It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump on shutting down "parts of the internet"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
whenever a candidate (and now president elect) makes fun of free speech and dismisses it so we can instead be safe from the turr'ists, one should maybe consider if they truly (bigly) desire that outcome.

Yes Donald..I also hear people get radicalized on conspiracy websites. I think we need to shut all those things down also...wasn't the dude who shot that Az politician in the head a user of ATS?
hmm

So whats your thoughts then...should we shut down parts of the internet in order to be safe? does China have a point?

"Oh, he was probably meaning shut down their countries internet..because we are masters of the world and stuff and own the entire global internet and all the satellites".
...okay, lets pretend that's what he really bigly meant.
the idea of quick communications from citizens on a emerging threat is often the thing that stops the threat..enables rebels to coordinate and fight against people like Isil.
Shutting that down would consolidate the power of the warlord types, wouldn't it?

Keep in mind, fax machines brought down the USSR because it allowed grassroots organizations.

This is a very confusing (and worrying) potus we have.
But I would assume that should Trump make an executive order to shut down parts of the internet he deems dangerous, and ATS shuts down as a consequence, maybe you will become a bit skeptical about the agenda?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

"Left" "Right" "Outsider" all part of the false dichotomy. Same NWO slightly different flavor.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

The POTUS can't just decide to shut down parts of the Internet. I get they have executive order, and sure I get he will appoint some Supreme Court Justices. But SCOTUS, house and Senate would freak out.

This is a conspiracy website I get that too, but this pitch of yours doesn't have much substance behind it. Just blind speculation. We could play "what if" till we're blue in the face.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I `m not sure what he meant by that how do you shutdown only parts of the internet?

maybe he thinks it`s possible to shut down the internet between Syria and the U.S.?

the internet has all those tubes and pipes and stuff maybe he can turn off the valve that leads to Syria?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The internet should be left alone.

It doesn't belong to anyone, despite the claims, and it needs to remain that way.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Scary guy no doubt about it.

Its going to be hypocritical partisan politics all over again.

Under Bush, Republicans loved the citizen kill lists.

Under Obama, those same Republicans were "outraged".

Trump supporters will turn a blind eye to his authoritarianism.

Two horrible choices and we had to choose one.

Good luck to us all.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Does anyone really believe Trump understands how the internet works? If you want to know his positions and policies on things you're going to have to look at the people he surrounds himself with.

Or maybe there is some big secret internet switch that only he knows about.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
I `m not sure what he meant by that how do you shutdown only parts of the internet?

maybe he thinks it`s possible to shut down the internet between Syria and the U.S.?

the internet has all those tubes and pipes and stuff maybe he can turn off the valve that leads to Syria?

The "World-Wide-Web" actually only incorporates local domains nation to nation. For example, when you go to "www.China.com" you are actually getting a localized webpage that was just taken from a China server, and put on a local server. In China, they get a different server and possibly even webpage for the exact same domain.

Anyway, the censorship would be of the local USA domain. The illusion of a 'world wide internet' is one of the most successful ever if you consider split up DNS servers not a 'network'.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I'm no internet genius, but I would imagine one could block traffic coming directly from countries known to foster terrorist groups. I know there are rather simple ways around that, but China seems to pull it off pretty well.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

China knows it.

That's the thing..you cant shut down the internet for other countries..but you can shut down your own countrys access to outside networks.

So starts the wall. I guess we should have demanded specifics about his wall..didn't realize he meant firewall.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
You might not be too far off...

Honestly, this whole time I have thought there was really not a toupe chance in a tornado for him to win..

Either way, I do expect freedom of speech to be cracked down on.

I really expected Hillary to win and then put the iron fist on conspiracy websites and independent journalism..

"Between Russia and J . Issange, and Trump and his deplorables conspiracy theories, we just narrowly avoided disaster .. time to reign in the info flow for the good of the lan

I truly expected that from Hill, and expected her followers to say "ok great!"

But now it's Trumps ball.
It's important for me to remember that his win just means he's as compromised as her, - if the web is to be shackled it will be regardless of president..
Hope we are wrong.

Either way I have said for years that the free flow Of info we have right now on the net is not beneficial to "TPTB " and can't last forever.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bender151

I think that`s what he had in mind so that ISIS in Syria can`t use twitter or FB to recruit people in America.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

He's never heard of Lord Haw Haw.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: underwerks

China knows it.

That's the thing..you cant shut down the internet for other countries..but you can shut down your own countrys access to outside networks.

So starts the wall. I guess we should have demanded specifics about his wall..didn't realize he meant firewall.

Never thought about it like that, but that's true. All it would take is a foreign hacking threat to some kind of vital infrastructure in the US to start up the fear-machine convincing everyone our internet needs to be separate from the rest of the world. And there we are.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Scary guy no doubt about it.

Scary guy alright, mostly because he's buck stupid..or likes to give that impression.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Maybe that's the republican strategy? Just play dumb.

Worked for G.W.

a reply to: smurfy

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Yes, shutting down parts of the internet, that's the ticket! I know Melania will be all over that, as she as FLOTUS takes on cyber bullying, as promised. There's only one way to stop cyber or playground bullying and that's by limiting the 1st Amendment.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
Maybe that's the republican strategy? Just play dumb.

Worked for G.W.

a reply to: smurfy

And now we are bringing ATS back to its intent...this conspiracy could have legs. Reps have been trying to control and tighten down on the internet for years upon years with bipartisan populous opposition demanding it remain free and open.
...in comes a "outsider" who makes a campaign promise in a sort of insane rambling way to shut down parts of the internet to protect us from the threat of the muslims and their jedi mind tricks to radicalize people over cat memes on twitter or something and voila...a new internet patriot act.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
As a hotel owner, Trumps knows most bookings are via the net, so I doubt he means shut the lot down, just DOS particular parts of it.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
He's gonna take your computers.

Background checks for iphones.

Assault pad bans.

registered apps.

Oh yeah, it's coming.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join