn't a new concept that Obama just pulled from his arse, it's been around for a long time.

Which brings us to the other half of my point... ACA carriers are REQUIRED to have these things in the plans now, under the terms of the ACA...you can't opt out, to bring the price of the plan down.. This means you have a locked in increase in price for the plan, as opposed to what it would be otherwise...

Secondly, personal autonomy, your own personage is not a trifling right, in an inalienable right. Don't brush it off so easily.

Oh, i take it VERY seriously, dear one... Which is why the federal government exceeding it's legal authority, and requiring that i either: purchase an expensive product from a private company, that i can't afford, don't need, and will never be able to use.....or i submit to an increasingly large fine every year, because i'm too poor to afford the product.

Seems to me like they're impinging upon my personal autonomy..

Third, this thread isn't about the ACA at all. It's about the Trump and his administration's plan to overturn Roe V Wade, defund Planned Parenthood, funded through Title X, a federal grant system that addresses family planning, and the GOPs promise to enact a constitutional amendment that bestows citizen rights on a fertilized egg and criminalizes abortion and hormonal birth control methods, on the federal level. These are the GOP's wet dreams!

1 - It's sort of about the ACA, because that's a component of what you were talking about.

2 - PP should be defunded...taxpayer money shouldn't be used for something that the government has no business being involved in.

3 - I disagree with the constitutional amendment...until a certain point, it's not a person yet. However, i still believe abortion should be a last resort...

4 - I also disagree with outlawing hormonal BC....it's a bit silly, and more than a little unnecessary.

Yes, today there are lot's of options available. But what will be available to women after 4 years of Trump/Pence?

dunno. and speculating will get us nowhere.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

It's "free" in that it's not costing anything EXTRA....as in, it's not a line-item that you can choose to have, or not have..

No. .....As in It's covered. Is your diabetes or cancer free?

you can't opt out, to bring the price of the plan down.. This means you have a locked in increase in price for the plan, as opposed to what it would be otherwise...

Right. I can't opt out of your brother's knee surgery, to fix the injury he got on Thanksgiving playing football in the park after a few beers, either!

2 - PP should be defunded...taxpayer money shouldn't be used for something that the government has no business being involved in.

Family planning is a public health issue that the government has a very valid interest in.

3 - I disagree with the constitutional amendment...until a certain point, it's not a person yet. However, i still believe abortion should be a last resort...
4 - I also disagree with outlawing hormonal BC....it's a bit silly, and more than a little unnecessary.

Great! We agree. I love being able to end on a high note!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Daedalus

welcome to the crack, longtime resident here!!!
the problems you are describing have been around a long time. what you are experiencing is the fact that the cost of the healthcare has increased enough to exceed your means... and yes, no one is talking about you, just like no one really talked much about me all these years. but, you have one advantage I never had. that is that obama has tinkered with the system, it's success is quite questionable, but still he tinkered. but you have a vast number of people, many of whom can still have access to the healthcare system that also think this law is crap. so when you speak out, at least you get a little support. that wasn't so with me. nope to everyone I was a whiner, a lazy do nothing, someone who just didn't work hard enough, someone who wanted my healthcare free!! I wasn't lazy, I limped into work every day, and unlike many, my work could have been calculated scientifically into a significant amount! I fell a few times at work, I limped quit often, I avoided going to the break room often because well, I didn't want to try to negotiate the stairs, I was fired from some jobs, quit some others, went nuts laying in a bed with a splint on my leg trying to find a surgeon that didn't want an insane down payment to do the operation that would allow me to walk again, and now, thank you so much!!! I can live the rest of my life handicapped, unable to really drive that far, unable to do alot of things!!! and with near constant pain!! so, ya, welcome to the crack, such a lovely place to be!!! just don't think that you were the first to be here or that obamacare was the reason you are here. you would have ended up here eventually anyways!

as for the birth control included in the health insurance, I am sorry, but it costs a heck of a lot less money to provide people with their birth control than it does to bring a child into the world and keep them healthy through their childhood! if paying out of pocket a women would end up paying around $50,000 through her childbearing years. for many working women, that can be around four years of her life that she is spending on just preventing birth, so she can keep working, so she can make sure the kids that she does have have food on the table!

and by god, if you are gonna make a danged law that says she has to buy into an insurance plan, that plan needs to acknowledge birth control as something worthy of being included in it!

The crack sucks..

Yes, but you see, I care not whether the cost of the things is 5, or 500 dollars...i shouldn't hafta pay for it, if i don't want it. Why do I need to pay extra on an insurance plan, for things i will never need?

Furthermore, why should i need to buy a plan at all, if i don't need it?

For me, yes, the cost of an ACA plan is an issue...but more than that, it's the principle of the thing..

I am truly sorry to hear of your issues...it's a s**t situation, and nobody should be forced to endure that. The ACA IS why i am in the situation i am in....i would not be having these issues, were it not for this idiotic law..

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: daryllyn

originally posted by: VVV88
a reply to: windword

Women have control over their body. They can control themselves to not have sex if they don't want to get pregnant. What am I missing?

Because women become pregnant all by themselves. It's not like it takes a product produced by only men, to become pregnant or anything....

How about some responsibility on the male side?

Perhaps you could cut the pretense, and spell out exactly what you're driving at...

What sort of "responsibility" are you thinking that we're not demonstrating?

SM2

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
well on the bright side, when the donald lowers everyones taxes, then maybe people can afford that huge $20 a month bill for the pills or the extra gas to go to the local health department and get a paperbag filled with free condoms. This is really such a silly issue, really it is. People act like women never had birth control available until the ACA gave it to them. I understand that some people cant afford much, but come on, use free condoms instead.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Unborn children having the right to life?
What a travesty! Quick someone find a loophole so we can continue killing babies.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join