It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to understand one another, help me out, please.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
Why can't you join hand in hand with the people that voted differently from you? We have a lot more in common than you think. Goals that are very similar, just different ways of going about and bringing those goals to fruition... Win/Win circumstances truly can exist, if we let them.

Just one example, abortion, are the goals similar, is there a win/win?

I bet even people who voted the same can be split along that line and it is just one example.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

The only blame there is to go around is that people were and are fed up with the government...it's easier to blame a person for the loss but we have a very corrupted government and it's been going on way before Hillary ran for president. What's keeping us apart is the misdirection and the divisiveness of the media. The idea that we can come together when you have opposing parties jockeying for money and power seems absurd...abolish the parties all together and see what candidate can address them both more uniformly.

MSNBC and Fox are the biggest arsonists when it comes to pitting one party against the other...their success and viewership depends on the separation..

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I did my part, I voted.

I also do my part in my community.

Without compromise, some people will be unhappy.

With compromise. . . everyone will be unhappy.

I'll hold my end of the bargain and do right in my world, I'll obey the laws, pay my taxes and help those in need.

THAT's what I mean by personal responsibility.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: DBCowboy

Honestly I believe your type of negativity is part of the reason this nation hasn't been great - policy makers don't dictate every action we take. They don't breed every contempt or place others in circumstances where they are bound to make worse choices - this isn't to detract from personal accountability and responsibility, but in the other hand, we are social animals and as such, culture and social impact effects things on a large scale.

It's not negativity. It's brutal honesty.

It's not gentle, kind, soft and delicate.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

We were lied to on monumental levels,some bought it.
It wasn't anyone's fault really ,the point is more what happens NOW?
We have NO idea ,WE liked what he said about a few things...the less "ranty" ones anyway...lets watch and find out.

Yes lets hope he cleans house, i dont think he will but theres always hope.

Well, with Hillary we knew what we were getting, with Trump we didnt have 30 years of telling us what we were getting. He has many liberal ideas as well as more conservative ones. In the end though, I think he is just the begining. I doubt he can as thoroughly clean house as most of us would like, but it may be a start. Term limits alone would be HUGE. Many of us knew we had to light the fire at some point, and with Trump the fire is lit.. I think its up to ALL of us to make demands and keep it stoked. Hes not going to be allowed to golf and play... without GREAT across the aisle public outrage. Things need to be done, have been left to fester for too long, and need to be drained now. He already showed "us" who and what the GOP/Repubs are... maybe Hillary's supporters will now see what the dems are. These stupid labels are pretty divisive... though some love them. It really is a matter of THEM versus US and when the majority realize this.. we can actually make some progress.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Better education, access to contraception and day after pills, more focus on family values and less unwanted pregnancies - Switzerland has this one right in my own opinion - It's admittedly not a full win for anyone, but liberals keep the rights they want while conservatives lessen the deaths they don't want. It's essentially at least a minorly positive outcome on both sides, other than for extremists... Which you can never help, and I'm not advocating we do.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I'm not asking you to wrap others in pink cuddly blankets.

I'm asking that you make an attempt to connect with others in a way that help America progress forward in a way that it cannot while the citizens are divided.

I'm suggesting that a win for any candidate does not matter.
I'm suggesting that your vote did not carry as much weight as you, yourself, an individual, and if you're not willing to consider an actual pathway to a better future for america, why delude yourself by thinking that voting will do anything? Citizens do things, not pieces of paper.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Ask yourself this:

What does coming here to ATS to gloat help?

It helps NOTHING. Nothing at all.

Sure, might make YOU feel better. Time to pull out that whip and start returning the suffering! Take THAT those of you who didn't like my opinion! That THAT all of you that supported your guy and said mean things to me!

Think about it. Which is the better idea?

Two people that have differences. They get into an argument. Names start being thrown around, fingers pointed, etc. One wins the argument and goes on and on, gloating, and doing what they can to rub the nose of the other in it.

Is that a healthy situation? No. No it is not. Because down the road, situation reverses and the same thing happens.

The better idea is if the two try to find a way to work together and maintain a meaningful relationship. Not one that antagonizes each other.

You do realize that our entire nation was founded up compromise? Just go through and see how the US Constitution was drawn up.

But again, it's up to you and others. Do what you want of course.

Yesterday I voted for Trump (was tempted to write in Limberbutt McCubbins). Trump won. Great! Okay.

But I refuse to gloat over it, or rub people's noses in it. Actions like that are below me. I'll not stoop to that level of immaturity.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

It isn't just "extremists". Abortion is murder to many average americans and any solution that allows it will cause them to stand against their fellow citizens.
edit on 9-11-2016 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

It isn't just "extremists". Abortion is murder to many average americans and any solution that allows it will cause them to stand against their fellow citizens.

I know a whole gaggle of Witches.. ( or whatever you call a bunch of practicing Wiccans and pagans and such.. gaggle sounded cool) who are "Pagans for Life" as it interrupts the natural cycle of things , life is precious, etc etc etc. Now, youre lead to believe its ONLY the staunch far right Xtian to actively fight within pro life/anti abortion.. not so. Atheists for Life.. yet another. SPL or Secular Pro life .. another.

If youre only getting your world view from one political standpoint, youre definitely not getting the whole picture.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Good point and these are just more lines along which the population can be split.

A moderate pro-life christian might end up standing against a pro-life wiccan because they are "fighting" over something other than the abortion issue.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: Advantage

Good point and these are just more lines along which the population can be split.

A moderate pro-life christian might end up standing against a pro-life wiccan because they are "fighting" over something other than the abortion issue.

Its that whole label thing.. its really gotten absurd in the last few decades. You have a label for everything from your sexuality to your taste in food. Weird... its making EVERYTHING a potential reason to point out a difference and division.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I can't really say anything against what you wrote, to be honest.

Am I gloating? Yeah.

Am I happy that Hillary didn't win? You bet.

Does that make me a jerk? Sure.

I've also been supportive of everyone who's pissed that Hillary lost. They are angry and bitter. I sympathize. I have not insulted them or their beliefs by trying to "build bridges" or "unite".

I wouldn't want to insult them that way.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I understand. I really do.

And: compromise and bridges are certainly not built in a day (or 2, or 3...etc).

You're well known here on ATS. Everyone listens to you whether you realize it or not. Sometimes we have bad days and good days.

Enjoy today. I didn't want Hillary elected either. I got my wish. Two of my daughters are damn near crying about that though, and I got told to shut up when I tried to console them.

I feel bad for them, but I'm also in a good mood, however I'm trying to be careful and not make them think I'm enjoying their distress. (I'm not really).

Peace.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

There you go. Being reasonable.

You've shamed me, dammit.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
Its that whole label thing.. its really gotten absurd in the last few decades. You have a label for everything from your sexuality to your taste in food. Weird... its making EVERYTHING a potential reason to point out a difference and division.

Maybe I'm wrong but, I think it was PC culture that was supposed to allow people to "come out" without these differences leading to division. Humans, what are you going to do?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Personally, I am surprised by how strong my emotions are concerning this election.
I've never been one to take these things so seriously as to let it affect my relationships.
But this time... I really feel depressed. I even de-friended my closest cousin because she was posting "We're making America great again! YAY! " updates. How petty is that?

What is bother some is not that Hillary didn't win (I never idealized her either),
nor is it:
the future- what Trump will do or not. I still kinda believe in our systems of checks and balances which keep things from going berserk.

But it is rather the symbolism of the whole thing- that the American people have made such an announcement to the world-
"We, the people of the United States, are racist, sexist, crude, ignorant, arrogant, narcissistic and violent. We assert this with pride and a huge grin."

Geezus F Christ.
I don't feel mad at my fellow Americans making this global proclamation, but sad and frightened for them.
I watched that man make fun of handicapped people publicly- I have a handicapped sister (who works very hard to survive) and all I can think is- what is going to happen to her, now that everyone has decided this is the values and morals of the USA??? This retarded woman that has always worked harder than most of the population, and has a heart of gold, never done anyone wrong... The American people have decided- she is not worthy of any value.

Trump is not the threat as much as are the people who voted for him.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

And this is why there will never be unity.

As long as people think I'm an idiot or racist for voting the way I did.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

And this is why there will never be unity.

As long as people think I'm an idiot or racist for voting the way I did.

I don't think you are an idiot or a racist.

This action (of voting for him) indicates that you value these things. That you endorse them. These are the ideas Trump held up as what he represents. I don't claim to be all that I value- only that I want to be, that I try to make choices and actions which go in that direction.

I don't think everyone that voted for Trump already is what he values- only that they have made them announcement of what they want to be, what they want to work towards.

I totally would like to understand better how you see his ideals as constructive or beneficial to a society or community.
I have no doubt that you have a vision of that, but so far I am not getting it.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I watched that man make fun of handicapped people publicly-

Are you talking about this?
Today's Political Truth

<< 1    3 >>

join