It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The end of the minorities

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

nice to see you posting! and indeed you are a learning man! well said

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

You are right it should be no minorities that was a term used before the civil right movement

But what we have and we need to address a lot is the growing inequality in the population when it comes to income ratios.

A nation that depend heavily in welfare to keep the poor from suffering hunger is a nation that the income division has become out of control.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Thanks Slowly, day by day!

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

lets just be glad the free world still has hope.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Haha dayumn, valid point. I had not thought of those roles, and no I do not. I had not thought of such positions when I typed, was generalising, something I've been quick to dismiss people for in the past.
edit on 10/11/2016 by Learningman because: carnt zpell gud

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: SaturnFX

You are right it should be no minorities that was a term used before the civil right movement

But what we have and we need to address a lot is the growing inequality in the population when it comes to income ratios.

A nation that depend heavily in welfare to keep the poor from suffering hunger is a nation that the income division has become out of control.

a more honest discussion is of course income disparity. there are tons of scholarships and programs for things like if you are a woman, if you are a minority, if you are lgbtq, etc.
Thing is, and I checked, those are pretty much the only prerequisite. you can be from a middle/upper income family and gay and qualify for the scholarship..meanwhile a straight person in a poverty stricken neighborhood doesn't qualify.
This isn't how it should be.

that's why it should be only considerations is income based for government programs and help, not catagories. If you laser focus on just income and income considerations alone, then you will hit every and all groups equally on who needs help without pushing identity politics.

So..how do we then try and build strong ladders for the poor to climb up on is the question..and of course that's a different structure.
But, I think this is where I think both liberals and conservatives can agree on. help where its needed without putting people into boxes.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: continuousThunder

also, i could be wrong so don't quote me, but i'm preeeeetty sure that the nazis weren't exactly red hot on minorities, ethnic, sexual, or otherwise, and i wouldn't say they were clamouring for education about the unique issues faced by those communities. siq leap there though. impressive.

So you're....
you're gonna go straight to the "you're all Nazi's for disagreeing with me" stuff?

No, I mean you can, but normally there is about 5-6 pages of discussion before one side simply gives up and calls the other literally hitler. normally.
I guess that's what happens in this new twitter age. no time for nuanced discussion..just label everyone and everything you dislike as the 3rd reich and move on. pfft.

A quick counter: everyone at that time, Germany, America, Russia, etc seen women as little more than mothers and breeders. Every nation also had the same general contempt for different races and religions. Not sure where you were going with that.

also, I could be wrong so don't quote me, but i'm preeeeety sure that the Nazi's were setting up a system of equality amongst the citizens that gave free education, healthcare, etc etc etc...
(see how that works)

Enjoy your day and your privilege, westerner.

woah woah wait
learning man pulled the nazi card and i was just responding to it, mostly because it just seemed to absurd not to.
To his credit, his response to that was as cogent and fair as any i've encountered from someone arguing against me in a thread of this nature.
And look honestly, i can see where you're trying to go with this.

I understand the urge to see everyone treated the same, i sympathise with the spirit motivating that, and i really wish we lived in a universe where it was as simple as that, where things could just be made fair for everyone in that way, but unfortunately we don't.

every single day it feels like there's new footage of cops shooting black people in broad daylight for things like walking in a park or driving their car. White people catch the sharp end of police brutality too but i have yet to see any murdered cold in public like that.

Women still get paid significantly less than men for the exact same job. As well as little things like it being totally normalised to experience public sexual harrassment from pre-pubescence onwards and not being able to walk home alone because of the exorbitant risk of being raped and murdered.

America's new vice president thinks it's perfectly acceptable to electrocute gay people until they say they're not gay anymore - and further, made it a campaign promise to fund more of these places at the expense of HIV treatment and research. It's still routine for kids to be kicked out of home to survive on the street simply for coming out as gay or trans.

Trans people are currently the centre of a vicious protracted war... over where they're allowed to pee. And i say war because instead of just letting the girls pee, people have planted actual bombs in toilet stalls.
It's actually LEGAL in most states of america to murder a trans person. you just say you panicked when you learned they're trans and killed them. I'm not being hyperbolic, it's honestly a real thing.

meanwhile, in australia, i still can't marry my girlfriend. which isn't a problem most of the time, but there are a lot of benefits denied us - if one of us were to get drastically sick, they would track down our families instead of giving us spousal privelege. and since we are both in the aforementioned gay-kids-kicked-out-of-home camp, well i'm sure you can imagine how well that would go.

You wanna talk about nuance?
So many posts in this thread talk about how no one wants to be denied a job or that race/gender/etc are lazy excuses but the simple fact is that for a lot of people, life is SO brutal, right from the outset. and in vastly different ways.
It's not demonising and it's not having a go at you when i say life is easier for straight white guys.
I'm not even saying it's easy - it's just not quite as uniformly horrific.
Trust me, i should know; i walked among the straight white guys undetected for a good twenty years.
Now i still have my white privelege, i still have my educated westerner privelege, and i picked up some hot privelege along the way, but i have learned so much more about how screwed up the world is... and i started out pretty convinced that the world is mightily messed up.
My point is, try to be gentle and understanding. Everyone is fighting the most unbelievably difficult battle.
Please don't assume that because there is an identity tag that fits someone that they are being taken magical care of.
we have to look after each other.
edit on 11-11-2016 by continuousThunder because: gosh that was way more text than i thought

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
My point is, try to be gentle and understanding. Everyone is fighting the most unbelievably difficult battle.

You're arguing for social change in mindsets.
On that, I got your back 100%.
This thread is a discussion on government and programs. government segregating "Groups" instead of just addressing income disparity is only helping divide.

A studio, gearbox, often tries to hire people who they feel is "oppressed". their ads are typically "programmer position, please apply if you are lgbtq or a marginalized race"
...that's effin stupid.
what it should read is "please apply if you are qualified for excellence in work, preference for lower income homes" (poor people getting a really good job one day will most likely try much harder than someone who is set anyhow and not sweating where the next meal is gonna come from.)

Women still get paid significantly less than men for the exact same job. As well as little things like it being totally normalised to experience public sexual harrassment from pre-pubescence onwards and not being able to walk home alone because of the exorbitant risk of being raped and murdered.

I will address this bit of bull# though
the wage gap myth has been debunked over and over..seriously, its a unicorn.
the EARNINGS gap is from different factors, such as hours worked, different positions being compared, experience, qualifications upon landing a job, hours worked, hours worked, hours worked, women taking more time off to have babies, many 10+ years to simply be a housewife, hours worked (seriously, men work more hours than women..this is a very huge part of the earnings gap).
But they almost never compare apples to apples...dig into the studies. even progressive outlets that aren't manipulating words admit it is a lot to do about decisions of women..
hense why they are constantly pushing women should go into STEM fields...aka, force women to do things they aren't naturally drawn to.

as far as the other stuff. well, you got a lot of standard bland progressive "facts". I bet you believe 1 in 5 women get raped at university...because some progressive rag said so..making universities worse than the congo...another "fact' that's been fully debunked.
As far as young girls being sexualized...all young day after post pubescent youth get sexualized. a 16/17 year old girl pop singer is considered the forbidden fruit..you got timers till 18 and all sorts, but if you don't think people like Beiber and other male boy band type things weren't sexualized, you're mistaken
human nature, we got laws in place that are overall semi sane, and so people can think how they want.

Next time you respond. why not just put a single thing down. a gigantic wall of sawed off shotgun focus style points doesn't help a discussion, it is the dazzle them with bullcrap approach...put soo much up that it simply becomes a pain to discuss.

start a thread with a laser focus on say, the wage gap vs earnings gap..keep it on that, and either at the end of the thread, it will be proven, or disproven...then move to the next progressive issue..maybe "rape culture".
edit on 11-11-2016 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join