It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Okay --- so WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

do not try to hold me to the standards you would expect linguistically from a 'normal' person. I am an electrical engineer. I could probably run circles around most people in math, but when it comes to English... just overlook me.

Wow!!!

My dad was an engineer, a man of few emotion-related words. But he was a very good writer.

Honestly, I come by my mannerisms and psychology very very honestly due to him. Anyway, I respect you, and appreciate the warm welcome to further dialogue, as skittish as we all might be.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I have to post this ironical fact:

Leonard Cohen died today.
He is the composer of Hallelujah, and very recently I made

a thread about a rendition of what we have right now.

IN all seriousness and sobriety. The man that wrote this song died today. And said he was ready for it.

So - is this "propaganda"?

All I know is I am going to spend lots of time thinking.

edit on 11/11/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

To be perfectly honest, most of my limited linguistic ability is sort of a mental copy/paste exercise. If I try to communicate something socially outside of the concepts I have memorized words for, I am at a loss and have to think for several minutes.

An example, if I want to stress that I am basing my response on a fact or attitude, I tend to use "you have to understand that..." It's not intended as a dismissal, but rather an indication that this is a prerequisite to understanding what I am about to say.

It is a good example of how easily words can be twisted from their intended meanings simply by misinterpretation and/or different contextual thinking between the speaker and the listener.

TheRedneck

P.S.: This is actually a field I am excited about. If I can understand the algorithms humans use to convert wave patterns into words into ideas, I can construct an android which is capable of human-like integration into conversation.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I have a question...

How long are the members expected to endure the insults and childish gloating.

I've accepted his election. I wish him well, but this being insulted on almost every post BS is getting annoying.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I have a question...

I've accepted his election. I wish him well, but this being insulted on almost every post BS is getting annoying.

Did the insults of Obama or Hillary ever cease?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I have a question...

I see what you mean. Perhaps I'm expecting to much. Well, if that's the way they want it...I can play that game as well.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Some things that seem simple aren't. Infrastructure sounds easy, but the RP and DP want to do it differently or not at all for some projects. Differences include dollars, where they are spent, privatization, regulations (i.e. get rid of wage rules and Buy American only rule). Bernie Sanders and Liz Warren and others will make sure in Congress to hold Trump accountable to the things (like infrastructure) he promised in the campaign that they can agree on, compromising where they agree, but not where Dem values would be given up. That is what it is meant by Dems "working with" the RP: compromise, not caving in.

On a personal level, people who are angry, sad, and frustrated with the election results, many of those who have been protesting, are being asked by Dems such as Liz Warren to turn anger into action. Not just financially help causes, but help by donating time, even an hour a week to, say Planned Parenthood (which is where some women I know have said they would volunteer), or environmental or peace or community or hunger, any myriad of causes that support Dem values (whether it be through religious or civic or community groups).

Turn anger into action.

We start with two things that we can do. One is we can volunteer, and the other is we can stay connected to each other. Volunteer with Planned Parenthood, or with any other organization that really matters to you. Volunteering is a way to say, ‘We’re making these groups stronger. This is one way our voice will be heard.’

Elizabeth Warren on Trump’s Election: ‘We Stand Up and We Fight Back’

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Re attacks and insults

The old saying, Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

And one I like to remember, Don't step in it, walk around it. IOW if you are out walking and see a pile of dog crap on the ground, you don't step in it, because it just leaves your shoes dirty and smelly.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Getting money out of politics, IMHO. If he can do that, even if I disagree with 100% of everything else he does (that's rhetorical, and remains to be seen obviously,) it will be at least worth it by that degree because all subsequent elected officials will be there because they care about public service, not enriching themselves. And they will no longer be beholden to lobbyists and corporations.

What we saw in the Clinton Foundation emails and Doug Band stuff, was a window into how the personal enrichment of politicians - by being given (literal or "honorary") seats on boards of directors of multiple companies, massive payments for speeches at financial institutions, huge consulting fees in exchange for special access and - though not explicitly spelled out - tacit implication of the possibility of policy influence, etc. works.

This can be found - if you dig - and people have been saying it for decades yet not enough people notice or care to speak up about it evidently, in every administration regardless of party for decades now. That's also why cabinets tend to feature people associated with people in those businesses or having had ties with them.

Nothing is going to change until we get big money out of politics. We all know this. We all say it every election. So much so that the last three candidates have promised to do so, and so has Trump. So I would say that has to be issue number one. That is the crux of all our woes - the impetus for all the legislation and policy that has put something other than the wellbeing of our own people at the forefront of the national agenda.

So now the question is: will he, can he, do that? I want to be optimistic (I did not vote for him - or Clinton - but I always give every new president the full benefit of the doubt,) and the course has not been set yet so anything is possible, but so far, the potential cabinet taking shape around him does not give me enormous hope that will happen. Nor the short lists of people he is considering.

John Bolton is presently his top foreign adviser and may or may not get a cabinet position. He's former co-director of Project For a New American Century, the now defunct think tank whose members and signatories helped fill out much of George W Bush's cabinet, and was a large proponent of the policy that led us to war in Iraq.

Jamie Dimon - someone Trump called "the worst banker in America," head of JPMorgan Chase bank, and someone who Hillary Clinton also had on her short list - has been proposed by Trump's advisers for secretary of the treasury. (Though Dimon has said he doesn't want the job, it's not encouraging to me that he's even considered.) On the other hand... he recently criticized him again, as well.

Newt Gingrinch is far from an outsider to Washington politics as usual, obviously.

The list goes on.

So we shall see. I think this is in the long term and big picture - beyond party, beyond political ideology, beyond left and right - by far the biggest and most important issue for the future of governing this country. Everything else stems from that in my opinion. It's how we ensure our elected officials care about us rather than their own bank accounts. It's how we prevent conflicts of interest.

Because it's so important, I choose to remain hopeful right now. I hope for his success in tackling it, and more importantly, genuine will and commitment to doing so in the first place.

Peace.
edit on 11/11/2016 by AceWombat04 because: Typos

edit on 11/11/2016 by AceWombat04 because: Ditto

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I have a question...

I see what you mean. Perhaps I'm expecting to much. Well, if that's the way they want it...I can play that game as well.

Gotta have a tough skin. And/Or walk away for awhile occasionally.

Pick and choose. You don't have to engage everyone.

If I'm not having fun - - - I take a break.

edit on 11-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

That's what's been so frustrating to see, with David Bossie of Citizen United fame signing on with the Trump Campaign.

There's Move To Amend organized to get rid of Citizens United. They state

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling and other related cases, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights

and Represent Us

How conservatives and progressives came together to break big money's grip on power.

and things are progressing

South Dakota passed America’s first statewide Anti-Corruption Act. 12 states and communities nationwide joined them.

re the names.... PNAC again!! They don''t give up, we can't either! We need to move on them like a bitch and grab their ....

As someone once said, "fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

That measure was on our California State ballot, and it passed!

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Anyone know of a good news site (Centrist if possible) that doesn't use pictures?

Neither Trump or Pence are faces I want to look at.

Yes, I am being serious.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

I absolutely agree. That is one of his campaign promises I desperately want to see.

That's why it was so hilarious when pundits tried to use the "but Republicans hate him" argument to try and drag him down. Both parties are guilty as sin... so if he's scaring both parties, that to me means he's doing something right. It actually sounded like praise instead of degradation.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Hillary ISN'T winning the popular vote actually - not that it matters anyway - because that's not how you decide the election. I think you'll find that Trump won Michigan (which even now, they refuse to call for some reason...), and Michigan would make him the winner of the Popular vote too (which he is). However due to the massive amount of Dem election rigging, the Dems could never risk a re-count, as it would expose their treachery for all to see.
edit on 12-11-2016 by jimbo999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimbo999

Hillary ISN'T winning the popular vote actually - not that it matters anyway - because that's not how you decide the election. I think you'll find that Trump won Michigan (which even now, they refuse to call for some reason...), and Michigan would make him the winner of the Popular vote too (which he is). However due to the massive amount of Dem election rigging, the Dems could never risk a re-count, as it would expose their treachery for all to see.

Wrong. I'm beginning to think the good people of ATS should vacate ATS. I think it has been overrun with misinformation trolls. Trump appears to be a product of it.

Last count I checked, Hillary won the popular vote by nearly 400,000 votes.
edit on 12-11-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reuters and npr

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I have a question...

Sigh. I know, right?

It's all I can do to log in here lately. The deed is done. Now we have to start working toward what we want this country to be like. We don't have the incessant politicking 24/7. We're ALL SICK about this, and that's the message I'm hearing not just from inside my own head as I watch those around me try to cope.....but from my favored talking heads, too.

We see it. We feel it. We all are to some extent dumbstruck.
I just want everyone to take a breath, simmer down, and get back to constructive dialogue. Might not ever be like that here again, though. That's the sad realization I'm coming to. It's become more like reddit and youtube and less like intelligent analysis and speculation.

I'm tired. I'll give it a few more days to see if it smooth over at all. But if it doesn't, and it remains Trump Central, I'll be vacating to my room at DailyKos. Because this sucks. It's hard enough with winter coming on -- but with constant lightning, rain, and cold, damp winds...yeah - I know where the door is.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Hey, that is very good news!! I wondered about being on the "state ballot", because I thought, "What did I miss??", but then I looked at their website and found out that it was a local initiative so was not on my area ballot. You know, it's a start. Good for SF!!!

To be honest, I've refused to look at any news this week, because it's all been so out of whack for so long, but I may need to at least look for things that are positive and good, like what you just shared with us.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join