It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Republicans, congratulations.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Republicans, congratulations (no sarcasm). I fully expected you to get obliterated today, so I'm still a bit flabbergasted & admittedly horrified.

At the time of this writing, Trump is only 25 or 26 electoral votes away from the Presidency; the Senate looks like it will stay Republican controlled (it's 48-47 right now); Republicans have kept control of the House of Representatives; and Republicans are likely to keep control of the majority of Governorships and State legislatures. (Insert expletive of choice).

While everyone was focusing on the freakshow presidential campaign, Republican-led States shut down massive numbers of polling places, reduced the number of early voting days, introduced new voter ID laws, and purged a lot of inactive voters from voting rolls (like the Crosscheck system).

As much as I want to hate you for this, I can't. These plans took months and even years in some cases to be put into place, yet neither the Green Party nor the Democratic Party did anything about them. I'm not talking about rhetoric, I mean actual policies. And instead of making these things the main topic for the campaign season, we/they turned it into a mud slinging freakshow that ignored all semblance of policy discussions. In other words, Republican leadership was playing Shoji while we we playing chess and thinking you were playing checkers. (facepalm)

Make no mistake, I still loathe your policy positions & nearly everything you stand for. We won't agree much or at all when it comes to policy positions, federal appointees, proposed legislation, etc. But you already know this, right?
I'm the type that gets even more aggressive and pushes even harder when pressured, so I think this has finally kicked me out of my semi-complacent slumber.

In other words, I look forward to getting as involved as possible in the actual system & attempting to overturn as many of your gains as possible, even if that means joining up with the wretched Democrats. Either way, I'll still tip my hats off to you & congratulate you on the night.

Oh yeah, if by some miracle Trump manages to lose, this has still been a massive wake up call. Unfortunately while my vision isn't perfect, I'm starting to see some writings on the wall.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

but it was rigged

actually no it wasnt, youre very gracious i doubt the trumpeters would be gracious at all if hillary had won

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Thank you.

But it's disappointing to see that your still ingrained in the 2 party system.

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
In other words, I look forward to getting as involved as possible in the actual system & attempting to overturn as many of your gains as possible, even if that means joining up with the wretched Democrats. Either way, I'll still tip my hats off to you & congratulate you on the night.

Trump is an independent that ran on a party ticket, and defeated BOTH major parties in the process.

Trump's victory will pave the way for alternative and third party candidates in the future. This is a political revolution, don't get sucked back into the system so easily my friend.

This is just the beginning. MAGA!

edit on 9-11-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

I was starting to wonder where you were brother.

Break out the champaign!

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: lortl

My family made it through the Bush years and the post-9/11 anti-Muslim hysteria. And both of my parents grew up when America was still racially segregated. So as bad as this sounds, we're kind of acclimated for what's to come (I think).

Ironically, I've had a thread in the works for a while about the real methods for "rigging" elections, such as voter suppression and electioneering tactics. But I wouldn't make the thread because I didn't want to give them any ideas. Oh well. lol

I think I'll start looking for Democratic Party volunteer positions ASAP while continuing my work w/some of my friends to get the Green Party more established in my State. Then again, I haven't talked to any of them today so they may be done w/3rd parties now. We'll see.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Thank you.

Trump is an independent that ran on a party ticket, and defeated BOTH major parties in the process.

Trump's victory will pave the way for alternative and third party candidates in the future. This is a political revolution, don't get sucked back into the system so easily my friend.

Sorry, but I disagree. That fool is supposedly looking to add Newt Gingrich and Guiliani into his Cabinet, among others. And he'll definitely appoint far right nominees to the Supreme Court if he pulls through. Not to mention, he may end up with a fully Republican controlled Congress (and there's no way the Senate will confirm Obama's pick now).

3rd parties are great idealistically. But in practice, they simply don't have the infrastructure or numbers at the State or local level. 3rd parties would need a true revolution involving affiliates to join election committees, school boards, city councils, and a bunch of other positions just to have a hand in any actual policy making. My friends & I have tried for the last year to get people to either become 3rd party candidates or to at least join the system. But no one on the left seems to want to touch politics.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Indeed, Trump won, congratulations to his supporters. Not going to dispute the results, not going to argue about Trump on this thread. He won, the people spoke. Many of us who predicted otherwise will be eating humble pie, including myself. Heck I even argued Trump was a Hillary plant.

It's going to be an interesting 4 years.

I think the biggest losers are those who actually put bets for Hillary. It's one sobering night.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Thank you.

Very , very wise post...

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Thank you.

I voted for Stein so don't give me that crap. However, there are literally 2 Green Party county branches in my State and there were exactly ZERO Green Party candidates on the ballot other than Stein. And this includes our general elections for State and local positions.

My State is staunchly Republican and nearly every county and local position is filled with Republicans. So what can the Greens actually do here when they can't even field a team of candidates? They have no political power here, no State or local plan here, and don't even have a base to choose Green candidates, Green advisors, Green appointees, or Green judicial appointees from. I want results not hopeful idealism. Even if I ran here and won as a Green candidate, I'd have no political allies here and no experienced Greens to put in my administration.

If my friends are still going to try to get the Green Party established here, I'll keep helping them. But I'm not going to sit around for decades waiting on some pipe dream while my conservative colleagues are voting for a dude who says he wants to add more surveillance & police in my communities and add me into a special database for Muslims. What is the Green party doing about that? What are they going to do about it in the next 2 years, much less the next 4 years? I wonder if we'll even hear from them again before the 2020 election cycle. And the same goes for the Libertarians, btw.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

That's why they have to start locally. Forget the national scene--that's a no go from the start. Get people on city councils, the state house, county commissioners.

Start small. that's my advice anyway. Take it for whatever it's worth.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
S&F for the OP:

Hind sight will show that the constant leaks against Hillary was her eventual downfall.

The argument will be, at this point, whether those leaks were justified and did they actually influence the election.

None of that will matter in the long run, just as some have argued that the 22 million deleted republican emails... that will never matter in the long run either.

Donald Trump will become the President on Inauguration Day unless he is arrested or dies.

That is pretty much a fact.
edit on R542016-11-09T02:54:59-06:00k5411Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R582016-11-09T02:58:55-06:00k5811Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

That's why they have to start locally. Forget the national scene--that's a no go from the start. Get people on city councils, the state house, county commissioners.

Start small. that's my advice anyway. Take it for whatever it's worth.

You're completely correct. But from my experience over the last year, it doesn't seem like "progressives" want to be involved in government jobs at the local level. They even look at me like I'm suspicious for wanting to be a politician, as if marching & demanding that elected officials implement their needs is a better way to get results than writing the laws ourselves. (facepalm)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

What you said is correct, but there's a lot more to it. It starts with the fact that Democrats picked a candidate that has literally been demonized by the right wing for decades. Their hate for the Clintons is way too strong; it's even stronger than their hate for Obama. Ironically, Trump was the only Republican that Hillary seemed capable of beating & even his constant scandals weren't enough to get her over the top.

It should've been a warning sign that Repubs had a Benghazi witchhunt against her for years and have tried to make the email scandal into a similar years-long witchhunt. But when constantly confronted w/those warnings (among others) during the primaries, the Democratic websites and forums would shun the actual left wing voters. I mean sites like DailyKos and Democratic Underground, which literally started banning Bernie supporters and anti-Hillary talking points after Super Tuesday.

Even right now there is a large backlash on their sites attacking 3rd party voters, as if their own arrogance & treatment of us didn't push us away in the first place. But I guess it's a lot easier to blame us for this than to blame their own corruption in the DNC, their incompetence in campaigning & choosing candidates, their abandonment of the issues in favor of making this a freakshow pissing contest, etc.

Ok, gotta go for a while. I have to pick up my sister this morning & then help my nephew get ready for school. Then the adults may have to get together to figure out what to do next.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

It was close. I didn't think Trump would win.

Should be an interesting 4 years.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Another lesson for the ones who take things for granted before D day, I said it after Brexit, the north pole is now the south pole kind of mentality shift.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I'm not a Republican, but I still thank you for your graciousness. There were many things said and done during this election cycle that should never have been done or said. I hope posts and statements like yours are the norm now. It is time to heal.

I'm the type that gets even more aggressive and pushes even harder when pressured, so I think this has finally kicked me out of my semi-complacent slumber.

You, sir, fight against those things you despise more effectively than you know. You spread knowledge freely. I have seen you do this. Please, by all means, continue to fight the good fight. And I will promise you this: if I see racism or poor judgement or corruption raise their ugly heads, I will stand beside you and add my voice to yours.

I can do that again now.

Fear not the Gingrich; you may find he is not the evil you expect. Guilliani... not so sure. We'll see.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It was close. I didn't think Trump would win.

Should be an interesting 4 years.

Interesting is an understatement. I have no clue if Trump will:

1. Go along with the Republicans' traditional plans (which I'm usually against).

2. Be a wildcard that actually tries to push through both "left" and "right" proposals.

3. Be wild and reckless, and thus causing all sides to try to push him out

or 4. Prove to be a Hillary plant, add Michelle Obama and/or Hillary into his Cabinet, and push through some of his former liberal ideas. LOL

#4 doesn't seem very likely but at this point, who knows what will happen anymore.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I appreciate the kind words. Though I can't lie, I don't feel gracious at all. My family & our communities are pretty stressed trying to figure out just how much of his rhetoric was real or not. For examples, my dad and his associates are still midway through building a new mosque. And the university where he teaches has a huge scholarship program with various Arabian Gulf countries. Who knows what's going to happen with any of them (or the Somalian & Kurdish immigrants I'm cool with).

And so far, the consensus among us has been that Congress will probably be a much bigger threat than him. Because now there will be no risk of a presidential veto when they try once again to repeal Obamacare/ACA, whether or not they have a replacement for it. And who knows if they'll try to overturn Roe vs Wade, the Supreme Court's decision to strike down gay marriage bans, the Iran nuclear deal, or who knows what else.

So nah, I'm not feeling too gracious right now. However, I didn't think it would be fair for me to gloat, brag, and boast about Trump getting obliterated come election day, only to run away & hide when he wins. So once again, I'm having to eat humble pie. Is it bad that I'm growing to like the taste of it?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I've chowed down on that humble pie a few times myself. It's an acquired taste.

Let me try to ease your mind on some of those issues. Here's my perspective, and what I expect (demand) in return for my vote:

Immigration: We're talking about illegal immigrants, or those who can not prove who they are. Not legal immigration. I actually want that expended and streamlined. I think Trump does too.

A student is always legal, especially one with a scholarship. I can see no other way that could happen. So a new immigration policy enforcing the border and opening the legal channels would help your father, not hurt him.

Religious freedom: I am an aging redneck from the deep heart of Alabama. Do you think I want to ban all of the Muslim faith?

I don't think Trump does either. He's only responding to those who abuse the religion to excuse terrorism. No one else.

Obamacare has failed my friend. The premiums are skyrocketing, the number of options are decreasing, deductibles are through the roof... and folks like me still have to rely on charity when we get ill. There are a few things that were good in it, and those should be included in a replacement plan. But as I see it, the plan overall has failed and needs to be replaced with one that works.

I don't think the country will stand for an overturn of Roe vs. Wade... I wouldn't want to see abortion criminalized... but maybe restrictions on partial birth abortions. But I see that as common sense. If it is a child now, it was a child two seconds ago on the other side of some flesh.

Gay marriage is a tricky one, given. There is also the issue of a state's right to govern itself.

The Iran deal was a mess from the start. We need to stop trying to control Iran and start talking to them. I think Trump will reset that whole dynamic, just as he plans to do with Russia, Iran's ally. Clinton angered Russia and openly admitted she planned to continue doing so.

I know, my friend, these all sound pretty scary, but as I said... I will cry long and loud if I see anyone's rights being trampled upon, no matter who is doing the trampling. And there's a lot more like me. Those you see as potential enemies can also be seen as potential allies.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

a reply to: TheRedneck

I appreciate the kind words. Though I can't lie, I don't feel gracious at all. My family & our communities are pretty stressed trying to figure out just how much of his rhetoric was real or not. For examples, my dad and his associates are still midway through building a new mosque. And the university where he teaches has a huge scholarship program with various Arabian Gulf countries. Who knows what's going to happen with any of them (or the Somalian & Kurdish immigrants I'm cool with).

And so far, the consensus among us has been that Congress will probably be a much bigger threat than him. Because now there will be no risk of a presidential veto when they try once again to repeal Obamacare/ACA, whether or not they have a replacement for it. And who knows if they'll try to overturn Roe vs Wade, the Supreme Court's decision to strike down gay marriage bans, the Iran nuclear deal, or who knows what else.

So nah, I'm not feeling too gracious right now. However, I didn't think it would be fair for me to gloat, brag, and boast about Trump getting obliterated come election day, only to run away & hide when he wins. So once again, I'm having to eat humble pie. Is it bad that I'm growing to like the taste of it?

That's good to admit your mistakes but try working on your ignorance in the future.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join