It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Can We Learn from Trump's Triumph?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm posting this from over here in Scotland, so I hope you Americans can forgive my input. But the way I see it, the USA is the most powerful country in the world, so last night's results affect everyone around the globe - so I followed the process very closely. Reports coming out seem to indicate heightened tensions around America right now, understandably.

BUT...... I think we are ignoring a number of massive positives that will emerge from this election process :

1) My country, Scotland, had an independence referendum in 2014. Unfortunately (in my opinion) we chose to stay within the union of the United Kingdom. However, the politics of my country was changed forever by that process. The electorate are massively more engaged than ever before ; many more of my countrymen are members of political parties ; voter turnout increased massively. The apathy is gone - replaced by engagement, passion and insight.

The result in America last night is the same - the start of a new era of politics - where engaged citizens believe that by voting they can achieve significant change in their lives and in their country (I won't comment on whether I believe that this change is good or not at this stage - that isn't the point I'm making). The electorate, having seized this power, aren't going to just let it slip away. There could be a real engagement in American politics as a result of this election process.

2) I have seen many commentators compare the Clinton-Trump election to Brexit. In my opinion, its much more like the referendum on Scottish independence. During the process for Scottish independence, the media coverage of the English controlled media overwhelmingly negative towards Scottish independence. There were daily scare stories and personal attacks on prominent politicians on the side of independence. It really was relentless.

I feel that the coverage over in the USA during this election process has been similar - perhaps even more so. Bordering on hysteria at points. Trump is a rapist ; Bill Clinton is a rapist ; Hillary is a crook who keeps the company of paedophiles, etc, etc..... What I am delighted about is that, whether you like it or not, last night's result showed that the people overwhelmingly ignored the relentless media spin and scare stories. They just weren't as ignorant and gullible as many within the media seemed to believe. This has to be a positive thing - whether you liked the result or not.

Even now, a media which has lost much credibility over the previous months have the arrogance to tell us what to make of this outcome (ie, blame angry white men). Once again, they are trying to spin this against the population - refusing to place the blame on the politicians who were rejected by the vote.

I get a sense of optimism, though, from the obvious fact that voters simply aren't gullible enough to fall for this nonsense any more. Traditional media is dying. New media (online news websites ; social media) are making it impossible for biased news stations like CNN (pro-democrat) or Fox (pro-republican) to get away with their blatant lies any more. We are seeing an electorate massively more informed and aware - a huge positive for the future of American politics.

Thanks to wikileaks, much of the filth and corruption of American (and international) politics has been completely exposed - making it almost inevitable that change has to happen within America's system of government.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Millions

Sometimes you just have to hit the reset button and worry about the implications later..waiting for them to now raise interest rates and blame it on Trump

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I learned that with the right pitch you can sell anything.

a reply to: chrismarco

Are you going to be apologizing for him during his entire presidency?
It's the medias fault...It's Obamas fault...It's the globalist fault...

Just curious?
edit on 9-11-2016 by MagicCow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

What Can We Learn from Trump's Triumph?

That the American dream is real...

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I learned that the American spirit is not dead. Despite the dumbing down and controlled msn persuading your every thought, people from everywhere saw the same thing and did what they probably wouldn't do in the past. Going back to the primaries he was winning in landslides in places he shouldvr lost, that told me a lot. I will admit I thought he had a good shot all along due to social media until the "grab em by the $@!#&" tape the day before the debate. Didn't look good. But the dude comes out calls it locker room talk and just like that he's Back on track...Teflon Don, can't stump the Trump..this will never stop being talked about.
edit on 9-11-2016 by VinylTyrant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Not to look toward ATS sycophants for advise on what is going to happen during election cycles.

(post by andy06shake removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Double Post
edit on 9-11-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
What I learned from this election, not perse his triumph it would either way be the same, the to others pointing fingers are well established in society and it will take a loooong loooong way before the society as a whole can be considered as great again.

But I do enjoy the great slapstick that is still continuing from both sides.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well this is what you get when one of the two major parties forces a candidate down our throats.

Clinton. Nobody liked her. A legitimate Candidate would have beaten trump. Clinton is unlikable. Too many scandals, to much animosity against her within her party (anyone who saw her steal the primary from Sanders).

But the Democrats aren't only to blame. Look at who Trump beat...those were a true basket of Deplorables. There is a meme out there about Trump beating the most powerful Conservatives in the country but that's not true. Next time, Republicans, give us real leaders and not nut cases.

edit on 9-11-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

Jeb Bush, Carson, Perry, Christie, Cruz, Graham, Huckabee, Jindal, Rubio, Santorum, Walker. I'll bet you twenty dollars those same 11 will run again next time.
edit on 9-11-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I learned that there are those who do not care for the first amendment to the US constitution enough to prevent a man coming to power who has stated that he would like to behave in an unconstitutional manner toward the press.

I learned that there are those who do not care for the first amendment to the US constitution enough to prevent a man coming to power who has stated that he will interfere with the freedom of religion, by placing ridiculous scrutiny on people just because of what they believe, by forcing them to register on a special list, by preventing them coming and going from the country, and by other means.

I learned that there are those who do not care for the freedom, liberty and justice that they claim to crave, enough to ensure that all possess a measure of it, no matter how risky that may be. I also learned that a fair number of Americans love security better than liberty, and therefore deserve neither. Odd, given how much noise I have heard some of them make about their freedoms being impinged.

I have also learned that it is vital that we in Britain elect a heavily left wing, and OLD school left wing government, with all haste, to balance the west against whatever hell will come from across the water. The United States just became Mordor, and all we can do is pray for the bright souls who remain there, surrounded by bloody orcs.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
sometimes you just have to roll the dice and hope for the best, trump said it best when he said " what have you got to lose?"
4 years of Hillary would have been 4 more years of Obama,and 8 years of Obama hasn`t been a bed of roses for the working people.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I think a better question would be, what will we learn from Trump's presidency? Talk is cheap. Let's see what happens when he actually has to cash the checks his big mouth has been writing.

I'm not sure his win teaches anything. But in the aftermath of it, I can say that I personally have discovered that there are a lot more petty, trifling-ass people in this country than I previously was aware of. So there's that. Otherwise, it's just SSDD, no big change.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
People are tired of establishment politics here in America. Simple as that really. Trump's victory signals a big collective middle finger toward the DC elite.
edit on 9-11-2016 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
That the American dream is real...

The American Dream is that with the proper attitude and persistence, any billionaire can grow up to be President.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
There are a couple of large groups of voters that no one has been paying attention to and both parties have convinced themselves they either don't need or don't exist. Trump found them.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I learned you can grab women's vagina's without even waiting for consent and get elected President of The United States of America. Essentially, I learned anyone can become president. So I guess that should be encouraging to anyone on ATS thinking about running later. Don't worry about your behavior, it's all good.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

I learned you can grab women's vagina's without even waiting for consent and get elected President of The United States of America. Essentially, I learned anyone can become president. So I guess that should be encouraging to anyone on ATS thinking about running later. Don't worry about your behavior, it's all good.

You missed that lesson when Bill was in office? You must not be very old.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Point one: After Brexit and Donald's Election, forget all future Polls, they are wrong hardly accurate!

Point two: People are fed up with traditional politics, they want something new, someting exotic, populism, whatever relates and adresses their fears.

Point three: Nationalism is on the rise, all the other "lisms" related to it, as well, dont deny it, dont forget it.

Point four: Paid Shills are on the internet, everywhere, from facebook, twitter, even here.

Point five: Everything is possible until the end.

Point six: Wikileaks and means of information in the same vein substituted the regular informative ways, even youtube did its part showing things most tv channels or radios wouldnt.

Point seven: People aren't afraid to change.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Happy you acknowledge it's the same lesson

top topics

<<   2 >>

join